Jolly holidays and extension leads

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
As title off on our jollies next month and am going to order an extension lead from toughleads.co.uk for use with the granny should I need it. I chose toughleads after much thought and anxiety over the cost. I hate spending more than I need, but decided the need for a recognised good 'un was more important than saving a few quid on the unknown, or even making one myself to high standard.

Anyway, I digress from my main point which is, what length should I get. The longer it is the bulkier it will be. Just how long should be long enough as a good compromise ? What would your choice be ?

I made my own using a 15m coil of 2.5mm immersion heater cable from Screwfix plus a good quality plug & socket. Works for me. Don’t forget that it’s only carrying about 10 amps or 2.4kW - not the full 13 amps.

I made my own using a 15m coil of 2.5mm immersion heater cable from Screwfix plus a good quality plug & socket. Works for me. Don’t forget that it’s only carrying about 10 amps or 2.4kW - not the full 13 amps.
So you went for 15m, how does this fare on the bulky vs length actually needed in practice scale ?

I did consider making my own but to be honest it wasn't worth it as I would have had to buy all the parts. (I don't have anything suitable hanging around unfortunately).

A little quote from the toughleads website for anyone else interested............

The 1.5mmsq vs 2.5mmsq flex debate seems to be the most common one with regards to EV leads on on-line forums, and sadly the most uniformed. For lengths of up to 20m, our advice is that the 1.5mmsq flex used in all of our leads is the best option for the following reasons (apologies for getting rather technical!):

• BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.
  • The IET Code of Practice for portable appliance testing allows a safe max length for 1.5mmsq flex without an RCD of 15m, and 30m with an RCD. When PAT testing an extension lead you check for the resistance of the earth- a 15m 1.5mmsq lead would be within the 0.2 ohm limit. Voltage drop on the same lead would be calculated according to the wiring regs as 5.17v, again well within the limit.

I use one of these without issue. I had to trim the rubber find around the cable opening for the granny lead to fit though Masterplug Weatherproof Garden Tidy Extension Lead - 15m 13A | Wickes.co.uk
I bought one of those and used it for the first time yesterday. i had the same issue as you as the lid of the plug cover kept popping open as the catch did not secure properly.

I will trim the rubber bung so that it closes properly. But it is a nice long lead and reasonably priced.

So you went for 15m, how does this fare on the bulky vs length actually needed in practice scale ?

I did consider making my own but to be honest it wasn't worth it as I would have had to buy all the parts. (I don't have anything suitable hanging around unfortunately).

A little quote from the toughleads website for anyone else interested............

The 1.5mmsq vs 2.5mmsq flex debate seems to be the most common one with regards to EV leads on on-line forums, and sadly the most uniformed. For lengths of up to 20m, our advice is that the 1.5mmsq flex used in all of our leads is the best option for the following reasons (apologies for getting rather technical!):

• BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.
  • The IET Code of Practice for portable appliance testing allows a safe max length for 1.5mmsq flex without an RCD of 15m, and 30m with an RCD. When PAT testing an extension lead you check for the resistance of the earth- a 15m 1.5mmsq lead would be within the 0.2 ohm limit. Voltage drop on the same lead would be calculated according to the wiring regs as 5.17v, again well within the limit.
That’s interesting indeed. I’ve only used it once & keep it in the car all the time with the granny charger. The flex is multi strand & was easily terminated in MK plug & socket.

Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.
A couple of reasons why terminating a standard reusable three pin plug, onto a round 2.5 mm cable is a actively discouraged, is likely to be one of the following.
Termination to the individual pins is difficult with single core conductors purly down to their cross sectional size.
The inside of the plug body can become a little “Busy” when using this size flex.
The cable restraining clamp, can also become over stained and fail if incorrectly installed because of the outside installation of the 2.5mm cable diameter.
One of the biggest safety factors, is the fear that when somebody try’s to attach a 2.5mm cable to a standard three pin plug, they intend to use it incorrectly to run a piece of electrical equipment that will pull a much higher load that a 13 Amp plug has NOT been safely designed to handle without over heating.
The 2.5mm cable can carry the higher intended load for longer periods of time, but the 13 amp plug will become compromised by heat and become unsafe.
Safer to actively discourage this type of practice altogether !.
Back in the day, old school two bar 2kw electric fires where fitted with of a “Of The Shelve” reusable 13 amp rated three pin plug.
People used these fires for hours and hours on end and never gave any though to why the 13 amp plug top became hot 🥵????.
For load carrying capacity, the cable can not be over sized, only undersized.
So, the electrical “Man Math’s” have stated that a 1.5mm cable is suitable to run a “Granny” unit over a given distance, then who Am I to argue ?.
The facts speak for themselves folks !.
We all have / had plastic consumer units installed in our houses, because it was decided that it was the safest material when dealing with electrics inside an enclosure.
Now, guess what !.
They have now changed their minds and we are all recommended to have installed “Metal” conductive consumer units instead, because of collapse due to the risk of fire !.

A couple of reasons why terminating a standard reusable three pin plug, onto a round 2.5 mm cable is a actively discouraged, is likely to be one of the following.
Termination to the individual pins is difficult with single core conductors purly down to their cross sectional size.
The inside of the plug body can become a little “Busy” when using this size flex.
The cable restraining clamp, can also become over stained and fail if incorrectly installed because of the outside installation of the 2.5mm cable diameter.
One of the biggest safety factors, is the fear that when somebody try’s to attach a 2.5mm cable to a standard three pin plug, they intend to use it incorrectly to run a piece of electrical equipment that will pull a much higher load that a 13 Amp plug has NOT been safely designed to handle without over heating.
The 2.5mm cable can carry the higher intended load for longer periods of time, but the 13 amp plug will become compromised by heat and become unsafe.
Safer to actively discourage this type of practice altogether !.
Back in the day, old school two bar 2kw electric fires where fitted with of a “Of The Shelve” reusable 13 amp rated three pin plug.
People used these fires for hours and hours on end and never gave any though to why the 13 amp plug top became hot 🥵????.
For load carrying capacity, the cable can not be over sized, only undersized.
So, the electrical “Man Math’s” have stated that a 1.5mm cable is suitable to run a “Granny” unit over a given distance, then who Am I to argue ?.
The facts speak for themselves folks !.
We all have / had plastic consumer units installed in our houses, because it was decided that it was the safest material when dealing with electrics inside an enclosure.
Now, guess what !.
They have now changed their minds and we are all recommended to have installed “Metal” conductive consumer units instead, because of collapse due to the risk of fire !.
I believe that 1.5mm cable is rated for c16amps, so plenty to spare for the 10amp granny. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom