Looking to buy a ZS EV 2019-21 model

Sheffield84

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've spent the last few weeks looking at a replacement for our 2011 ford SMAX which has never been great and we just spent 3k on it last year to repair an engine fault. We also own a 2020 Kia Niro hybrid which we love and want to keep. I have 2 kids aged 4 and 7 and the Niro will be used for any long distance travel or trips. We've always bought cars 2-3 years old and kelt them for about 8 years. We don't care about the look or status but want reliability and value for money. I'm also tall 6'5" so I need to fit!

My wife is unconvinced by the MG brand but I'm willing to give it a try. She also wants to get a hybrid or electric car but she's sceptical about full electric. I've looked at charging and costs and with the ohme charger on octopus energy I see the next car being viable for our work run (8 mile round trip) and general use while trying to use the niro as little as possible. To get the charger installed I'd need for fork out an additional 1k as we won't get the subsidy as homeowners (or mortgage payers!) Range isn't an issue at all, but to visit my parents it's an 80 mile round trip.

Confession time, I've yet to test drive the ZS EV or there MG4 I'm planning on booking one in on Sunday. We'd probably get a loan to get the ZS EV and try to keep it but the MG4 we may dabble in PCP or loan deals for the first time. We aren't loaded but I reckon we would get 2k- 3k for the SMAX on a trade in and get a 15k loan. We have some friends who are really into cars and they have all told us to avoid MG at all costs... They've told us the following:

• parts are impossible to get and are expensive
  • unreliable and prone to failure
  • cheap unproven Chinese rubbish
  • Don't hold their resale value

I've read online in reviews like whatcar they are great cars that are great value, but often come bottom in customer satisfaction surveys. I've read online they are prone to rust and I've gone down a bit of a black doom spiral looking at problems with the cars.

Any guidance from you as owners would be appreciated. . Can anyone give me any ammunition to go to my wife to convince her? I like the green credentials of going fully electric and want to be convinced!

Rusting is not an issue, one you tube visit seems to have tainted all news comers,

I’m also taking the plunge with a ZS EV having just retired and moving from two cars to one. The ownership experience I think also comes down to your dealership, so check out the forum.

So many cars are made in China, some BMWs Tesla, Polestar, so don’t believe all you read. The MG ZS may not be best in class, but it is for the cost, even with the £38k Volvo on the horizon.
Enjoy, 👋

I've bought Gen1 about a month ago, so far so good (and I paid it much lower price compared to petrol kodiaq/sportage/tucson etc). Be ready for following:
  1. Chinese didn't apply any uv protection on the glass, so you are being cooked under the sun. Tinting is a must imho
  2. Infotaiment is... crap. The only thing. saving it is android auto (or apple equivalent)
  3. No App, can't shedule charging (or set a limit to it)
  4. While driving with adaptive cruise control, kers is not used, but it's using brakes
  5. Need to keep a spanner in the car to remove the negative from 12v in case its needed, and ideally a battery booster to kick of if your 12v is flat.
  6. Ac is not automatic but manual (once car is tinted it's much more bearable, barely suficient otherwise)
  7. Your remaining mileage is guess o meter. Once while I was travelling I should have about 30 miles remaining after arriving home, but temperatures plunged and I had to stop earlier and charge about 10kw otherwise I was risking being stranded
that's on top of my mind. Just to be clear, I am happy with the purchase, but corners has been cut with this one and it's up to you to decide how important they are for you.

First time electric and first time MG. I bought the MG ZSEV TC LR with some concerns but they soon went as soon as I received the car. It is smooth and comfortable and the build quality appears to be good, no worse than other cars I have owned. Take one out for a test drive and then make your decision.

First time electric and first time MG. I bought the MG ZSEV TC LR with some concerns but they soon went as soon as I received the car. It is smooth and comfortable and the build quality appears to be good, no worse than other cars I have owned. Take one out for a test drive and then make your decision.
Totally agree.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like a good option if you're prepared to workaround some of the issues.

We had a city rover for 2 years...we renamed it the shi@tyrover ... think my wife is still scarred from the experience!

Still have my Gen1 with over 40,000.00 miles on the clock with no problems whatsoever, my only complaint as I do use it for work is more range, summer is great, but winter with heaters on could be better. Other than that as others have said, using Apple play with no infotainment issues and had my windows tinted, but test drive it I’m sure you’ll be surprised, I was…

Booked a test drive tomorrow for a 2020 ZS exclusive for 15k with 40k miles on it. Think the wife might be put off by the spanner comment and the range calculator issues though. Think we've had so many issues with the SMAX she wants a more reliable option. I'm tempted to go for the mk 2 though found one for 22k with 12k miles. The UV windows are a bit of a b@llache but manageable. Thanks for the honest feedback

Booked a test drive tomorrow for a 2020 ZS exclusive for 15k with 40k miles on it. Think the wife might be put off by the spanner comment and the range calculator issues though. Think we've had so many issues with the SMAX she wants a more reliable option. I'm tempted to go for the mk 2 though found one for 22k with 12k miles. The UV windows are a bit of a b@llache but manageable. Thanks for the honest feedback
The spanner usage is a very rare event and many modern cars can suffer from software crashes now and again. It's just an ALT-CONTROL-DELETE to reboot the software (a lot quicker than waiting for the AA to come and do it).

Guessometers (GOM) are just a calculation of your previous drives against the charge in the battery. What I do on long trips is see what the sat-nav says the distance is and subtract the GOM range. If it says around 50 miles remaining when I get to my destination then all is good. :)

From what I have read on this forum if you can stretch it go for a gen 2 it is a better car

I really liked it on the test drive. I have a new job in September which is 6k less a year so we're a bit twitchy on going for the 23k mk2. First tome driving an electric car and loved it. No issues with the steering wheel and I'm 6ft5 and fit into it fine. Going to look at the ohme home charger now and the octopus energy plan. Fingers crossed I can convince the wife!

How do I find a link to the spanner fix please? is there a video link can't seem to find it on YouTube?
Spanner 🔧 fix ???.
Are you referring to the process of conducting a major 12 volt hard reset of all of the 12 volt powered modules etc on the car and when it could be required by any chance.

How do I find a link to the spanner fix please? is there a video link can't seem to find it on YouTube?
It's just a case of disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery to reset all the electronics. Get yourself one of these. Much easier than having to use a 10mm spanner everytime you need to do a reset (which isn't very often). :)
Amazon product ASIN B07TQ7ZK9P

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom