Leaving car unused for over a week - no longer contactable.

Sure - computers are fine, But when a car manufacturer doesn’t do things right and allows a small battery to get critically low when it’s so close to a huge battery that could top it up, it’s worth keeping an eye on things. It certainly shouldn’t behave the way it is now.

If the car starts up, I’ll forgive the bad programming and learn to live with it.

If the car doesn’t start up I shall be extremely annoyed and stranded in the middle of the night when I reach the car. Then I’ll have to wait for the AA to come and rescue me…

That last scenario is exactly why I was keeping an eye on the levels.

So far I don’t fully trust any system on this car - with good reason.
If you don't trust any system on the car then why did you buy/lease it in the first place.

BTW I had exactly the same issue with my Ioniq. Left it for 10 days at the airport while on holiday. (I also had the same concerns with the extreme heat) Everything was fine for a few days then after about a week, zero comms. I was a bit concerned about it but once I got back to the car it was fine and I could connect again after unlocking it. I had about 10% battery drain also over the 10 days. My old BMW i3 on the other hand was never an issue and always communicated and never lost charge if left for an extended period of time. Maybe it is some sort of energy saving mode so it is not in constant comms with the servers or something....

If you don't trust any system on the car then why did you buy/lease it in the first place.
Whilst driving, I’ve had the infotainment crash on me. I’ve had all security systems switch off whilst driving. Music sometimes starts by itself and sometimes stops by itself. The 12v battery seems to have dipped too low for the car to respond. I’ve read of door close sensors confusing the roof open/close status…

These are not reassuring things.

I trust the car to drive it (and do love it) but I wouldn’t - at this early stage of ownership - fully trust anything on it.

The car is very well built and very polished in many areas - but I feel the software needs a few more tweaks. As a software developer, I accepted these possible gremlins in a cheaper car.

I don’t frequent other car forums, so I don’t know if all electric cars have these issues or not. My 2017 Nissan Leaf certainly didn’t.

Last edited:
Car started up fine. 12v battery was up to 13.8 when I picked it up.

So my conclusion is that the car hibernates after 7 days.

This makes the “find my car” feature a bit pointless as without connecting to the car, it forgets where the car was…

Still - happy the 12v was healthy and the main battery remained at 67% just as I left it - 11 days prior.

I now can trust the BMS. :)

I had the original iPace when it came out. The software was abysmal. Screen crashes, SatNav not working, charging the car was a joke with lots of bricking happening, radio not working, sound system remaining silent. These were just some of the issues. £75,000 car and a complete failure in my case. Jaguar eventually took it back.

My ZS EV has been brilliant when comparing it to my experience of the iPace.

I had the original iPace when it came out. The software was abysmal. Screen crashes, SatNav not working, charging the car was a joke with lots of bricking happening, radio not working, sound system remaining silent. These were just some of the issues. £75,000 car and a complete failure in my case. Jaguar eventually took it back.

That is shocking! The ZS EV mk2 is a million miles from that. It has quirks, but is always drivable. I had a bunch of updates run on the car just before I went on holiday - they may have fixed a number of issues I’ve had before.

Having the car start up happily has certainly helped me trust it more. It is a pain to lose connection after 7 days - but I can work around that. It’s not as if I’m holidaying that often :)

That is shocking! The ZS EV mk2 is a million miles from that. It has quirks, but is always drivable. I had a bunch of updates run on the car just before I went on holiday - they may have fixed a number of issues I’ve had before.

Having the car start up happily has certainly helped me trust it more. It is a pain to lose connection after 7 days - but I can work around that. It’s not as if I’m holidaying that often :)

Just a mention, the iPace goes to “deep-sleep” after a few days as well.

I can confirm that the car hibernates after 1 week. I have lost contact after 7 days and the car started earlier today which is like 14 days since I left the car. It started fine without issues and I can connect to the car via the app again.
I wish MG and other manufacturers would allow a 'holiday' mode or something like that. Surely when you leave the car for a long period you want to check on it from time to time. Especially when you are returning and want to set the climate control to something confortable before you get back to the car, be it summer or winter.

I wish MG and other manufacturers would allow a 'holiday' mode or something like that. Surely when you leave the car for a long period you want to check on it from time to time. Especially when you are returning and want to set the climate control to something confortable before you get back to the car, be it summer or winter.
I have never wanted or felt the need to check on my car when I left it to go on holiday.
but there again I never had an app. I suppose once you get one of those it becomes as addictive as not being able to resist checking social media every few minutes.

My main concern was the fact I left it facing south rather than north (I have tinted rear windows) and with the heat I was worried it might get too hot inside - and also worried that the 12v battery may not top up by itself - both resolvable with a bit of air con.

I didn’t want to come home to a cracked sunroof/window or worse, a car that wouldn’t start.

Normally I also never cared about my car at the airport. With my Nissan leaf - I just checked the battery at the beginning and the end of the holiday to see if it had dropped (it actually went up by 1%!).

But with the MG being new, and some people having issues with the 12v battery - I was extra cautious.

On my next holiday, I probably won’t check at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom