• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Just add your vehicle in ABRP and hit "Link with ABRP OBD Connection"

Sorry to show that I don't know what you are on about I have a mg5 exclusive now Nealy a week love the car but what are these usb's you on about and what they do 🙂

Sorry to show that I don't know what you are on about I have a mg5 exclusive now Nealy a week love the car but what are these usb's you on about and what they do 🙂
If you look back up through the thread, you'll see images and links of OBD2 'dongles' that plug into the port in the car and work over bluetooth to your phone.

There are apps available for iOS and Android that allow the values such as State of Health (SOH), State of Charge (SOC), etc to be displayed. Other apps such as A Better Route Planner (ABRP) can also read this information now and plan changing stops based on that information.

The ZS seems to work better than the MG5 with these, which has just been added to ABRP and needs the dongle removed before locking car or the alarm gets set off.

None of these are essential to the daily use of the MG EVs, it just adds a few of the features that some of the more expensive makes/models (and newer ZS with an app) have as standard.

If your ODBII isn't too old (think you'll need bluetooth and copied this from the EvWatchdog's site:
"

Not every OBD2 adapter on the market will work with this App.​

In order to extract battery data from the interface the adapter must support a specific type of commands.​

Cheap generic OBD2 adapters available are known as "chinese clones" are built with low cost electronics and most do not support the required protocol.​

They are also usually slow and will normally fail with regular usage. When failing they might return erroneous data, just stop working or generate malfunction in the interface which will trigger errors in the car.​

"
I bought mine (VLinker FD+ with BT4) on Ali E. at a store with no questions asked return policy. But it works great and uses hardly any 12V. So I can leave it plugged in without worrying about the batterydrain.

I'm using the payed/premium version of ABRP. It's worth the €5 per month if you ask me.

Just tested it this morning. Without any further action than starting the car, ABRP connected and showed the SoC on the AA infoscreen.

Very Nice!
Is yours the facelift ZS or the original? I’m keen to buy a dongle (I have a SR trophy) but can’t seem to find anywhere if it will actually work

Have used ABRP for nearly a week of commuting. Running on my iPhone 13 using Apple Car play to mirror the screen. Some of the direction pronunciation is amusing such as "the 2nd exit on the roundaboutable"

However, I'm sure I'm missing something or not read the manual properly but not able to get live data working from my Bluetooth OBD adapter Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBDII which will communicate with Car Scanner but not showing in my list of Bluetooth adapters on my phone. Any ideas? Do I need to try another Bluetooth adapter/

Have used ABRP for nearly a week of commuting. Running on my iPhone 13 using Apple Car play to mirror the screen. Some of the direction pronunciation is amusing such as "the 2nd exit on the roundaboutable"

However, I'm sure I'm missing something or not read the manual properly but not able to get live data working from my Bluetooth OBD adapter Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBDII which will communicate with Car Scanner but not showing in my list of Bluetooth adapters on my phone. Any ideas? Do I need to try another Bluetooth adapter/

Don’t connect to phone through Bluetooth settings, connect through the ABRP app

1648148566036.png

I use the adapter Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 BLE (BLE is required) with my Gen1 ZS EV and it works great, it shows live data on the ABRP app.

Does this mean you managed to get ABRP to communicate with your OBD for your MG5 now?
Or is there another method you've managed to rangle?
My MG5LR is communicating, but initially shows the correct SOC and then drops to 31% and a silly number for battery temperature - think it occasionally shows the correct SOC again intermittantly.

I tried Car Scanner and the SOC looks correct and stable there - so think it's an ABRP implementation issue rather than my car or dongle.

MG5 profile might have been disabled as there are issues

Last edited:
I use the adapter Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 BLE (BLE is required) with my Gen1 ZS EV and it works great, it shows live data on the ABRP app.
Thanks for help. I now have it working fine. Final question using the Vgate adapter is can I leave it plugged in when the car is locked or charging without setting the alarm off? I was using an adapter (can't remember which one) that set the alarm off. Not good at 11:30pm

Thanks for help. I now have it working fine. Final question using the Vgate adapter is can I leave it plugged in when the car is locked or charging without setting the alarm off? I was using an adapter (can't remember which one) that set the alarm off. Not good at 11:30pm
No you can’t, I have to take the dongle out every time I left the car so the alarm wouldn't go off.

I'm curious about switched extensions - seen them for a few quid - so that it can be left in but disconnected. Now, if some smart individual starts to add a switch that only connects it when car turned on, it could be a solution

No you can’t, I have to take the dongle out every time I left the car so the alarm wouldn't go off.
That's perculiar while I couldn't leave it plugged in with TorquePro because of that, but since I've connected my ODBII with ABRP directly the alarm doesn't go off anymore in my eZS. And now I read it still does that with the MG 5. Stranger things...

That's perculiar while I couldn't leave it plugged in with TorquePro because of that, but since I've connected my ODBII with ABRP directly the alarm doesn't go off anymore in my eZS. And now I read it still does that with the MG 5. Stranger things...
Haven't try with ABRP app, but with other apps the alarm goes off if I leave the iCar Pro adapter plugged in and the apps running in the background.

Haven't try with ABRP app, but with other apps the alarm goes off if I leave the iCar Pro adapter plugged in and the apps running in the background.
Oh. Ah yeah, like I've said. I had it too with some other apps, not with ABPR. And I'm an Android, not an iPhone user. Maybe that's different too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom