KERS...

Beatsisbass

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've had my ZS Exclusive for 2 weeks now and I'm a little disappointed in the KERS, isn't this function meant to put some more battery % in the car? I say this as my colleague has a BMW ev and has said she can sometimes drive 10 miles and due to the KERS function she can sometimes have more mileage once reached her destination than she started with... Am I misunderstanding KERS or is is just the fact BMW is a much better car than an MG?

You would have to regen at 32amps for 5 solid minutes to get roughly 1% of charge in a mg5.
That's a big hill your friend uses every day.

Or her battery capacity is somewhat smaller so the % per minute would be greater.
Still a big hill.

Chances are she misunderstood what the car was telling her.
It's certainly feasible to start a journey from the top of a hill and end up with more miles available when you get to the bottom but you haven't achieved anything magical because you had to expend energy getting to the top in the first place!

The BMW GOM must be an even bigger liar than the MG one. :LOL:
I have had the range on the GOM go up by 5 miles at the beginning of a longer journey in warm weather though.
On a recent long journey, whilst the range on the GOM did not go up, the total of the miles driven plus the range left increased by 7 miles.

1628133523703.png

I've had my ZS Exclusive for 2 weeks now and I'm a little disappointed in the KERS, isn't this function meant to put some more battery % in the car? I say this as my colleague has a BMW ev and has said she can sometimes drive 10 miles and due to the KERS function she can sometimes have more mileage once reached her destination than she started with... Am I misunderstanding KERS or is is just the fact BMW is a much better car than an MG?
You don't say which BMW your friend drives but sounds to me like she has either the range extender BMW i3 (with a small petrol engine that puts charge back into the battery while driving) or a plug-in hybrid BMW that can basically do the same thing.
Otherwise, as has been said, she must live at the top of a very steep hill and destination is 10 miles to the bottom.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom