KERS; how to or how not to use...

The car could be braking while ACC and MG Pilot are active. If the vehicle in front is very slow then the car will use the friction brake to slow the MG ZS EV, but ACC and/or MG Pilot will remain active.

If you have ACC or MG Pilot on and you come to a very steep downhill, the friction brake is used to maintain the set car speed, again keeping ACC and/or MG Pilot on.

It is annoying that regen doesn’t work when ACC or MG Pilot are on, but it’s not a showstopper for me.

The car could be braking while ACC and MG Pilot are active. If the vehicle in front is very slow then the car will use the friction brake to slow the MG ZS EV, but ACC and/or MG Pilot will remain active.

If you have ACC or MG Pilot on and you come to a very steep downhill, the friction brake is used to maintain the set car speed, again keeping ACC and/or MG Pilot on.
Didn't realise that. When you touch the brakes in Hyundai BEV's it disengages the ACC. :)

Didn't realise that. When you touch the brakes in Hyundai BEV's it disengages the ACC. :)
Yes, as soon as you touch the brake pedal ACC will be disabled.

However, if ACC is enabled and the ACC system uses the friction brake to slow the car (driver has not touched the pedal), then ACC remains on. The ACC system in the MG ZS EV does not use regen to slow the car, it always uses the friction brakes.

Yes, as soon as you touch the brake pedal ACC will be disabled.

However, if ACC is enabled and the ACC system uses the friction brake to slow the car (driver has not touched the pedal), then ACC remains on. The ACC system in the MG ZS EV does not use regen to slow the car, it always uses the friction brakes.
So I was right first time and so was the manual.

So I was right first time and so was the manual.
The manual says that regen is active when braking. As I said, braking, overrun and coasting can happen while ACC is active. In that case the regen will NOT be active, so the manual is wrong or poorly written.

It is not normal for regen to be off when in ACC. Every EV I have driven, this is the only one that does this.

Last edited:
The manual says that regen is active when braking. As I said, braking, overrun and coasting can happen while ACC is active. In that case the regen will NOT be active, so the manual is wrong or poorly written.

It is not normal for regen to be off when in ACC. Every EV I have driven, this is the only one that does this.
I read it as when "you" apply the brakes.

It says on page 206;

When activated if the adaptive cruise control system
detects a vehicle in the same lane directly ahead it may
accelerate or gently apply the brakes of the car to maintain the set following distance.

I wonder why MG chose not to use regen braking in ACC on the ZS?

I read it as when "you" apply the brakes.

It says on page 206;

When activated if the adaptive cruise control system
detects a vehicle in the same lane directly ahead it may
accelerate or gently apply the brakes of the car to maintain the set following distance.

I wonder why MG chose not to use regen braking in ACC on the ZS?
Well found. So it is in the manual :)

It’s even more puzzling that the LR MG5 does use regen when ACC is active.

I use ACC while descending hills occasionally to clean the rust off my brake discs.
ACC is not good on urban roads, too much braking and accelerating on undulations

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom