KERS / CRBS - What's the difference?

AnonymouseDriva

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all.
Browsing the manual whilst I'm waiting for my MG5 to arrive, I see that this car has both KERS (so 'Kinetic Energy Recovery System') that kicks in when you let off the accelerator and slows the car , recharging the battery a bit.
It also has CRBS (Co-operative Regenerative Braking System) that kicks in when you lightly brake and slows the car, recharging the battery a bit.

My question is - are these actually 2 separate and discrete systems, or is the braking force / charge generated in exactly the same way, just triggered through two different methods?

It might be that cruise control uses CRBS as it seldom slows the car fast enough to engage KERS?

It might be that cruise control uses CRBS as it seldom slows the car fast enough to engage KERS?
Yeah - or maybe the ACC is a third thing! if the only technical difference between KERS and CRBS is how you trigger it then which one is ACC actually using?!

I would assume that ACC is probably using KERS to slow, otherwise it would be engaging the pump to apply brake pressure (or , at least, that's what my rudimentary knowledge suggests).

Maybe that's it - the only difference might be that CRBS applies a motor to keep the break pads off whilst the regeneration does it's stuff (hence the comment in the manual about a motor noise and a vibration on the brake pedal)

It sounds as the KERS happens whenever you lift off accelerator (braking, over-run or coasting state) and that CRBS is combination of friction brakes and KERS, so during braking state it’s technically CRBS. Maybe 🤷‍♂️ It’s the “…at low speeds” section of the manual I don’t quite understand.

I hadn’t got around to reading this section yet 👍

The wording isn't particularly clear but I think it's saying regeneration during braking is fixed regardless of the KERS setting. Not sure about the vibration of the brake pedal though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom