Just phoned my dealer 😩🤦🏻‍♂️

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have just telephoned my dealer; Drive MG Darlington, who have advised me they haven’t had any MG ZS EV’s in whatsoever in the last month/six weeks. They still have customers waiting for cars ordered in November 2021 😳😩

I was advised by the salesman that unless I actually needed something the size of the ZS, then to serious consider the MG4. He stated that these have a lead time on them of between 8 to 16 weeks, as opposed to the ZS, that, in his words “Nobody has a clue when these are going to turn up” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Going to have a test drive in the 4 on Saturday I think, then make a decision from there…

Bloody poor show really!

I have just telephoned my dealer; Drive MG Darlington, who have advised me they haven’t had any MG ZS EV’s in whatsoever in the last month/six weeks. They still have customers waiting for cars ordered in November 2021 😳😩

I was advised by the salesman that unless I actually needed something the size of the ZS, then to serious consider the MG4. He stated that these have a lead time on them of between 8 to 16 weeks, as opposed to the ZS, that, in his words “Nobody has a clue when these are going to turn up” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Going to have a test drive in the 4 on Saturday I think, then make a decision from there…

Bloody poor show really!
I wouldn't bet the house on the MG4 delivery estimates.

Bloody poor show really!
In Denmark they still have 9-12 months as the delivery time for any of the LR variants, but when i ordered, the delivery time was automatically set to 12 months on the contract, and i asked the guy at the brand store the other day if he maybe had a clue if we would get it before, he said on his computer he was not able to see anything regarding delivery dates, until it was actually ordered at the factory, which they do in batches when the existing orders they have are filled, apparantly they can order X amount every month.

If i want a SR, they have a delivery time of 4 weeks, and say they are "in stock"

I assume they have a hard time selling the SR, when the difference in price is minor, compared to the LR.

I also assume the reason they are pumping out SR's right now is because they have no LR battery packs from their supplier.

Extra frustrating for me, as i had a MG ZS EV LR, that was sadly totalled, so i was not even supposed to be in the market for anything right now, and now i have to drive around in a crappy small Corsa with a 1.0 engine, which is more or less the opposite of the MG ZS EV, which has lots of HP, and lots of room.

If we get closer to the August delivery date and they still can not say anything, i am either going to cancel the order or maybe transfer the order fee over to the third generation that is supposed to come in 2023....But probably also with delivery times...

In Denmark they still have 9-12 months as the delivery time for any of the LR variants, but when i ordered, the delivery time was automatically set to 12 months on the contract, and i asked the guy at the brand store the other day if he maybe had a clue if we would get it before, he said on his computer he was not able to see anything regarding delivery dates, until it was actually ordered at the factory, which they do in batches when the existing orders they have are filled, apparantly they can order X amount every month.

If i want a SR, they have a delivery time of 4 weeks, and say they are "in stock"

I assume they have a hard time selling the SR, when the difference in price is minor, compared to the LR.

I also assume the reason they are pumping out SR's right now is because they have no LR battery packs from their supplier.

Extra frustrating for me, as i had a MG ZS EV LR, that was sadly totalled, so i was not even supposed to be in the market for anything right now, and now i have to drive around in a crappy small Corsa with a 1.0 engine, which is more or less the opposite of the MG ZS EV, which has lots of HP, and lots of room.

If we get closer to the August delivery date and they still can not say anything, i am either going to cancel the order or maybe transfer the order fee over to the third generation that is supposed to come in 2023....But probably also with delivery times...
Interesting. SR and LRs have both experienced long lead times here in the UK. Currently on month 10 wait for my SR.

Interesting. SR and LRs have both experienced long lead times here in the UK. Currently on month 10 wait for my SR.
Yeah, i think they are having a hard time pushing the SR at all here, the price is pretty high because we also pay 25% VAT on top of the price of the car, and if people end up shelling out that kind of money, they are more likely to pay the extra £2300 for a LR, as percentage wise, that is not that much money.

But again, it must be down to them not getting enough LR batteries, because if the LR is much more in demand, why make so damn many SR, that they can have then in store.
When we ordered the now smashed up ZS EV, we were told there would be a 4 week waiting time from when the car arrived, this was because they needed to transport it, prep it and install the trailer hitch, so if they claim 4 weeks delivery time, this must mean that they are in the country, ready for sale.

Why they do not just ready them, so that they can be delivered "immideately" i dont understand, but it could be down to not having enough people to do it.

I am seriously worried that the August 2023 delivery date they have given me on the contract will just slip and slip, so currently i am weighing in my options.

To be honest, i am actually considering just buying a newer, but not new, petrol car, and sticking the rest of the money "in the bank" for a few years and hoping these stupidly insane delivery times, will be better.

I have to do something, and soon, we are a family of 5, and the Corsa can not accomodate 5 people, this was the reason we bought the ZS EV in the first place.

Only downside is, because of the delivery problems, used cars are also sold for stupid money right now.

Last option is to buy an old £1000 banger, drive it until we get the ZS EV, and the scrap it, crossing our fingers nothing major / expensive needs fixing on it.

It's just really frustration having to drive an old wreck, when we just invested in a brand new car and then some old geezer comes around and smashes it up because he can not control is 400+ HP muscle car.

Yeah, i think they are having a hard time pushing the SR at all here, the price is pretty high because we also pay 25% VAT on top of the price of the car, and if people end up shelling out that kind of money, they are more likely to pay the extra £2300 for a LR, as percentage wise, that is not that much money.

But again, it must be down to them not getting enough LR batteries, because if the LR is much more in demand, why make so damn many SR, that they can have then in store.
When we ordered the now smashed up ZS EV, we were told there would be a 4 week waiting time from when the car arrived, this was because they needed to transport it, prep it and install the trailer hitch, so if they claim 4 weeks delivery time, this must mean that they are in the country, ready for sale.

Why they do not just ready them, so that they can be delivered "immideately" i dont understand, but it could be down to not having enough people to do it.

I am seriously worried that the August 2023 delivery date they have given me on the contract will just slip and slip, so currently i am weighing in my options.

To be honest, i am actually considering just buying a newer, but not new, petrol car, and sticking the rest of the money "in the bank" for a few years and hoping these stupidly insane delivery times, will be better.

I have to do something, and soon, we are a family of 5, and the Corsa can not accomodate 5 people, this was the reason we bought the ZS EV in the first place.

Only downside is, because of the delivery problems, used cars are also sold for stupid money right now.

Last option is to buy an old £1000 banger, drive it until we get the ZS EV, and the scrap it, crossing our fingers nothing major / expensive needs fixing on it.

It's just really frustration having to drive an old wreck, when we just invested in a brand new car and then some old geezer comes around and smashes it up because he can not control is 400+ HP muscle car.
We bought a cheap car as a stop gap after I had to return my Ioniq 38kwh lease.

It's annoying going back to ICE, but the alternative was paying an expensive short term monthly lease.

We bought a cheap car as a stop gap after I had to return my Ioniq 38kwh lease.

It's annoying going back to ICE, but the alternative was paying an expensive short term monthly lease.

Yeah, we have (had) 2 cars, the Corsa was originally just a "city runabout" car because we did not want to fire up the diesel for shorter trips, but after we got the ZS EV, we did not use it that much.

Honestly, the main reason we had 2 cars, was for the wife to have a car that she could take to work, which is about 1½ mile from home.

I bought an electric kickscooter, to try and get her to take that instead of a car, and it works fine, she takes that or the bike, but then about once a month it's raining or something, and then she would want to take the car.

Most expensive mode of transportation, she could take a taxi to work multiple times a month, just on the money we save on petrol, insurance and road tax.

But we had been talking about getting something a bit newer than the Corsa (10 years old now) but had been wanting to wait a bit until the market cooled down a bit, or just drive the Corsa into the ground...It has only done about 52.000 miles, which says a bit about how little the car is actually used. When we bought it at 2½ years old, it had 25.000 miles, so we only added 27000 miles on it in 8 years.

We were discussing just getting something a tiny bit bigger and then sell the Corsa, when we hopefully get the ZS EV, as sort of a "rolling replacement" but again, if i tap in 2017 or newer middle sized car (Corsa size) and petrol, the absolutely cheapest offer is i a 2017 Dacia Sandeor 0,9 with 100.000 miles on the clock, and an asking price of £7000

Cheapest "Not French / Romainian" is a Hyundai I20, from 2016 (More than 6 years old) with 125.000 miles, for the sum of £8600

Great but this is the ZS forum
We decided many posts back that while this thread is in the ZS forum, and started out as ZS only, it's become a general delivery topic, so we're happy to see discussion of other MG EVs here. Some threads just get a life of their own.

Last edited:
just pointing out that MG don’t care about the ZS if 4/5’s are being shipped and not ZS
I think it's clear that for reasons beyond SAIC's control, parts for the ZS EV are harder to obtain than the parts for other models. Hence the far longer lead time for the ZS. They may have designed the MG4 with an eye on what parts can be obtained at present.

We decided many posts back that while this thread is in the ZS forum, and started out as ZS only, it's become a general delivery topic, so we're happy to see discussion of other MG EVs here.
Oops! I thought I was in the shipping updates thread. Well I think we can apply the same leniency to this thread.

Bloody poor show really!
I had exactly the same response from my dealership in Kent.

Plus a Hard Sell pushing the MG 4

ARRGH.png

I wouldn't bet the house on the MG4 delivery estimates.
I live near Avonmouth port and on our way to the footy today I spotted a whole (+ 100’s) of MG4s that had just been unloaded waiting clearance/collection. Notably standing out were quite a few of the lovely orange ones.

I had exactly the same response from my dealership in Kent.

Plus a Hard Sell pushing the MG 4

View attachment 11888
Yes, the hard sell was on for us too… The SE was available to us in 8 weeks & Trophy in 16 weeks, but at 7.9%APR. Plus they would’ve had two ZS’s there to sell at the current market vale, rather than the price we have locked in. This would give them another £5,000 each in profit… They’re not daft are they? 😂🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom