• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Long Distance journey

DavJoy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I apologise if this is a question already dealt with but I cannot find a specific reply to my perceived problem. I am concerned about a journey we are about to undertake. We will shortly be travelling to France and the journey will involve about 250 miles in UK followed by 350 miles in France. I will be stopping for petrol but had not planned on stopping for recharging. My question is this - will I create problems for the battery, when it becomes depleted, by not charging until we arrive at our final destination? Again, I apologise if this has been already dealt with.
The car is new - delivered in March 2022 if this helps!

Hi
The car will put in some small amount of charge back into the HV battery which in turn will charge the 12v battery. If you stop for a meal at the services I would personally try to charge the car. If you watch the pod cast for 2 nd May which has a bit about charging in France. Make sure any adapter you are taking to convert from two pin to uk 13amp plug has a rating of 3kw at least or you could have a dangerous system.

Thank you very much for that. I had not considered the rating of the adaptor. That is a very good point to know. I will try to charge at a French "Aire" if possible but am concerned that a charger may not be available - breakages, thoughtless drivers parking in awkward spaces or simply all chargers in use

Charging in France seems to be better than here but is charged by the minute not the KWH but watch the pod cast it’s helpful. You may need to make a adapter up or as at at electrons for advic.

Last edited:
The system will automatically retain some charge in the battery, and even if it runs down to zero, it's not an issue, other than having to recharge it. (I've found that when using the granny charger, the less joins in the feed the better so try to avoid extension cables and use a socket that's as close to the distribution board as possible).
Having experimented I leave the recharge settings on default - the car will use EV if you get into slow moving traffic but otherwise will use petrol. You'll find the trip MPG will be around 37, but if you do a lot of local EV motoring the long term MPG will be around 65.

The system will automatically retain some charge in the battery, and even if it runs down to zero, it's not an issue, other than having to recharge it. (I've found that when using the granny charger, the less joins in the feed the better so try to avoid extension cables and use a socket that's as close to the distribution board as possible).
Having experimented I leave the recharge settings on default - the car will use EV if you get into slow moving traffic but otherwise will use petrol. You'll find the trip MPG will be around 37, but if you do a lot of local EV motoring the long term MPG will be around 65.
That’s brilliant information. Thank you very much. I’ve received really good replies to my query. They’ve all calmed my concerns. Thank you

As some of the answers above, even when the EV gauge says 0% and zero miles there are still some kWh in the HV battery. It won’t allow you to switch to full EV but the electric can still assist in hybrid. By that time you are basically driving a self charging hybrid.

On a similar topic, if I am in France, can I still use the granny charger using an adaptor on the plug or will the voltage not work. We are staying on a EuroCamp site. Also do the 'Aire' charging points use type 2 leads? Any help gratefully received for July!!!

Have a look on the back it will give you the input voltage, most chargers work on 110 to 240 voltage, at the 110 it will take longer.

Sorry bottom right turns the window on and off so no one car can open the window, as to the door mirrors you may have switched them off in setting on the screen. Bottom left open and close the door mirrors from inside the carwhen running.

Attachments

• AB9FD58D-D1DB-4B96-8287-6B910C9A9207.png
    AB9FD58D-D1DB-4B96-8287-6B910C9A9207.png
    919.4 KB · Views: 91
  • B0D73D17-9CE1-42B1-B383-B98C05123156.jpeg
    B0D73D17-9CE1-42B1-B383-B98C05123156.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 103
Sorry wrong answer to your post, look on the back of the granny charger it should have the power input and out put informatio.

Sorry wrong answer to your post, look on the back of the granny charger it should have the power input and out put informatio.
Okay thanks. I've found this online. Anyone think it looks okay?

Attachments

• F6E46514-6C84-4A14-BB11-AFE34174EB0F.png
    F6E46514-6C84-4A14-BB11-AFE34174EB0F.png
    767.1 KB · Views: 96
I did not know the mains voltage in France which is 230v and the granny charge if fine over there it will only work on a 230v input.

Just found this you may need to check there sockets at the place you are staying at.

France travel adaptors​

You will need to consider what to pack, to ensure you can use your personal electrical appliances safely whilst abroad. This normally includes the use of a travel adaptor, which is a device that simply allows you to plug any UK electrical appliance into a foreign electrical socket. It is important to note that it does not convert the voltage or frequency.

For France there are two associated plug types, types C and E. Plug type C is the plug which has two round pins and plug type E is the plug which has two round pins and a hole for the socket’s male earthing pin. France operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If at 70 mph the car will add a few amps and eventually over 200+ miles you will see 10% or more in charge added

On a similar topic, if I am in France, can I still use the granny charger using an adaptor on the plug or will the voltage not work. We are staying on a EuroCamp site. Also do the 'Aire' charging points use type 2 leads? Any help gratefully received for July!!!
Charger draws 10amps - so check what the site provides. Full French power is 16amps, but sites often provide less. Have a look at this site - free to register and tells you what connectors are available at the charger locations. Charging station map for electric cars | Chargemap

Get a good quality adapterfor the granny charger, ideally rated at 16amps. There's a warning on the charger about not using extension leads - I've used one (rated at 16 amp) without issue in France.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom