It Looks Like Speed Assist Systems Are On The Way For NCAP - Perhaps Default On?

Is it a great system? I’m not so sure. I think that it needs a complete overhaul. In many cases ncap is being used as a marketing tool by manufacturers, who look to get a tick in the box in order to give their cars a 5 star status
The real focus should be on safety systems that work and work well.
Yes, we’ve come a long way and crash testing has had a huge impact on safety, but recent developments show a naivety of what is effective in the real world and a loss of direction.
It is only really relevant at very low speed impacts. We could have (almost) death proof cars, this would mean complete motorsport type safety cages, harness type seatbelts, wearing of crash helmets (at least a scull cap type), neck brace, fire extinguisher system, etc etc. 34mph isn’t fast but at that speed a side impact has a 50% fatality rate. I had to do a speed awareness course for 33mph in a 30 zone and this topic was talked about a lot.

Up until recently too much focus has been on the vehicle occupants whilst ignoring any pedestrians and occupants of other vehicles. This has ignored the growth of SUVs etc unchecked.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom