Looped supply?

Gstathers

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am looking at having a home install of an eV charger. I would like to ask the community for a second opinion on the attached photo. I don't believe it is a looped supply as single supply cable split. One side to dno meter the other to a pme. Anyone have any other thoughts on this? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20230502_205727.jpg
    20230502_205727.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 20230502_205757.jpg
    20230502_205757.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 125
I am no expert but mine is like that and it is not a looped supply. Looped would have a totally separate cable coming out.

It looks like one incoming cable but split before the fuse carrier.
You could be the second house at the end of the looped supply.

I think this explains the incoming cable splitting into two. The Neutral and Earth wires are combined within the supply cable. Typically this will be a concentric cable, with the live as the central core, and a ring of wires around this for the combined neutral and earth.
At the property, the Neutral and Earth are separated, with the earth terminal usually being on the side of the cutout. Inside the cutout, the earth and neutral are linked.

The DNO will know if it's a looped supply or not. My house had a single cable, but I was on the end of the loop...
Try looking on here, i signed up And a few days later i received a copy of the electrical layout for roughly 100m radius from my house.
It will show the run of the cables

When looking at the photo, why is there a square shaped hole in the front of the service head ???.
There is a PME sticker suggesting the grounding system, on the front of the service head, but I think this window / hole should be covered purely as a mater of safety ???.

I have no idea I'm afraid. I have an electrician over tomorrow so will ask him 👌
There should be NO areas that could be accessed by any little fingers.
This applies to any electrical connection e.g. consumer units ( fuse box ) etc.
I know it’s in a locked external meter box but it could be left open by mistake.
Has that window been knocked out when the smart meter was fitted I wonder 💭.
The main bonding earth could have been upgraded at the same time maybe ?.
I am sure your sparky will recommend blanking it off regardless.

I am on a looped supply - service comes into my garage from the road, and then across my driveway into the property next door. We are all detached, and not close to each other. Quite odd! My neighbour chose not to take advantage of a new, free service installation, with all the upheaval involved. Quite understandable. However, I have my 7 KW EVSE and I was informed there were no issues with its’ use. Should my neighbour subsequently wish to have a home charger or a heat pump for example, then they would need to be unlooped first. And possibly it might no longer be free.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom