Leaving MG ZS ev LR at an Airport

KT23

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I hope the following is of use to owners around the 'flat 12v battery' issues. I have no answers ... but the following experiences might be helpful?

I took the following photos as I left and returned to my MG ZS ev LR Trophy at Manchester Airport. The car had been left for approximately 3.5 weeks and as you can see I gained an additional 12v battery voltage and a mile of range while I was away!!! I understand the weather had been reasonable over this period with some rain but no very cold temperatures.
KT Airport.jpg

I was nervous leaving the car as about a week earlier I had experienced a flat 12v battery as follows. On Sept 7th Thursday evening I went out to start the car and could not open the door with either the door push button or the key fob remote. I used the 'hidden key' in the remote to manually open the door. No power showing on anything and the start button would not work.
I opened the bonnet and put a Maypole battery bank onto the battery terminals. I have it for other purposes, but it includes a 'jump start' facility. The alarm immediately sounded for the door open and everything started working fine. Nothing was left on in the car for the 3 days that she had been standing in the garage and she was at 80% charge. The previous journey on the Monday was short runabouts in town. The 12v battery was showing 14.2 volts when I looked after getting her started.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this??

I’m wondering about taking my car to the airport as I’ve heard so many stories about leaving them standing.

Following up on my original posting, I think I might be misleading people about the 12v battery voltage. As I now understand it, the reading I am showing in my pictures are AFTER the car has been started, so this is showing the 12v battery on charge from the main drive battery. I think you can see the 12v battery state by starting the car WITHOUT pushing on the brake pedal and this will allow you to see the actual 12v battery state, prior to it 'connecting' to the main battery.

Hope this makes sense.

I think I'm going to carry my lithium battery pack in the car for a while, as I happen to have one, until the situation becomes clearer.

We have left our ZS LR at Stansted a couple of times. Been standing there for under a week max. I have been able to check the status of the car from the app while being abroad.

Come back and car is perfect 🥰 and then drive back home

Our car has been parked up for almost two weeks now with the traction battery at a SOC of 80%.
I am unable to drop in to the App as I am about 3500 miles away !.
It will be interesting to see what happens when we return home in a few days time.
Oh - I did charge the 12 volt battery the day before I left.
While away, I was very surprised to come across this MG parked in the hotel car park.
Odd spec ?.
It has the ZS EV Gen2 head lights, but a front grill that looks a bit like the Gen1 ????.
Any thoughts 💭.
IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg

Ah. That could be one of those petroleum based models from the 1900s! I see "ZS" but no "EV".
I do have a feeling it is a ICE version myself.
Different fashion / mix & match
But is difficult to tell what us what in the USA because they do not identify their EV models over here ?.
I have seen many many Teslas of course and a few Polestars etc.
But there no obvious means of picking out / identifying the electric powered cars here !.
Maybe that is purely intensional ???.

Last edited by a moderator:
We left our ZS SR at the airport for a little over 2 weeks, and I was apprehensive about battery discharge beforehand and made sure I had a charged jump pack in the car, just in case.
About 5 days into the trip, the app would no longer connect to the car, which I assume means the car went into "deep sleep".
But coming back, the car unlocked and started with no problems at all. I was tired and did not remember to check the 12V battery voltage before starting it up.

Ah. That could be one of those petroleum based models from the 1900s! I see "ZS" but no "EV".
Yes, that definitely looks like a ICE ZS. I've seen a few of those driving around these parts.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom