Long range motor swap into SE

fjr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere - couldn’t find anything related

Has anyone put the more powerful long range motor into an SE/Excite? Or are they the same motor with a different chip which can be upgraded?

Curious to see how the extra performance goes in the lighter car and LFP battery

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Can you not buy an SE LR in New Zealand like you can in the UK?
All types are available. But LR comes with NMC battery. Would be neat to pair the powerful LR motor with LFP battery. Can’t find any discussion on this topic. Maybe it’s not a thing with EVs in general

All types are available. But LR comes with NMC battery. Would be neat to pair the powerful LR motor with LFP battery. Can’t find any discussion on this topic. Maybe it’s not a thing with EVs in general
The LFP battery may not be able to drive the LR motor, LFP is good for low cost and long life, not for maximum performance.

Out of interest, What is the battery in my UK 2023 Trophy LR, I see people mention LPF and NMC but what is mine?

All BYD cars use LFP batteries.
They may do, but this is the MG EV forum and a question about MG's choices! 😂

Different makes will have different rationales. NMC is well known to be the choice for performance applications. That may be changing as LFP technology improves but it doesn't mean it wasn't the reason MG did it.

rationales
My point is LFP batteries are no longer as bad as previously. BYD have some pretty high performance cars. LFP are also much, much safer and can be charged to full 100% without any worries about degradation unlike NMC so can be provide much better day to day range without worries about cell balancing. Most importantly it has much, much better longevity than NMC batteries and is considerably cheaper.

They do, however, have lower energy density so would need a heavier battery for the same capacity, hence MG only use it for the SE. However even this advantage of NMC is getting very small now with the latest generations of LFP.

I think we've lost the point here. I was simply responding to a question about mixing the MG batteries and motors.

If you want to promote LFP, go ahead, I have no objection.
Indeed - the speculation was about the particular battery in the SR SE and its possible electrical outputs, not about LFP battery packs generally.

In RC aircraft LFP batteries work well in efficient aircraft that do not need high current motors, these batteries have a lower 'C' rating, the standard LiPO batteries usually have a higher C rating and are better suited to high current draws, although it does cane the batteries and shorten their life. I would expect the BMS/Inverter to limit the current from an LFP battery to protect it so you wouldn't extract the extra power from the long range motor.

I think we've lost the point here. I was simply responding to a question about mixing the MG batteries and motors.

If you want to promote LFP, go ahead, I have no objection.
I was only responding to your comment about LFP not being suitable for "performance" scenarios. My M4 is a Trophy LR so it has NMC but I would have no concerns about a LFP version, if one exists with suitably sized battery.

I was only responding to your comment about LFP not being suitable for "performance" scenarios. My M4 is a Trophy LR so it has NMC but I would have no concerns about a LFP version, if one exists with suitably sized battery.
My statement was an accurate description of industry norms. NMC is generally preferred for high performance due to its tolerance for much higher discharge rates.

LFP technology is evolving and it may displace NMC someday but it cannot match it yet. The XPower stresses even the NMC battery and can lead to reduced performance if temperatures are low or sufficient charge is not available to sustain max discharge rates.

Other chemistries are also becoming popular and solid state is also on the horizon.

I too would have no concerns about having LFP, but there was no Trophy spec option in the UK with the SR battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom