Long range ZS

Sounds like you gave this poor soul a grilling, @Norfolk Enchance! Talking of opening sunroofs with a verbal command, that reminds me many years ago when me and the people I worked with all drove company cars and it was a bit of an event when someone got a new car, everyone usually went out to see it and look around it (as you do ;)). I remember an excited colleague running into the office to say that someone's new car had verbal controls for the audio system and when the driver said "volume up" the sound increased, and "volume down", the sound went down. Bearing in mind this was probably about the mid-90s, this chap was excited about the technology and was ranting about it like a lunatic. I went out to have a look ad asked the person with the new car if this was true, he replied no, and showed me that he'd been sneakily using the volume controls on the steering wheel to change the volume whilst speaking, and this chap fell for it hook, line and sinker! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ah, the good old days...
The first useful voice command I had on a car was the "go Home" command on the 2010 Prius sat nav when setting the destination.

Yeah could be ?????.
But I think they will be pitching the smaller pack in the newer model, larger than the original pack in the Mk1 ZS EV.
60 kw’s takes it very close the e.Nero and the Kona pack size’s and I would guess at a lower price point than the above as well !.
Original Mk1 ZS EV owners who are just looking at a small upgrade, may go for a 60 kw pack, while others may go straight for a L.R. Version at 70+ kw’s ?.
Who knows, we will have to wait and see.
The price point is the big catch here.
Early adopter cars will be coming up to two years old in Oct / November this year.
Is the “price to change” going to be temping enough for them to upgrade to the newer model ?.
This has the knock on affect of putting some more affordable ZS EV’s out there via the dealerships.
Still with a hefty amount of the warranty remaining, which is a really good selling point for the dealers.
We all watch in interest how this pan’s out.
If MG get’s the pricing structure just right, then it could be brilliant for the MG brand in general 👍.
That is an opinion of course, but comparing with the Kona/e-Niro, their packs are from memory 39 and 64, why would MG go 60 / 72 ?

That is an opinion of course, but comparing with the Kona/e-Niro, their packs are from memory 39 and 64, why would MG go 60 / 72 '
The 39 kw battery in the Kona is not really a required option, to many customers right now.
It is seen as a little "Old School"now.
The newer MG5 Long Range has a 60 kw pack, so offering the 60 kw pack for the ZS EV as a option, makes perfect sense to me ?????.
The same size pack's of 60 kw's could then be standardised across both models !.
Then IF they then go on to offer a larger HV pack size of around 70+ kw's up to the ZS EV and then call this the "Long Range Option".
It is clearly following in the same foot steps of the MG5, by calling this the "Long Range" version of the ZS EV, to then match the MG5.
This also makes perfect sense to me !.
So, a 70+ kw HV Battery fitted in the ZS EV, would then beat the current 64 kw pack size offered in the Kona and the popular e.Niro.
Potential ZS EV customers really wanted the same HV pack size ( range ) as the Kona and the e.Niro, but this came with a much higher increase in the price of the car, therefore this option was quickly disregarded.

The 39 kw battery in the Kona is not really a required option, to many customers right now.
It is seen as a little "Old School"now.
The newer MG5 Long Range has a 60 kw pack, so offering the 60 kw pack for the ZS EV as a option, makes perfect sense to me ?????.
The same size pack's of 60 kw's could then be standardised across both models !.
Then IF they then go on to offer a larger HV pack size of around 70+ kw's up to the ZS EV and then call this the "Long Range Option".
It is clearly following in the same foot steps of the MG5, by calling this the "Long Range" version of the ZS EV, to then match the MG5.
This also makes perfect sense to me !.
So, a 70+ kw HV Battery fitted in the ZS EV, would then beat the current 64 kw pack size offered in the Kona and the popular e.Niro.
Potential ZS EV customers really wanted the same HV pack size ( range ) as the Kona and the e.Niro, but this came with a much higher increase in the price of the car, therefore this option was quickly disregarded.
Isn't the 39 kWh the latest addition, not old school, originally there was only the 64kWh. ? Also with it being far more efficient, gives similar range to the MGs 44.5kWh. Also for the larger packs, similar range even though MG's larger.
The MG5 and ZS have had different battery sizes since day 1, and they are phasing out the smaller pack, so there will not be a 'long range' MG5, just the MG5 with the larger pack.
If you had a 60 and a 70+, they would both be 'long range'.

Last edited:
It surprised me to find that the current ZS EV produced in India has the new, higher capacity battery, along with larger tyres giving a slightly raised stance. I was expecting the new ZS to follow the ICE face lift but maybe there’ll be more to it than that.

Thanks, I do have a vested interest though. If the range is 300 miles, then it becomes a serious car of interest as a future replacement for my current MG5.
I genuinely like the MG brand, accepting all its little foibles and niggles.
I agree. I have an MG5 and prefer it just because of the range - if the ZS has that much extra, I'll jump ship....

It surprised me to find that the current ZS EV produced in India has the new, higher capacity battery, along with larger tyres giving a slightly raised stance. I was expecting the new ZS to follow the ICE face lift but maybe there’ll be more to it than that.
The current car in India is carrying the same battery capacity as elsewhere in the world. I understand that MG India has updated something in the battery(they call in new technology battery, I think BMS) and reported a improved range(not WLTP).
I expect it is an exercise to mislead consumers, the real world range is no where close to the claimed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom