Liquid under car when parked

rjb70stoke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have noticed some liquid under the car after driving for a relatively short distance. I expect that it is from the HVAC system, but I rarely use this, preferring instead to have the sunroof and windows open, except while on motorways.

Anything to worry about or just the normal air con discharge?

If the liquid is just plain water it is almost certainly condensate from the evaporator (assuming that air conditioning has been in use).

Even if the A/C hasn't been used could the battery cooling have caused the condensation ?

Was it hot enough to cause it to kick in ?

I would have though that the HV battery cooling system would have been a sealed system ????.
If the water was clean looking and the A/C had been running, while the car was parked in the same location, I am punting for it to be A/C condensation then.

Does the ZS aircon do any drying of the air? This may be part of the explanation for misting up issues some have had. Is there a desiccant bag to change?

Every air conditioning dries out air. It's just how they work.
(Industrial plumber talking here)

I would have though that the HV battery cooling system would have been a sealed system ????.
If the water was clean looking and the A/C had been running, while the car was parked in the same location, I am punting for it to be A/C condensation then.
Does the HV cooling system use AC or is it sufficient to just use the coolant, a radiator and coolant pump ?
If the HV cooling system uses AC to cool then the radiator and condenser for the HV cooling system, I think it would be the same one used for the car's AC.

Does the HV cooling system use AC or is it sufficient to just use the coolant, a radiator and coolant pump ?
If the HV cooling system uses AC to cool then the radiator and condenser for the HV cooling system, I think it would be the same one used for the car's AC.
I don't own the car.....but I would say....if the battery gets hot, and you transfer that warmth via liquid to a radiator and that radiator becomes warmer than the outside temperature it's prone to begin condensing,.....so it could be that the condensation is coming from the radiator that cools the battery......although I don't know if a radiator is used to cool the battery....

Your logic is a little off :)
A body has to be colder than the dew point of the surrounding air to cause condensation.
That's why you might see it on an evaporator but not a condenser.
I don't know exactly how battery cooling works on the MG but if it uses chilled water (unlikely in my mind but I'm not sure) there must be a heat exchanger that does the chilling. That heat exchanger (if it exists) is likely to produce condensate.

Thats what I mean.....the heat exchanger.... I'm Dutch , I try to use my best English I can , but I don't try to use as much as technical terms as possible.... I like to keep it simple....🤭

Is the drying of the air not a by-product of cooling it? On the MG there is no conditioning of the air when heat is used so it doesn’t apply. I’m no expert by a far stretch, but I don’t think there is any real air conditioning going on in the MG - just air cooling during hotter days which produces water as a by-product.

The normal way of airconditioning is circulating the internal air and cooling it down.(produces condensation)

Air cooling is getting fresh air into a car and before it enters the car it gets cooled down ....(don't know if it produces condensation)

I think no car on the market is dooing that.... I could be wrong

Thats what I mean.....the heat exchanger.... I'm Dutch , I try to use my best English I can , but I don't try to use as much as technical terms as possible.... I like to keep it simple....🤭
Your English is much better than my Dutch ;)
I'm a professional engineer so I do prefer precision over simplicity because it leaves less room for incorrect interpretation.
I would love to get my hands on some detailed technical documentation for this car.

Again - I’m no expert! But doesn’t ‘air conditioning’ do more than just keeping the air at a certain temperature? So, for example - other cars I’ve had will ‘condition’ hot air and take away moisture to help demist the car.

Again - I’m no expert! But doesn’t ‘air conditioning’ do more than just keeping the air at a certain temperature? So, for example - other cars I’ve had will ‘condition’ hot air and take away moisture to help demist the car.
As far as I know , hot air absorbs more moisture than cold air does , so I think just blowing hot air on a misted surface will demist it anyway..... I think that "conditioned" hot air you are talking about is nothing more than just.. hot air. Again I could be wrong.

Reading up on EV batteries, they need to be kept at a narrow temperature range. This means that, in various circumstances, they need to be both heated and cooled. This implies that air conditioning will be involved to cool the coolant, and this will certainly involve some condensate. This could well be what is seen under the vehicle.

Reading up on EV batteries, they need to be kept at a narrow temperature range. This means that, in various circumstances, they need to be both heated and cooled. This implies that air conditioning will be involved to cool the coolant, and this will certainly involve some condensate. This could well be what is seen under the vehicle.
Internal Combustion Engines need cooling but don't use air conditioning to do it, just water and a radiator.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom