Issues with Android Auto

ajcooper

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone else come across the following issues with Android Auto? I've got the Trophy long range.

• use Google Assistant to set directions, it acknowledges the destination, says its setting the destination and then does nothing
  • dark mode is not remembered. If the settings say dark mode it sometimes stays in light mode. Auto mode is random, can be bright white at 1am in the morning!
  • Spotify app can play for 1 second before pausing, unplugging the phone and starting again generally fixes this issue.

Has anyone else come across the following issues with Android Auto? I've got the Trophy long range.

• use Google Assistant to set directions, it acknowledges the destination, says its setting the destination and then does nothing
  • dark mode is not remembered. If the settings say dark mode it sometimes stays in light mode. Auto mode is random, can be bright white at 1am in the morning!
  • Spotify app can play for 1 second before pausing, unplugging the phone and starting again generally fixes this issue.
Yes...

I have had all these. My map is NEVER in dark mode which really narks me.
I haven't used google assistant for much as try not to use my phone in any capacity when driving and I like sat nav to be functioning before i set off.
The "spotify" problem isn't just with spotify, it happens to Amazon Music and Audible on my phone.
I also get frequent freezing of Android Auto when inputting a destination on google maps (I wish Waze was an option again) requiring me to unplug and plug in again.

I also have a Trophy LR :)

Yes...

I have had all these. My map is NEVER in dark mode which really narks me.
I haven't used google assistant for much as try not to use my phone in any capacity when driving and I like sat nav to be functioning before i set off.
The "spotify" problem isn't just with spotify, it happens to Amazon Music and Audible on my phone.
I also get frequent freezing of Android Auto when inputting a destination on google maps (I wish Waze was an option again) requiring me to unplug and plug in again.

I also have a Trophy LR :)
At least it's not just me then!

The problem with the sat nav is that you can't change the destination mid journey, even the passenger can't interact as the keyboard is rightly not available when driving.

Me too. If I speak to AA, (Hey Google), it will respond with the bar at the bottom of the screen and then disappear. Occasionally it will work, usually when first powered up, but after that, nothing.

I've recently had problems with Android Auto too - losing some apps, not remembering last app open or which point in playlists. I uninstalled and reinstalled on my phone and it's fine now. I think one of the recent updates may have had some bugs.

Me too. If I speak to AA, (Hey Google), it will respond with the bar at the bottom of the screen and then disappear. Occasionally it will work, usually when first powered up, but after that, nothing.
I have only tried AA a couple of times.

If i tell use the "hey google" button it will respond with the "listening" bar, but it will never actually "hear" me and/or write any of what i am saying.

That one time i used it, it did not work for calls either, i could hear the other part, but i was unable to use the built in microphone, the other part was unable to hear me at all.

We are certainly not alone:

t3.com

There are quite a few sites out there which report the same issue. Such is my annoyance with this, I have tried just about every potential fix going, with no luck whatsoever. Looks like we will all have to wait for Google to sort it out.😫

At least today, I have been able to (thanks to @hmadsen) update my maps which went smoothly in about 25 minutes. 👏

Last edited:
Hi, my phone seems to work better on Android Auto if I clear all the apps running in the background then reboot the phone before plugging it in. I have an old phone so it might be struggling.

I have only tried AA a couple of times.

If i tell use the "hey google" button it will respond with the "listening" bar, but it will never actually "hear" me and/or write any of what i am saying.

That one time i used it, it did not work for calls either, i could hear the other part, but i was unable to use the built in microphone, the other part was unable to hear me at all.
Same for me (mg zs ev 2022 luxury) but only when I'm driving. When I'm stopped, then it works well... strange test it with 3 phones and 2 differents cables. There is also an AA error code 18 on my phone

Same for me (mg zs ev 2022 luxury) but only when I'm driving. When I'm stopped, then it works well... strange test it with 3 phones and 2 differents cables. There is also an AA error code 18 on my phone
Glad to hear that i am not the only one.

What phone brand and model do you have ?

Mine is a Oneplus 9, maybe if you have the same it's an incompatibility with the phone ?

I have been looking high and low for a setting, because i thought that it might be because i had disallowed AA to use the microphone, but i found nothing.

Glad to hear that i am not the only one.

What phone brand and model do you have ?

Mine is a Oneplus 9, maybe if you have the same it's an incompatibility with the phone ?

I have been looking high and low for a setting, because i thought that it might be because i had disallowed AA to use the microphone, but i found nothing.
I tried 3 differents phone (Huawey P10 Lite, samsuns galaxy s10 and Samsung Axx) with 2 different cable. unfortunatly with the same result.

The problem with the sat nav is that you can't change the destination mid journey, even the passenger can't interact as the keyboard is rightly not available when driving.

Using voice commands available with the Connect version of the Trophy you are able to cancel your trip and set a new destination while driving :)

I use AA on a Mk 1 ZSEV. No problems at all. Samsung Galaxy S7. It usually takes a 2nd plug-in to make it work but once working it is stable for the whole journey.

the voice commands through google are exquisite though... I control my sat nav with voice all the time through Android Auto, both on Waze and Google Maps

I have the 1 second of music issue when using Amazon music via Android Auto - Has anyone managed to resolve this yet? Is it an issue with Android Auto or the MG?

The 1 second issue is Android Auto. I had it in my Alfa as well. unplug/plug normally does the trick

I have the 1 second of music issue when using Amazon music via Android Auto - Has anyone managed to resolve this yet? Is it an issue with Android Auto or the MG?
I've found that if you call somebody and disconnect the call. The music should start playing.

OK, so on my Android phone I went into:

settings > apps > amazon music > battery

and changed the setting FROM Optimised TO Unrestricted.

So far this seems to have resolved my issue on the 3 trips I've made since.

I guess the same principle might apply to Spotify etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom