Long distance trips

Thanks frank! Looks like that will be my natural stopping point. On an MG5 roughly how long will it take on a CCS to get back to 100 do you know? I have a type 2 charger installed at home and I have never used the rapid ones!
Charging speed varies massively based on the level of charge you’re starting at, temperature of battery, the actual unit too.

Going from 10% to 80% is quoted around 60 minutes on a 50kWh unit - generally I try to stick 20% minimum just in case the location is busy and I need to go to option B or C.

Also found charge speed drops off after 83% so only tend to charge higher if next location is a worry - although you could stop at Booths Penrith for a quick 30% top up if available and worries about Scotch Corner. Sometimes depends on who needs a comfort or snack break.

Charging speed varies massively based on the level of charge you’re starting at, temperature of battery, the actual unit too.

Going from 10% to 80% is quoted around 60 minutes on a 50kWh unit - generally I try to stick 20% minimum just in case the location is busy and I need to go to option B or C.

Also found charge speed drops off after 83% so only tend to charge higher if next location is a worry - although you could stop at Booths Penrith for a quick 30% top up if available and worries about Scotch Corner. Sometimes depends on who needs a comfort or snack break.
We have a 3 month old and a dog so regular stops aren’t a big deal at all! I am tempted to do 3 short stops rather than 2 long ones to be honest!

Thanks frank! Looks like that will be my natural stopping point. On an MG5 roughly how long will it take on a CCS to get back to 100 do you know? I have a type 2 charger installed at home and I have never used the rapid ones!
Might be worth having a practice on one locally just to become familiar with the them and make sure everything works OK.

Screenshot_20220123-190157.jpg
these are in Stranraer so very close to the ferry. I would use all apps you won't have to go 90 miles from the ferry that's for sure.

Drove Birmingham to Cardiff on Boxing Day. Around 120 miles but 99% motorway, night, rain and cold. Didn't start with a full charge either - can't remember the % but less than 75%.

From what I've found the electrocity chargers at the service stations are quick and cheaper than some of the local public chargers. However on this trip the first charger wasn't working (circuit breaker fault) - there were around 10 completely unused Tesla chargers there too (😢). Next service station - no chargers at all (this was a surprise). With less than 10% battery left arrived at the next services. Looked great but failed at the step to actually start the charge, also couldn't release the cable. This was almost 1am. Called the number and actually got through to someone. She went through a lot of things including restarting the charger - nothing worked. Luckily there was another machine there - that one worked fine.

From what I've seen the service station charger network is good but always have a 2nd option just in case.
I’ve heard there’s an emergency release inside the bonnet. This can be useful if the cable refuses to detach.

We done a trip from St Albans to Belmullet in Co Mayo on the West cost of RoI via Holyhead in the MG5 standard range at Christmas 450 road miles.
Zap Map is useful and used Instavolt and Gridserve which are tap and charge no faffing around with apps.
50kW chargers are great but 100kW allowed us to change at 80kW before dropping off. Avoid Ecotricity they are hit and miss and support seems the same and app is required.

If you take the Dublin to Holyhead route Irish Ferries has 7kw on board chargers on the slow boat (remember to bring your cable and reserve when booking) which give 40-50miles. Also there are two ESB ecars chargers outside Dublin port (app/account) and 2 Gridserve (tap and charge) chargers outside Holyhead pory. You will need to go in to the train station enterence.

Happy travels

You should plan to go to 80% only on a rapid charger, anything after that the charging rates will slow and you'll be waiting forever. Also try not to go over 90% as a few people have found that charging stops and occasionally the car doesn't want to get going again for 10 mins.

If you set up Zap Map with your vehicle details and then when using route planner set your charge details as follows:

View attachment 6522

With it being winter I'd even say change the real EV range to 180 to be sure 👍🏻
150 real winter range for me, you have to try really hard to get over 3m/kWh in winter especially at motorway speeds. CPS is a pretty good network but you’re not in Scotland long. Make it Gretna from Stranraer and there’s plenty of charge points that are contactless.
South into England I use the BP pulse network, they’re reliable to use and sensibly located. You can flash them up using the app or contactless. Try the 3 month free trial and they send you a RFID card and get the cheaper members rate. Which ever network you choose use the app to check in advance availability- ZapMap is good but availability info of chargers isn’t always up to date. Great for planning your route though.
Enjoy its quite good fun - sometimes challenging!!!!

Subscription is 12p per kw cheaper than guest charge, price is 28-50p pkw for guests. Some chargers are free for members so if you using them it's a good deal. Your subscription is equal to 33hours at the cheapest rate so if you one there for more than 33 hours it's worth the subscription. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, thanks. I don't really have the need to charge away from home often enough to pay the sub but I am going to keep the 3 months free for an extended driving trip in the UK later this year!!

I'm also going to scout round my usual haunts to see if I have any free ones nearby but tbh my home charging is cheap enough, even once my Octopus Go rate goes up to 7.5p later in the year (although when the price cap is moved in April that may no longer be the figure)

Subscription is 12p per kw cheaper than guest charge, price is 28-50p pkw for guests. Some chargers are free for members so if you using them it's a good deal. Your subscription is equal to 33hours at the cheapest rate so if you one there for more than 33 hours it's worth the subscription. Hope that makes sense.
Agreed the 12p difference is on the 150kW chargers which no MG can gain the benefit of though. The difference on the 50kW is only 8p per kWh. 32p - 40p.
You can also join for free without a subscription and the rates for that is 38p / kWh on the 50kW chargers so only 6p difference.
WHY do they insist on making it so complicated. ? I took the free 3 months trial last summer while I was on holiday and ditched it straight away after.

What's the furthest anyone has travelled in a day ?
If for example I got off the ferry in Northern France in the morning, I could be arriving at the border of Spain (nearly 1000km) later that day in about 10 hours in a diesel on the one tank of fuel.
So how far can you get in an EV in the same 10 hours ?

View attachment 7125
We're off to France at Easter, got a discounted subscription with Ionity and a premium sub for ABRP.
Nice, looks like a trip I hope to do in the future, please keep us updated on how you get on.

As an aside, when we travel to Portsmouth (from Leeds) we usually take the A43 then A34 from the M1 (J15a) just south of Northampton. Not sure how that compares with charge stops though as not done that trip since going EV.

What's the furthest anyone has travelled in a day ?
If for example I got off the ferry in Northern France in the morning, I could be arriving at the border of Spain (nearly 1000km) later that day in about 10 hours in a diesel on the one tank of fuel.
So how far can you get in an EV in the same 10 hours ?
London - Edinburgh around 650km, it took us around 9 hours and we also drove through France over 750km in one day but "avoiding tolls" so it took us over 10 hours.

Couple of theoretical calcs, based on getting 200miles out of the MG, and a rapid charge getting 125mile in 40minutes. Travel times from google. (arriving on 0 charge and no charging issues or waiting)
Results compared against what Staarek achieved, aren't wildly out.
Don't know if anyone has comparable real life experience.

London to Edinburgh
7hrs36, 404 miles = 200miles+204 miles. 204/125= 1.63x40 = 1hrs5 charging
Total 8hrs41

France - avoiding tolls
8hrs15, 465 miles = 200miles+265 miles. 265/125= 2.12x40 = 1hrs25 charging
Total 9hrs40

10hour journey
8hrs22, 525 miles = 200miles+325 miles. 325/125= 2.6x40 = 1hrs44 charging
Total 10hrs6

600 miles
9hrs56, 619 miles = 200miles+419 miles. 419/125 = 3.35x40 = 2hrs14
Total 12hrs10

We're off to France at Easter, got a discounted subscription with Ionity and a premium sub for ABRP.
Cherbourg-en-Cotentin - Biscarrosse
7hrs45, 483 miles = 200miles+283 miles. 283/125= 2.264x40 = 1hrs31 charging
Total 9hrs16

Jon, Were you planning on attempting in the one day ?

Total 9hrs16

We do overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo. We're only 100miles from Portsmouth and there are plenty of chargers near ferry port to top up before we sail and only 160miles in France. So in theory shouldn't be a problem

Total 9hrs16

Yes, we've got the ferry from Portsmouth and it's overnight - leaving Cherbourg at 8am and basically spending the day driving. We've got 3-4 stops planned at Ionity, so fresh air and stretch legs. My dad and I did a road trip across America (not in an EV though) and that included similar drives to this so shouldn't be too bad.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom