Local knowledge.

Orcadian

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We are picking up our MG ZS EV from Falkirk tomorrow and will be driving North to home. I have read some reports/rumours of charging problems with CCS and the MG. Are there any known issues between Falkirk up the A9 to John o groats?

@Orcadian
Yep, I've travelled that way often. For Rapid Charges, here's what I've experienced.

Good (South to North) - Kinross P&R ; Pitlochry ; Perth, Mill Street, although the Rapid charge is only 22Kw ; Tomatin (Community Centre - very good). Inverness Caley Stadium but they sometimes chain off the car park!! Dornoch - brilliant. Thurso, Park Hotel.

Sometimes good/sometimes bad - Kingussie. It's spat me out bui also worked well.

Downright bad. - Broxden P&R ; Aviemore Police Station Car park ; Helmsdale - almost had me in tears!!!

- and if you were tempted to head to Dalwhinnie, it exists but it's never been in service!!!!

Sadly , you'll probably need the A/C on for warmth and clearing the windscreen, and wipers for the rain (if it's anything like today) so your consumption may well be a bit higher than the GOM displays. I'm safely getting 145/150 miles in adverse weather.

Safe journey, and let me know how you enjoy it!

I'm not sure if this is a known fgault but sometimes when I get to a Rapid charger with say 25% battery left, in the car recognition process, some of the older charger un its display that you have about 95%+ and won't give you a charge. Try unplugging and reconnecting (sometimes up to 5 times) and usually it corrects itself and then permits you a charge.

Happy to offer any other gems of my driving wisdom!!

@Orcadian
Yep, I've travelled that way often. For Rapid Charges, here's what I've experienced.

Good (South to North) - Kinross P&R ; Pitlochry ; Perth, Mill Street, although the Rapid charge is only 22Kw ; Tomatin (Community Centre - very good). Inverness Caley Stadium but they sometimes chain off the car park!! Dornoch - brilliant. Thurso, Park Hotel.

Sometimes good/sometimes bad - Kingussie. It's spat me out bui also worked well.

Downright bad. - Broxden P&R ; Aviemore Police Station Car park ; Helmsdale - almost had me in tears!!!

- and if you were tempted to head to Dalwhinnie, it exists but it's never been in service!!!!

Sadly , you'll probably need the A/C on for warmth and clearing the windscreen, and wipers for the rain (if it's anything like today) so your consumption may well be a bit higher than the GOM displays. I'm safely getting 145/150 miles in adverse weather.

Safe journey, and let me know how you enjoy it!

I'm not sure if this is a known fgault but sometimes when I get to a Rapid charger with say 25% battery left, in the car recognition process, some of the older charger un its display that you have about 95%+ and won't give you a charge. Try unplugging and reconnecting (sometimes up to 5 times) and usually it corrects itself and then permits you a charge.

Happy to offer any other gems of my driving wisdom!!
Thanks Dave
I planned Pitlochry, Aviemore, Dornoch

@Orcadian
No problem but may I suggest you switch Aviemore to Tomatin. It's a brand new unit and works a treat, in my experience!!
Thanks again, I will check that out. As you may have gathered I don't travel much outside of Orkney. Inverness is as far as I've been before. Every time I plan a trip South something seems to come up and spoil my plans.

@Orcadian

I'm hoping to head up to Orkney as soon as Nicola says we can go again!

I've done a wee bit of work on North Ronaldsay, and love it up there.

Dave
Thanks Dave
I have your phone number just in case. I'm hoping we will be OK. We have had an EV for four years now (Leaf) So not exactly new to EVs but going into unknown territory. I get on fine with all electric but there are so many different chargers. I will be using my CPS card, I don't like using Apps because it's a fiddle having to change glasses etc. Thanks for your help anyway, it is greatly appreciated. Who knows we may even meet up some time in Orkney.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom