Looking to buy a used 2022 (pre-facelift) MG5 LR

shiv

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey everyone, my first post here. Looking to join the MG club.
I'm based in Scotland and we're seriously considering getting the MG5 LR with the interest free gov loan on used EVs.

Test drove the MG5 and we liked it! it's super practical for the dog and the occasional camping trip.

The MG dealer was unsure when I asked them about the roof load limit. We have a textbox lite that we use for camping. I'm presuming (based on the more recent posts on the forums), the 22 or 72 plate MG5 EV (pre-facelift) has a 75kg limit?

We haven't bought one yet, just waiting on the loan to go through, hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks!
Found a few <100 miles MG5 EV from various dealers, I'm not sure if home energy scotland would accept the "pre-reg" cars, will need to check.

Is there anything we should look out for when purchasing a used MG5? I'm not sure what accessories come standard with the car?

We didn't get to test parking into the bay during our test drive, but I later found out that they dont' come with parking sensors? is this right?

The pre-facelift Exclusive has a 75Kg roof limit, regardless of age.
Your thread title says looking for used, a pre-reg IS used. :)

My MG5 SR Excite has a reversing camera.
It came with the 'granny' EVSE and I got the protection pack thrown in.
You need to check that the Kers3 recall has been done and ask what the SOH % is.

Early (SR) 5s don't have all the safety features, no pedestrian alert, no Adaptive cruise control etc as there's no front camera or radar.

Thanks! I'm looking at the Exclusive Long Range model from 2022.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures soon!

I'm based in Scotland and we're seriously considering getting the MG5 LR with the interest free gov loan on used EVs.

Test drove the MG5 and we liked it! it's super practical for the dog and the occasional camping trip.

The MG dealer was unsure when I asked them about the roof load limit. We have a textbox lite that we use for camping. I'm presuming (based on the more recent posts on the forums), the 22 or 72 plate MG5 EV (pre-facelift) has a 75kg limit?

We haven't bought one yet, just waiting on the loan to go through, hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks!
Found a few <100 miles MG5 EV from various dealers, I'm not sure if home energy scotland would accept the "pre-reg" cars, will need to check.

Is there anything we should look out for when purchasing a used MG5? I'm not sure what accessories come standard with the car?

We didn't get to test parking into the bay during our test drive, but I later found out that they dont' come with parking sensors? is this right?

We've just been through the process, bought one of the black ones from the north east of England

Ours was June 22 reg and 2700 miles, I didn't see anything against pre-reg but there are rules on demonstators, more than 6 months old and 1000 miles.

no front parking sensors

Total delight of a car to drive, especially on A and B roads. We had an early ZS as our first EV and loved it. But we like the estate type vehicle and find the long range 5 gives an easy 200 plus with a decent reserve. Good choice of car. We took a part loan to cover the extra after getting a grand p/ex deal from Frasers in Falkirk. Got a Granny charger which we carry along with an extension lead. I bought a factory space saver spare as I once tore a tyre to shreds on a sharp rock on an unsurfaced bit of road with my Citroen Berlingo. So leave the repair gunk and tyre pump in the garage. A type 2 cable was supplied with the car and I keep it coiled up on the cover under the bonnet- I use it often and find that’s by far the handiest way to carry it.
I carry a wee plug in emergency charger under the passenger seat in case the 11 volt battery is depleted inadvertently (only did this once but it was a pain so took steps to cure that possibility)
The ubiquitous ten mil spanner famous for a million mentions in these pages is of course present and correct!
I prefer to use Waze sat nav off my iPhone ported through to the car’s screen as it’s quicker to set.
The tri- coat red paint looks good even after a few weeks without a wash but I crept up on the poor thing with the pressure washer today and found the beautiful red paint still pops when clean. And I really like the fifteen spoke alloy wheels.
We’ve had the car about thirteen months and covered almost 12500 miles and found the last 12 months have cost us nearly £150 in the sparky fuel !!
Enjoy!

Total delight of a car to drive, especially on A and B roads. We had an early ZS as our first EV and loved it. But we like the estate type vehicle and find the long range 5 gives an easy 200 plus with a decent reserve. Good choice of car. We took a part loan to cover the extra after getting a grand p/ex deal from Frasers in Falkirk. Got a Granny charger which we carry along with an extension lead. I bought a factory space saver spare as I once tore a tyre to shreds on a sharp rock on an unsurfaced bit of road with my Citroen Berlingo. So leave the repair gunk and tyre pump in the garage. A type 2 cable was supplied with the car and I keep it coiled up on the cover under the bonnet- I use it often and find that’s by far the handiest way to carry it.
I carry a wee plug in emergency charger under the passenger seat in case the 11 volt battery is depleted inadvertently (only did this once but it was a pain so took steps to cure that possibility)
The ubiquitous ten mil spanner famous for a million mentions in these pages is of course present and correct!
I prefer to use Waze sat nav off my iPhone ported through to the car’s screen as it’s quicker to set.
The tri- coat red paint looks good even after a few weeks without a wash but I crept up on the poor thing with the pressure washer today and found the beautiful red paint still pops when clean. And I really like the fifteen spoke alloy wheels.
We’ve had the car about thirteen months and covered almost 12500 miles and found the last 12 months have cost us nearly £150 in the sparky fuel !!
Enjoy!
586814A3-B08E-4797-BA2C-9D323D61279B.jpeg

Charging at Ballachulish

We've just been through the process, bought one of the black ones from the north east of England

Ours was June 22 reg and 2700 miles, I didn't see anything against pre-reg but there are rules on demonstators, more than 6 months old and 1000 miles.

no front parking sensors
Does it come with V2L? The dealer was rather unhelpful and uniformed, even though it was an MG dealer 🙄

We're planning a trip up north early next year. Would be interesting to test the charging points at our usual camping spots.
Many of the public charge points in Scotland are part of the Chargeplace Scotland network (CPS). Works best if you have an RFID card (£10). There is an app to log in to chargers, which the internet suggests can be flaky (may be phone network) - I dont use this so I cant confirm.

The CPS app shows if the chargepoint is 1) Operational 2) Occupied. Prices vary by local authority, a few are still free (so popular).

H have used my MG5 LR Exclusive with roof and cycle bars (see icon).

Mine is the 22 LR and it has both parking sensors and camera. Just about everything comes as standard.

We had a VW caddy max diesel trading it in for the MG5 LR which cost us £32,000 straight from the factory. The cost of electric is shocking going up far more than diesel. After 5 months the car has lost £7,000 and, looking again at the VW caddy max “petrol”, there is a one year wait from the factory. Looks like we are stuck with our 22 plate for at least another 2 years. Nice car. No space. Fast. But not economical.

If you can charge at home and restrict your public charging to relatively reliable tethered charge points (e.g. Instavolt, Osprey, Fastned, some Gridserve, Charge Scotland etc.,) you almost don't need a Type 2 cable and, unless it's included, I would consider spending the money on an MG spare wheel kit instead. It's a space saver wheel but better imo to the gunk that is included. I've ditched the polystyrene holder for the gunk and pump, but kept these items in the side netting in the boot. Best of both worlds. I know that you're in Scotland, but it may still be worth considering window tints to avoid meltdown in the summer ;) Roof Rack takes up to 75kgs.

I thought it was the long range exclusive has 75kg roof weight limit. the standard range had a lower limit.
Good family car. Fits me the mrs the baby and the Labrador in and have done a few camping trips with it to. A squeeze compared to old van but deff manageable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom