Little accident happened

apzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hey all,

So last week Saturday I had a small accident. Was sitting in a one way two lane traffic jam. A van driver behind me seemed to be in a hurry and tried to squeeze in between my car and a parked car on my right and scratched the back bumper and quarter panel.

I don't think this should be worth going with the insurance. Anyone else had such a scratch and how do I get it repaired? It's my first time this has happened so I am a bit new to it. I don't know what it should cost. I got a quote from chipaway and they said its about £280. Is that correct?

I'm attaching two pictures one on the day of the accident and the second is from yesterday. Paint seems to have healed or something. 🤔

Second picture shows a few black spots but it's hard to see until you zoom in or come close to the car.

I live in South London so would love if I could get some recommendations for companies that could fix this for me.

Attachments

• 20230603_140401.jpg
    20230603_140401.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20230605_150001.jpg
    20230605_150001.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 135
If you got the van drivers details then I would go through insurance. As you were stationary at the time you cannot be at fault. Dashcam is always a good idea in situations like this. Similar thing happened to me a few years back and the dashcam proved I was stationary so the other guys insurance had to pay up. :)

Shame it’s just caught the rear quarter.
Is that just white paint transfer from the van, or has the scratch broken through the paint ?.
A lot of that white paint transfer can be easily removed with a machine polisher.
The quarter is the issue here if the paint is broken due to the possible on set of rust developing.
The bumper cover is plastic of course.
If the quarter needs paint, then you need somebody who can do a really good smart repair.
Dynamic red is a three stage paint process and can be tricky to match and blow in ( loose successfully ) into the factory finish.
It will look 👀 better after the paint transfer is removed.
You maybe very lucky and it MAY polish out on the quarter🤞.

Hey all,

So last week Saturday I had a small accident. Was sitting in a one way two lane traffic jam. A van driver behind me seemed to be in a hurry and tried to squeeze in between my car and a parked car on my right and scratched the back bumper and quarter panel.

I don't think this should be worth going with the insurance. Anyone else had such a scratch and how do I get it repaired? It's my first time this has happened so I am a bit new to it. I don't know what it should cost. I got a quote from chipaway and they said its about £280. Is that correct?

I'm attaching two pictures one on the day of the accident and the second is from yesterday. Paint seems to have healed or something. 🤔

Second picture shows a few black spots but it's hard to see until you zoom in or come close to the car.

I live in South London so would love if I could get some recommendations for companies that could fix this for me.
I would just go through chipaway, although do check on checkatrade or similar for other options in your area, there are some brilliant ones out there with high recommendations that will do a great job.
Although not your fault, I believe that any claims (even against another driver, whose insurance pays in full) can increase your future premiums?

I do have dashcam footage but it's only pointing to the front and does show that I am within my lane and stopped. I did purchase new dashcam and have fitted it which now shows front and back. As mentioned by @Robf I am worried about my premium going up even though it wasn't my fault (hopefully insurance company can come to a conclusion that it was indeed the other drivers fault and reimburse for any increases) and since the quote from Chipsaway is lower than my excess, insurance won't cover it but they did say they could help me recoup the cost from the other insurance.

The white bit seems to have come off so I am guessing it was paint transfer from the van and after a while it just peeled off.

The tri-coat is what I am worried about. Who do I trust that will actually do a good job with it. Haven't looked at checkatrade, will have a look at it now.

I am worried about my premium going up even though it wasn't my fault (hopefully insurance company can come to a conclusion that it was indeed the other drivers fault and reimburse for any increases)
Be careful, our friends car was parked up and a neighbour hit it reversing from their drive. All sorted and other driver insurance paid up. Come renewal day, friends insurance increased as 'because you have had 1 accident you are more likely to have another one'

Be careful, our friends car was parked up and a neighbour hit it reversing from their drive. All sorted and other driver insurance paid up. Come renewal day, friends insurance increased as 'because you have had 1 accident you are more likely to have another one'
It increased even though it was proved that it wasn't his fault?

That's what I am really worried about. I would hate it if my premium stays at what it is now. I was told by my insurance company that they might charge me more until it's resolved but will look to reimburse me if the other driver is found to be at fault. I am really hoping they keep to their word

My renewal is at the end of this month 😣 so extremely annoyed it happened now

For something that minor it's better keeping away from insurance for the reasons outlined above. You will be seen as a greater risk post claim. It's just a matter of statistics.
There is however another issue. You will find a clause in your terms and conditions that states you must report involvement in any accident regardless of blame or whether subsequent claim is intended. If you fail to do this you will have broken your side of the contract so if that is your intended course, the last thing you should do is publish details of your accident in a public forum.

For something that minor it's better keeping away from insurance for the reasons outlined above. You will be seen as a greater risk post claim. It's just a matter of statistics.
There is however another issue. You will find a clause in your terms and conditions that states you must report involvement in any accident regardless of blame or whether subsequent claim is intended. If you fail to do this you will have broken your side of the contract so if that is your intended course, the last thing you should do is publish details of your accident in a public forum.
So I have already informed them but its still as an informational point and will not impact my premium. Only time they said it could impact is if I make the claim. Main reason for posting here was to get an idea about who I could trust to carry out this repair, what I need to be mindful on when the repair happens and what costs should I be expecting if others have had such things in the past.

I would t-cut and polish the paint, it looks like it's only touched the clearcoat, then put some back to black or similar on the plastic wheel arch. If it looks presentable then job done, if not then Chips away.

Hey all,

Could be worse! Got a dent in front wing above wheel arch in car park hit and run. Doesnt look much does it, but local body shop quoted £2200 to repair citing 4 layer paint expense and labour for complicated filling/painting/blending and high cost of paint! Definitely one for insurance!

Attachments

• IMG_20230608_202718.jpg
    IMG_20230608_202718.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 102
I had very similar damage fixed (same paint) and it came to £414.

Could be worse! Got a dent in front wing above wheel arch in car park hit and run. Doesnt look much does it, but local body shop quoted £2200 to repair citing 4 layer paint expense and labour for complicated filling/painting/blending and high cost of paint! Definitely one for insurance!
Is the paint broken ?.
If not, get a good PDR man will sort that out at a fraction of that cost.

Have you considered trying to locate a new wing already finished in factory colour ?.
Bolt off - bolt on ?.
Cheaper option than £2,200 I would think.
Good idea but cant think its possible. Too new, too rare model and color. Perhaps if it was a Focus or Astra.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom