Issues with Gridserve chargers.

Mind the GAP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Folks.
has anyone had issues with charging at Grid Serve sites? I have MG5 LG and find that I often get ‘Car Not Connected’ or ‘Connect Car’ messages on the charger. It will the keep the CCS connected locked in my car until in open doors, windows and play with the keys for about 2 minutes. If it fails no matter what I do, it will not work. Ever after starting again, replace connector on holder. If another unit is available then I can move to that and works ok if I don’t try and use the same card more then three times on the charger that didn’t work.
getting very frustrated with public charging and finding that all this messing around costs me 15 - 20 of wasted time with no charge. Is it me?
And help, advice and tips welcome. Thanks.

Hi Folks.
has anyone had issues with charging at Grid Serve sites? I have MG5 LG and find that I often get ‘Car Not Connected’ or ‘Connect Car’ messages on the charger. It will the keep the CCS connected locked in my car until in open doors, windows and play with the keys for about 2 minutes. If it fails no matter what I do, it will not work. Ever after starting again, replace connector on holder. If another unit is available then I can move to that and works ok if I don’t try and use the same card more then three times on the charger that didn’t work.
getting very frustrated with public charging and finding that all this messing around costs me 15 - 20 of wasted time with no charge. Is it me?
And help, advice and tips welcome. Thanks.

Is it one of the new gridserve chargers or an older ecotricity one? Some of the older chargers here in Scotland won't charge the MG5 or some of the other bigger battery EVs.

Another possibility is that there's something slightly amiss with the locking pin on your car, the error you are getting suggests the charger is not getting confirmation that the connector is locked in place (this might also explain the not unlocking as it doesn't think it's locked in the first place.

Evening, I've heard previously from gridserve that setting up make and models can be complicated as most manufacturers don't follow exactly the same process. They do however seem to get new vehicles set up fairly quickly from what I've heard with interviews they've had about it (pinch of salt my be required). Recommends are to call them when you're at one of their locations and not working to see if they can sort it there and then... Otherwise, hopefully they will sort it quickly and you won't have an issue next time. Sound very frustrating though when you've got a new car and it won't work!

Is it one of the new gridserve chargers or an older ecotricity one? Some of the older chargers here in Scotland won't charge the MG5 or some of the other bigger battery EVs.

Another possibility is that there's something slightly amiss with the locking pin on your car, the error you are getting suggests the charger is not getting confirmation that the connector is locked in place (this might also explain the not unlocking as it doesn't think it's locked in the first place.
Thanks. It’s always been the new Grid Serve ones. Found one Ecotricity one but that was switched off. I’ll take a closer look at the CCS connector next time.

The connector will be fine, they are all made exactly the same size. Try some other chargers to see of the problem repeats, if it does then get the car checked over.

The connector will be fine, they are all made exactly the same size. Try some other chargers to see of the problem repeats, if it does then get the car checked over.
GeniePoint works first time every time. and Osprey worked on the one occasion I used that. BP works once I spoken to their help line and they reset and start a charge with my email address and account details. Some GridServe do work. Pod point on Type 2 in my local town works fine first time every time too.

Have tried Wetherby Gridserve chargers on 3 occasions with my ZS now and yet to get a charge without calling helpline and getting them to start a session for me. I have tried all 3 of the units multiple times. The guy on the support desk told me that they have the most issues with MG followed by iPace, most other models seem to work OK suggesting it is a vehicle or comms issue.

Maybe it is my car and a a software update will fix it? Maybe it is just Wetherby? To be fair I rarely need to use a rapid charger but for the time being I'm avoiding using Gridserve chargers.

Have tried Wetherby Gridserve chargers on 3 occasions with my ZS now and yet to get a charge without calling helpline and getting them to start a session for me. I have tried all 3 of the units multiple times. The guy on the support desk told me that they have the most issues with MG followed by iPace, most other models seem to work OK suggesting it is a vehicle or comms issue.

Maybe it is my car and a a software update will fix it? Maybe it is just Wetherby? To be fair I rarely need to use a rapid charger but for the time being I'm avoiding using Gridserve chargers.
I've had issues with my MG5 at Wetherby. I found was specific to a charger. I was on the middle one with no luck and then swapped to the right hand charger and it worked first time. Someone else in a Peugeot turned up and used the middle charger without issue.

I've had issues at other sites too.

GeniePoint works first time every time. and Osprey worked on the one occasion I used that. BP works once I spoken to their help line and they reset and start a charge with my email address and account details. Some GridServe do work. Pod point on Type 2 in my local town works fine first time every time too.

Sounds like a charger issue then, possibly firmware, avoid those if you can.

I've had issues with my MG5 at Wetherby. I found was specific to a charger.

I've had issues at other sites too.

The MG5 definitely has compatibility problems with some chargers, I can only speak for Scotland but there are a number of older units here that just don't like the 5 at all and won't start a charge on it.

The MG5 definitely has compatibility problems with some chargers, I can only speak for Scotland but there are a number of older units here that just don't like the 5 at all and won't start a charge on it.
Yeah, sounds like compatibility issues. Emailed Grid Serve last night asking if they knew of issues with MG5. Got a reply this morning saying they do not know of any issues with MG5’s but want to know the units that I’ve had problems with. I’ll reply later. Trouble is I’m kind of reliant on the Gridserve network. If it‘s a 50/50 working/not working going on, then I’ll have to bin the MG5 and go back to petrol. Not something I want to do and I’ve been trying to prove to colleagues and friends that electric cars are good for long journeys too. So far I’ve not been able to confirm that yet with this issue. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, sounds like compatibility issues. Emailed Grid Serve last night asking if they knew of issues with MG5. Got a reply this morning saying they do not know of any issues with MG5’s but want to know the units that I’ve had problems with. I’ll reply later. Trouble is I’m kind of reliant on the Gridserve network. If it‘s a 50/50 working/not working going on, then I’ll have to bin the MG5 and go back to petrol. Not something I want to do and I’ve been trying to prove to colleagues and friends that electric cars are good for long journeys too. So far I’ve not been able to confirm that yet with this issue. Thanks for your reply.

It's very unlikely that new chargers are not compatible, I've only once used a new gridserve and it worked first time. More likely some issue with firmware that they can correct probably online.

i have had a few problems with the new gridserve ones as well.
at cobham services i have found one out of the 3 units will work. and one i tried at clacket lane did the same.

it has been suggested try holding the ccs plug in while it is doing the handshake, as it may help, but i have not tried this yet.

i have had a few problems with the new gridserve ones as well.
at cobham services i have found one out of the 3 units will work. and one i tried at clacket lane did the same.

it has been suggested try holding the ccs plug in while it is doing the handshake, as it may help, but i have not tried this yet.

This was a fix for some older chargers also, but if there's a problem with the locking pin you'll hear it repeatedly trying to lock.

Used gridserve chargers in 8 locations so far (old unit to Braintree and several in-between), some multiple times and never had an issue with it working - not even needing to unplug and starting the handshake process. My mg5 exclusive has not missed a beat with them

Had fun tonight 😂 Hilton northbound no joy, tried southbound and it worked. Anyone else had issue on the M6?

A0336074-04FF-43F4-990D-27A2B397F11B.jpeg

Paid a visit to Toddington Services (North) last night. GridServe unit. Worked first time. Pleased with that. I’ll keep a note on the Grid Serve ones that play up with my MG5. I have emailed them all the units that I’ve had trouble with. We’ll see what comes of that.

Going to start a new thread regarding BP Pulse. Always having to ring them up to start a charge, release a cable or App issues. This is not a car - charger issue however.

Gridserve rapid chargers are pretty much the only kind we've used and we've never had a problem other than one mahine at Durham services with a dody conctless interface which we got working eventually.

Had a few problems yesterday coming from Glasgow to South Derbyshire (A/M 74 and M6).
Todhills Carlisle had a unit out and was waiting for a Merc to finish on the other unit (also a Kona on it too), owner of Merc came back and we chatted as he disconnected and holstered the cable. Unseen by me an iPace pulled up other side of the Kona and grabbed the cable and plugged in. I told him it was my turn, his response was 'you snooze you lose'.

We had enough to get Westmoreland Tebay so did so (very angry).
Got there and the two units were in use, (services was RAMMED with cars and people), had to wait to get in and found that both units would only charge one car at a time. There was a Kona on the CCS stopped charging at 80% but mine wouldn't start due to the one car only issue (confirmed by their phone support). So tried the other unit and it finally connected. Started getting some charge but it was continually disconnecting. So much so that my card got blocked with so many attempts to charge. Gave up at 72%

Decided to stop and charge and have a comfort stop at White Carr Lane Lancaster.
Coffee and cake etc and came back to 95% charge, great job.

Last bit of top up at Knutsford and again no problem.

The issue caused by the iPace driver multiplied by making me have to stop at Tebay, which was frankly a nightmare, added in total two hours to our journey. He was in short a total male chicken.

Last edited:
Unfortunately these people have no respect for anything, even common courtesy. I'd be mortified if I accidentally jumped in front and would move/hand over the charger instantly after apologizing profusely.

What's more worrying is that these people have children who will probably share their lack of respect and so it goes on...

I have to admit it's these scenarios that don't help an already short supply of chargers that worries me most about EV ownership for long distance drivers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom