Longest motorway stint in the MG5LR?

JonLovejoy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

We're heading off on our journey to Southern France tomorrow and I was just wondering what the longest single stint anyone has managed on the motorway? The reason I ask is that ABRP is planning Ionity MK, which is fine but has rubbish facilities for food and loos. I was trying to ascertain whether I'd make it to Beaconsfield instead - 201 miles. The last thing I want is to run out of charge before I even leave the country! I think it may be pushing a little but was interested in other people's experiences...

TIA

Hi all,

We're heading off on our journey to Southern France tomorrow and I was just wondering what the longest single stint anyone has managed on the motorway? The reason I ask is that ABRP is planning Ionity MK, which is fine but has rubbish facilities for food and loos. I was trying to ascertain whether I'd make it to Beaconsfield instead - 201 miles. The last thing I want is to run out of charge before I even leave the country! I think it may be pushing a little but was interested in other people's experiences...

TIA
EV Database quotes 190 miles for highway driving in mild weather - so depending on your speed & load, 201 might be a touch optimistic. Sticking with around a 150-ish miles so you're arriving at charger with 20% might be better option? Something like the new Instavolt Hub at Banbury?

EV Database quotes 190 miles for highway driving in mild weather - so depending on your speed & load, 201 might be a touch optimistic. Sticking with around a 150-ish miles so you're arriving at charger with 20% might be better option? Something like the new Instavolt Hub at Banbury?
Yeah, thought it might be, especially as we'll be fully loaded. I've gone for Baldock instead, as the services are much nicer - 165 miles door to door so should have spare charge.

Let me know how you get on as I have booked such a trip.

Current daily record = 400 miles all on mountainous motorways in a 38kw LEAF. I used 120kw of energy to do this

Next in MG = 355 miles in UK,
Then 260 + 490 + 180 + 630 + 400 miles in a day in the EU, break in between of course!

Last edited:
Yeah, thought it might be, especially as we'll be fully loaded. I've gone for Baldock instead, as the services are much nicer - 165 miles door to door so should have spare charge.
If you want to save a few pennies just off the A1 Biggleswade has a Lidl rapid charger which is close to Baldock services if coming from the North.
Omega Centre Stratton Business Park, London Rd, Biggleswade SG18 8YX

If you want to save a few pennies just off the A1 Biggleswade has a Lidl rapid charger which is close to Baldock services if coming from the North.
Omega Centre Stratton Business Park, London Rd, Biggleswade SG18 8YX
I've got an Ionity subscription via Hyundai (wife has an Ioniq) so it brings it down to 25p per kWh. 👍

I'm going to do a little vlog afterwards detailing how it went, what I took (apps, cards, etc). 👍
That's great, first time experience is always handy. I have my 5LR since February but longest journey was from near Derby to Manchester and back. That's no problem at all, I think one could do that twice.
But, coming Saturday I'll go down to Deal in Kent, that's a 241 miles door to door distance with almost exclusively motorway and dual carriage lane. Have planned stop after more or less half the distance, which should hopefully still give me ample flexibility in case of broken or blocked chargers at planned services station.
Just had a message from the person I'm visiting, warning me that there is almost no petrol or diesel to be found in Kent. I have to admit that I felt very smug, responding that I just need simple electricity. Is that bad? 😂

That's great, first time experience is always handy. I have my 5LR since February but longest journey was from near Derby to Manchester and back. That's no problem at all, I think one could do that twice.
But, coming Saturday I'll go down to Deal in Kent, that's a 241 miles door to door distance with almost exclusively motorway and dual carriage lane. Have planned stop after more or less half the distance, which should hopefully still give me ample flexibility in case of broken or blocked chargers at planned services station.
Just had a message from the person I'm visiting, warning me that there is almost no petrol or diesel to be found in Kent. I have to admit that I felt very smug, responding that I just need simple electricity. Is that bad? 😂
You might have to run them to the shops or something! :unsure:

Hi all,

TIA
We've managed to get 200 from full charge on motorway runs setting adaptive cruise and not exceeding 70. With between 15 and 20 miles still showing on the GOM

That sounds a great trip I'm very interested on how you get on because that's something I am considering but tbh I'm a little bit nervous on the charging on the continent with different apps etc.
Good luck.

That sounds a great trip I'm very interested on how you get on because that's something I am considering but tbh I'm a little bit nervous on the charging on the continent with different apps etc.
Good luck.

I begin to think that for a French trip I would bite the bullet and use mainly Ionity to remove charge issue anxieties (Not read of MG/Ionity problems).With three or four in the car the economics of cost becomes immaterial.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom