Isnt it nice

Simondi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So we have had our ZSEV just over a week and are now at 300 miles - not too bad for lock down over Christmas.
Have to say that it is a really nice car to own and drive. Still a bit jumpy over the range but a charge of around an hour puts on a 100 miles so that's ok. Defrosts really quickly and the heated seats are a blessing🙂

Really enjoying it so far and will feel even happier when we have a charger installed at home

So we have had our ZSEV just over a week and are now at 300 miles - not too bad for lock down over Christmas.
Have to say that it is a really nice car to own and drive. Still a bit jumpy over the range but a charge of around an hour puts on a 100 miles so that's ok. Defrosts really quickly and the heated seats are a blessing🙂

Really enjoying it so far and will feel even happier when we have a charger installed at home
You’ll find the range will increase a fair bit in the better weather too; agree with you that’s it is a great car to own and drive.

Same here! Aside being confused by the auto-hold, I am impressed with the quality, features and comfort. The winter weather does appear to restrict the range but I think this is common with all EV‘s. If you look up Electric Vehicle Life on YouTube there’s a fantastic 9 minute video on dealing with range anxiety - not that I am anxious but I found some very useful practical tips.

What home charger are you going for?

Same here! Aside being confused by the auto-hold, I am impressed with the quality, features and comfort. The winter weather does appear to restrict the range but I think this is common with all EV‘s. If you look up Electric Vehicle Life on YouTube there’s a fantastic 9 minute video on dealing with range anxiety - not that I am anxious but I found some very useful practical tips.

Auto hold is the devil's work, I don't use it, I'm perfectly capable of choosing when to put the parking brake on or not all by myself. ;)

I have a very steep drive and almost crashed into the garage doors first time I parked the MG ZS EV as it would lurch forward uncontrollably. Also had stop/start trouble reversing back up the drive. The problem was my tendency to touch the brake while Autohold was on. Turned it off and it is a smooth, easy operation now.

@JohnF If I was you I’d chock the wheels as well because the hand brake is all that stops the car ploughing into your garage. The transmission does not lock like a traditional auto.
Mine slid forward a foot or so, on melting ice on a steep slope, when I was parked in P.

Have to say I'm really confused by them. I'm off tomorrow ( Scottish Public Holiday) so am going to make a few phone calls.

I don't seem to have any problems with my Auto-hold, it is working fine and just in the same way Auto-Hold works in Outlander PHEV (just saying it as a comparison that MG Auto-Hold does not seem to be in any way unique/weird)
What issue do you guys face with Auto-Hold ?

I can add that it works exactly the same as the Auto-hold works in VAGs as well, the only real difference between auto-hold in an ICE and EV is that you have to be gentler on the go pedal, as you are effectively right foot breaking and building up a few milliseconds of launch control as your car puts down its 300+ N m of torque = spiny McSpin wheels, this was exactly the same in the e-Golf I had prior. Since day one I've had Auto-hold turned on and haven't turned it off since. I like how it kills creep at junctions.

I did have to do a 3 point turn in a 25degree sloped car park that was a black ice skating rink yesterday, that was fun, knocked regen down to 1 and had to let the tyres slip a little as i exited from R into D (and I have all weather Goodyears' on), but once it had momentum it was fine. I think that is key, things like regen, auto-hold and traction control as sometimes not your friend when you need momentum up (or even down, much better to control velocity with friction braking) a slope in icy and snowy weather. At least I wasn't one of the two poor RWD cars that had entered the car park and were completely stuck.

Last edited:
I don't seem to have any problems with my Auto-hold, it is working fine and just in the same way Auto-Hold works in Outlander PHEV (just saying it as a comparison that MG Auto-Hold does not seem to be in any way unique/weird)
What issue do you guys face with Auto-Hold ?
It works incredibly well now that I understand it requires the seat belt to be worn.

Glad you are enjoying it. Love mine too. Just seen another in our village! (Cuckfield) I don't have a fast charger but just plug in the 3 pin lead and leave overnight. Can get to Finchley and back with 30 miles to spare! Great car.

I have a Golf GTD and am getting my new 5 in a couple of weeks time. My GTD has auto hold as it is an automatic. It took a bit of getting used to but i found that if you tap the accelerator gently then it disengages the auto hold the use the accelerator normally does the trick. I hope the same thing works in the 5.

Hi Dave ,
Have you ever sat in traffic and the automatic car in front (especially at night) has his stop lights on. It's probably because the driver is too lazy to put the handbrake on.
My pervious car was was an Outlander PHEV which would creep forward all the time at traffic lights etc, which was a nuisance, but it did have a "proper old school handbrake".
When I got my ZS, I was pleased as punch to have autohold and on a journey it is wonderful, but a major problem when manoeuvring, parking etc, so just turn it off and the car is perfectly well behaved.

My GTD when stopped at lights with my foot off the brake pedal still shows brake lights...only way to stop this is to put it in park mode in common with most autos now...no idea if my MG 5 will do the same at lights when auto hold is on.

Hi Dave ,
Have you ever sat in traffic and the automatic car in front (especially at night) has his stop lights on. It's probably because the driver is too lazy to put the handbrake on.
My pervious car was was an Outlander PHEV which would creep forward all the time at traffic lights etc, which was a nuisance, but it did have a "proper old school handbrake".
When I got my ZS, I was pleased as punch to have autohold and on a journey it is wonderful, but a major problem when manoeuvring, parking etc, so just turn it off and the car is perfectly well behaved.
I don't use it, but does Auto hold hold the parking brake or the footbrake ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom