Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So far I've been lucky at public chargers and I've never been soaked. I figure though that it's only a matter of time.

I don't fancy driving a long distance wearing full rainwear. On the other hand, you have to get out of the car to put on a jacket, and if the rain is heavy enough then you'll get soaked doing that. So I bought this.

It seems very robust and yet it rolls neatly into a small carry-case in the same material. I've got it in my door pocket. It has stud fasteners down each side which will prevent it from blowing up easily if they're fastened, but without them fastened (or simply with one side fastened) it's very easy to get into, could probably do it without getting out of the car.

Next time (first time) I have to charge in the rain I'll let you know how well it works.

Why are most EV chargers not under cover like most petrol pumps?

Planning permission issues I believe.

If it's windy I can see you doing a Mary Poppins tribute act as you sail over the rooftops. Do you know the words to "Let's Go Fly A Kite"? 🤣

The popper fasteners down the sides should prevent that.

Exactly. And the difficulty of manoeuvering the plug into the charging socket. It's a two-handed job. I now realise what the duck-tail on the SE is for. It's to lay your phone down while you're wrestling with the cable.

Also, what good is an umbrella if the rain is coming horizontally?

So far I've been lucky at public chargers and I've never been soaked. I figure though that it's only a matter of time.

I don't fancy driving a long distance wearing full rainwear. On the other hand, you have to get out of the car to put on a jacket, and if the rain is heavy enough then you'll get soaked doing that. So I bought this.

It seems very robust and yet it rolls neatly into a small carry-case in the same material. I've got it in my door pocket. It has stud fasteners down each side which will prevent it from blowing up easily if they're fastened, but without them fastened (or simply with one side fastened) it's very easy to get into, could probably do it without getting out of the car.

Next time (first time) I have to charge in the rain I'll let you know how well it works.
Oh, that's a good idea. I'll keep mine in the car now, I think, though mine's a middle-of-Lidl special rather than a swanky one.
Re windy conditions, yes, it doesn't work so well if it's windy, and I mean the wind we get here in the north west Highlands. But it's very convenient.

I carry and wear a waxed cotton oilskin full brimmed hat. While it won't keep your clothing dry it stops the rain going down your neck and keeps your hair dry.

Ah, but I'm with @Rolfe on this one - I don't anticipate having to get out and use public chargers too often, but I don't especially want to get any of me wet at all while I'm doing it. Plus we live in a comparatively windy area, so chasing a hat down the road is not my idea of fun times.

I keep an old 3 in 1 coat from when I was working in the back. It can double up to be a kneeling pad as well as a waterproof/warm coat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom