LED Rear Sidelight Bulbs Blow after installing

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone successfully installed these T10 LED RED Sidelight bulbs from Classic Car Led's?

Link: 12 Volt Collection

After installation, I was checking the rear lights and turned them on/off and tested the LED Reversing lights and then the RED LED side light bulbs W5W T10 went off.

Changed the bulbs for another pair and the same happened.

I did a "Voltage Hold Test" using my meter on the loom at the bulb holder again following the same procedure turning on/off etc. to check for any voltage surges, but everything was steady but at 14.10 volts, which is slightly high compared with the normal 13.78 volts coming off an alternator on an ICE vehicle.

After speaking with Duncan at Classic Car LED's today, he told me these bulbs only had a range up to 14 volts, so very borderline for the ZS EV.

I know these bulbs have been recommended several times on here, but I only got the chance to install them this last weekend and found they failed miserably.

Yet the same bulb in WHITE installed in the numberplate and also in the internal passenger fitments all work fine.

I have now ordered some other brand which has a range from 9 - 28 volts so will see how they perform, just hope they offer a good lux level.

Andy (Blackpool)

All I can say is the ones I bought off eBay work fine and have no failures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125-171658.png
    Screenshot_20210125-171658.png
    714 KB · Views: 178
Has anyone successfully installed these T10 LED RED Sidelight bulbs from Classic Car Led's?

Link: 12 Volt Collection

After installation, I was checking the rear lights and turned them on/off and tested the LED Reversing lights and then the RED LED side light bulbs W5W T10 went off.

Changed the bulbs for another pair and the same happened.

I did a "Voltage Hold Test" using my meter on the loom at the bulb holder again following the same procedure turning on/off etc. to check for any voltage surges, but everything was steady but at 14.10 volts, which is slightly high compared with the normal 13.78 volts coming off an alternator on an ICE vehicle.

After speaking with Duncan at Classic Car LED's today, he told me these bulbs only had a range up to 14 volts, so very borderline for the ZS EV.

I know these bulbs have been recommended several times on here, but I only got the chance to install them this last weekend and found they failed miserably.

Yet the same bulb in WHITE installed in the numberplate and also in the internal passenger fitments all work fine.

I have now ordered some other brand which has a range from 9 - 28 volts so will see how they perform, just hope they offer a good lux level.

Andy (Blackpool)
Sounds like a bit of bull from the seller to me, most ICE car alternators run at 13.5 to 14.5v so those bulb are not fit for purpose if he's selling them for cars.
Edit: and if he's selling them for Classic cars Dynamos can put out up to 16v.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom