Poalua

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The other day our 5 would not start. Pressed the start button and various lights flashed on the dash. On the second attempt, literally nothing happened!
We called MG assist and an AA guy arrived very quickly and diagnosed a flat 12v battery, there wad plenty of charge in the traction battery.
He jumped the battery using a battery booster and told me that you should attach the positive to the positive on the battery and the negative to a piece of bodywork and not the negative terminal.
Car started fine and he checked the 12v battery for charging and condition - all apparently fine.
He said that most of his callouts to ev's and hybrids were 12v battery problems.
As a result of this we bought a noco gb50 jump start battery. It says in the instructions to connect the booster clamps to the battery terminals both +ve and - ve. Not - ve to the bodywork, but the book didn't mention ev's.
Anyone know whats best to do?

The other day our 5 would not start. Pressed the start button and various lights flashed on the dash. On the second attempt, literally nothing happened!
We called MG assist and an AA guy arrived very quickly and diagnosed a flat 12v battery, there wad plenty of charge in the traction battery.
He jumped the battery using a battery booster and told me that you should attach the positive to the positive on the battery and the negative to a piece of bodywork and not the negative terminal.
Car started fine and he checked the 12v battery for charging and condition - all apparently fine.
He said that most of his callouts to ev's and hybrids were 12v battery problems.
As a result of this we bought a noco gb50 jump start battery. It says in the instructions to connect the booster clamps to the battery terminals both +ve and - ve. Not - ve to the bodywork, but the book didn't mention ev's.
Anyone know whats best to do?
A lot of cars store the 12 volt battery in the boot these days, so for a while now manufacturers have been installing jump positions under the bonnet for convenience.
Some have a LIVE &. NEGATIVE connection, some a negative to the bodyshell connection only.
It is recommended that the ground to body is used for jump starting when possible, but I don’t believe it makes a significant difference myself for a one off application.

Upvote 0
One of the problems is that the noco jump starter comes with really quite short leads and i can see it would be difficult to find a piece of suitable body to fix to.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom