Lost Radio on DAB, FM and AM

KT23

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I've totally lost all radio functionality in my MG ZS Long Range Trophy. It was working fine as I drove down the country a week or so ago and I've tried various resets, scans, etc but with no success. Plugged in USB sticks still play without any problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Also while I and on this subject does anyone know what this symbol on the DAB screen means?
1693751939514.jpeg

If you click on it it changes to the following symbol which is sort of 'landscape' like
1693752002702.jpeg

I've done a search through the various manuals but have not been able to find anything related to it.

Thanks Greg

Hi, my DAB only works in cities. I live in the country and not a gig out of it until very close to the city. I'm nit sure about the symbols.

Upvote 0
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I've totally lost all radio functionality in my MG ZS Long Range Trophy. It was working fine as I drove down the country a week or so ago and I've tried various resets, scans, etc but with no success. Plugged in USB sticks still play without any problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Also while I and on this subject does anyone know what this symbol on the DAB screen means?
View attachment 19968
If you click on it it changes to the following symbol which is sort of 'landscape' like
View attachment 19969

I've done a search through the various manuals but have not been able to find anything related to it.

Thanks Greg
Try a master reset of the 12 volt system.
Disconnect the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery, then wait 10 minutes.
Now reconnect the terminal and tighten with a 10 mm spanner.
This has worked successfully for some owners.

Upvote 0
There was a post a long time ago about checking a white cable in the head unit that could be loose. To be honest the radio in the car is perhaps the biggest gripe I have that it cuts out randomly requiring a reset and often that doesn't work and only a complete car shutdown cures it.
As for the symbol, I'm not sure but I always took that as a placeholder for the radio station's logo. Another thing that works for some but not others

Upvote 0
Try a master reset of the 12 volt system.
Disconnect the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery, then wait 10 minutes.
Now reconnect the terminal and tighten with a 10 mm spanner.
This has worked successfully for some owners.
Would echo this. Was the only thing that fixed it for me! Good luck

Upvote 0

View attachment 19968
View attachment 19969

Thanks Greg
I had some trouble with the radio. Make sure the aerial is screwed in tightly. It cured the problem on our car.

Upvote 0
My radio (DAB) works fine anywhere in the country. No issues at all. I actally changed the aerial for a shorter one so I could get into the garage.

Only issue I have is Bluetooth taking over, but I have got used to that!

On a related subject, does anyone know if the DAB Radio is DAB+ ready?

Upvote 0
HI I've had Mt zs LR
For just over 12 month's and had my car back a numbervof times.
You can be driving for 5 mins or 2 hrs. Then suddenly the radio would freeze. No sound and the display would freeze on what ever was playing at the time it stopped.
I had a number of updates or at least thats what I was told.
Finally the last time the dealer said that they had to reinstall the full new firmware in the infotainment system.
Fortunately since then it has behaved itself.
It has also rectified the service reminder. Which respond after 500miles or so.
So fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
I had exactly the same problem which my MG dealership could not understand so sent a request to MG head office. The updated every software item possible and I fixed the problem by complete fluke.
I carry an iPad in the car as I'm a driving instructor an when I plug the cable in to the USB port at the back of the centre console, I lose DAB signal immediately. Unplug it and it's all fine. Nothing to do with the Bluetooth or WiFi either.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd follow up on my own question with an update - thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

The problem is resolved but not in the usual way! On Thursday evening I went out to start the car and could not open the door with either the door push button or the key fob remote. Used the 'hidden key' in the remote to manually open the door. No power showing on anything and the start button would not work.

I opened the bonnet and put a Maypole battery bank onto the battery terminals. I have it for other purposes, but it includes a 'jump start' facility. The alarm immediately sounded for the door open and everything started working fine. This included the DAB radio so was quite happy but concerned as to what had caused the lack of power.

Nothing was left on in the car for the 3 days that she had been standing in the garage and she was at 80% charge. The previous journey on the Monday was short runabouts in town. The 12v battery was showing 14.2 volts when I looked after getting her started. Does anyone have any ideas?

As I will be leaving the car parked up at an airport for a number of weeks I think I will keep the power bank in the car for when I come back. I'll report back on how it goes at the airport in case it is of use to anyone.

Attachments

• 20230909_152125.jpg
    20230909_152125.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
My radio (DAB) works fine anywhere in the country. No issues at all. I actally changed the aerial for a shorter one so I could get into the garage.

Only issue I have is Bluetooth taking over, but I have got used to that!

On a related subject, does anyone know if the DAB Radio is DAB+ ready?
Hi, I was asking if the ZS radio is DAB+ too. I think it is as I can hear Gold London but wondered if anyone could confirm. Dab or Dab+ (plus) radio on Mk1 ZS?

Upvote 0
This included the DAB radio so was quite happy but concerned as to what had caused the lack of power.
It is very likely, that when the 12 volt battery had run that low, this became very similar to carrying out a full 12 volt master reset.
This can be achieved by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery, waiting five minutes, then reconnecting the terminal achieves the same result.
I would be tempted to carry out a full charge with a smart battery charger myself.
Remember, if you are carrying out a lot of short trips and have the car sitting in standby mode while parked up with the radio etc still in use, then the 12 volt battery is NOT being charged.
While waiting, keep the car in ready mode when the 12 volt battery will be receiving a charge via the traction battery.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd follow up on my own question with an update - thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

The problem is resolved but not in the usual way! On Thursday evening I went out to start the car and could not open the door with either the door push button or the key fob remote. Used the 'hidden key' in the remote to manually open the door. No power showing on anything and the start button would not work.

I opened the bonnet and put a Maypole battery bank onto the battery terminals. I have it for other purposes, but it includes a 'jump start' facility. The alarm immediately sounded for the door open and everything started working fine. This included the DAB radio so was quite happy but concerned as to what had caused the lack of power.

Nothing was left on in the car for the 3 days that she had been standing in the garage and she was at 80% charge. The previous journey on the Monday was short runabouts in town. The 12v battery was showing 14.2 volts when I looked after getting her started. Does anyone have any ideas?

As I will be leaving the car parked up at an airport for a number of weeks I think I will keep the power bank in the car for when I come back. I'll report back on how it goes at the airport in case it is of use to anyone.
The 12Volt battery will read as 14.2v when the car is in Ready mode... this is the voltage the battery is charged at. If you want to see the real voltage ther are 2 options,

1.you can either take the car out of ready mode.. IE turn the car on without your foot on the break, so it turns on infotainment and dash ect, but not give the ready signal (wont let you put it into D or R if your unsure youve done it correctly),

2. you can check the battery voltage via the ISmart app at anytime. (click on vehicle status on the car screen, and 12volt battery is one of the parameters it checks)

Upvote 0

View attachment 19968
View attachment 19969

Thanks Greg
I think the symbols relate to allowing the radio to receive from the strongest signal as you drive past various transmitters. Landscape pic would suggest this. Lolipop = one transmitter? However, I'm sure it's in the manual if you check.

Upvote 0
I'm having problems with the radio on my ZS EV Trophy Connect LR. After it's been on for a while it loses volume on all stations, DAB, FM, and AM. Does not come back on until car is completely switched off and left for a while. Dealer has tried a re-set but doesn't seem to have worked.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Our 2 month old ZS EV LR (Australian) had the infotainment system freeze, and more. Initially my wife was unable to select FM band when it was on a DAB channel. Later that day I turned the car on to have a look at the odometer and her apple carplay map was still up despite the phone being disconnected, but the whole system was unresponsive. None of the buttons on the infotainment system (heating etc) functioned. Next the battery cooling system started up and was pulling 8 Amps. The main display was functioning correctly so I could read this current. I was unable to turn the car off. I disconnected the negative 12V terminal for 5 minutes but it continued running the cooling fan. I reattached the negative terminal. It was a cool day- evening, and nothing was hot when the car was garaged. The car only started cooling the batteries when I turned it on to check the odometer.
I went inside to look how to reset the infotainment system. When I returned to the garage the car appeared to have reset itself.
We took the car to the service dealer and it played up for them immediately.
We haven't had the car since (16 days) and it appears that the dealer has opened a case with MG. We are in the dark other than some information that initially they were unable to communicate with the vehicle. There were some issues with firmware that should not have been touched - NFI.

Upvote 0
I took the car in for the radio fault again last week and they have done a full re-set and update on the infotainment screen as well as re-seating the USB plug. It hasn't made a bit of difference to the fault. It still cuts out sometimes and works others. I don't think anyone has a clue how to fix it reading some of the many problem letters. Getting sick of taking it to the garage now.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem 12 months ago.
I had it back to the garage 4 or 5 times. Until they eventually did a full remap of the information system.
This also seemed to resolve the service schedule fault.

Upvote 0
They've already done that ........had no effect.
My garage said they had done that too.
However they had to download a new version direct from MG. Technical and the seems to have done the trick.
You as I did find as i was, that you where getting fobbed off by the garage. But after telling then the vehicle wasn't as described and I wanted my money back. It seemed to kick them into gear in getting sorted.

I even took the car into them as the radio was playing up. So that they could see for themselves what I was complaining about.

I got the feeling that when the engineer got in the vehicle turned the radio on and it worked. That's as far as he took it.
It works no problem.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom