Lost Radio on DAB, FM and AM

KT23

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I've totally lost all radio functionality in my MG ZS Long Range Trophy. It was working fine as I drove down the country a week or so ago and I've tried various resets, scans, etc but with no success. Plugged in USB sticks still play without any problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Also while I and on this subject does anyone know what this symbol on the DAB screen means?
1693751939514.jpeg

If you click on it it changes to the following symbol which is sort of 'landscape' like
1693752002702.jpeg

I've done a search through the various manuals but have not been able to find anything related to it.

Thanks Greg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I've totally lost all radio functionality in my MG ZS Long Range Trophy. It was working fine as I drove down the country a week or so ago and I've tried various resets, scans, etc but with no success. Plugged in USB sticks still play without any problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Also while I and on this subject does anyone know what this symbol on the DAB screen means?
View attachment 19968
If you click on it it changes to the following symbol which is sort of 'landscape' like
View attachment 19969

I've done a search through the various manuals but have not been able to find anything related to it.

Thanks Greg
I’ve got the same problem with my 73 plate ZS LR. I have booked it into the dealership for a second time since September. Seems to be better near a city (Southampton) but DAB should cover everywhere I travel as it does in other cars. I can’t change station or from DAB to FM or AM.
Again seems a common fault and one for MG to sort out rather than expecting the customer to be disconnecting 12v batteries etc.

Upvote 0
I won't order another Trophy Connect model. The radio is still playing up after numerous visits to the garage and I don't think MG know how to fix it, and the so called "Over The Air " updates don't appear to exist.

Upvote 0
I won't order another Trophy Connect model. The radio is still playing up after numerous visits to the garage and I don't think MG know how to fix it, and the so called "Over The Air " updates don't appear to exist

My 73 plate ZS has been into the dealership garage twice so far for this. They have ordered and are fitting a new radio module next week.

Upvote 0
My radio stopped working a while ago, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about 15 mins and when I reconnected it everything started working properly. It's some kind of reboot for the onboard computer. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
My radio stopped working a while ago, so I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about 15 mins and when I reconnected it everything started working properly. It's some kind of reboot for the onboard computer. Hope this helps
There should be a permanent fix for this. MG can't expect owners to disconnect the 12v battery every time they lose audio from the radio.
I have this issue but it's very intermittent. I would say it happens about once every week or so. When I lose audio for the radio I just switch to android auto and play music from my phone or use Amazon music when I can get that to work.
I need to start creating a log of events as to when this occurs and then contact the dealership for them to investigate.

Upvote 0
There should be a permanent fix for this. MG can't expect owners to disconnect the 12v battery every time they lose audio from the radio.
I have this issue but it's very intermittent. I would say it happens about once every week or so. When I lose audio for the radio I just switch to android auto and play music from my phone or use Amazon music when I can get that to work.
I need to start creating a log of events as to when this occurs and then contact the dealership for them to investigate.
The info unit in the Gen1 model had problems with locking up and displaying a blank black screen etc etc randomly also.
Sat nav would also lose either the display / audio or even both on a bad day 🤣.
The Gen2 unit is much better, but it still has its moments, that’s for sure !.
My car has received the updates for the head unit twice now and had a full 12 volt reset at the time of the annual service, but it still has a tendency to play up on times.
When the unit decides to act up, then the quick fix, is to hold down the “home” button for about 10 seconds, when the head unit screen turns black, release the home button.
This will completely reboot the head unit.
Not ideal while you are on the move and driving alone, but it does work.

Upvote 0
The info unit in the Gen1 model had problems with locking up and displaying a blank black screen etc etc randomly also.
Sat nav would also lose either the display / audio or even both on a bad day 🤣.
The Gen2 unit is much better, but it still has its moments, that’s for sure !.
My car has received the updates for the head unit twice now and had a full 12 volt reset at the time of the annual service, but it still has a tendency to play up on times.
When the unit decides to act up, then the quick fix, is to hold down the “home” button for about 10 seconds, when the head unit screen turns black, release the home button.
This will completely reboot the head unit.
Not ideal while you are on the move and driving alone, but it does work.
Thanks for the tip I'll give that a try.
When I experience the problem I haven't tried disconnecting the negative connector on the 12v battery, so I can't confirm if that would resolve the problem. I basically leave it parked up overnight and it seems ok the next day. Switching the car off and back on again never resolves the issue.
Another symptom I experience is that I am not able to change to another radion channel, it's like the touchscreen is locked up. However, I can move to other displays (Navigation or Android Auto or Music or A/C for example) when in this state.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip I'll give that a try.
When I experience the problem I haven't tried disconnecting the negative connector on the 12v battery, so I can't confirm if that would resolve the problem. I basically leave it parked up overnight and it seems ok the next day. Switching the car off and back on again never resolves the issue.
Another symptom I experience is that I am not able to change to another radion channel, it's like the touchscreen is locked up. However, I can move to other displays (Navigation or Android Auto or Music or A/C for example) when in this state.
When you close down the car leave and lock it, then after a period of time, the car will go completely into a deep sleep.
Then when you return the following day, the whole system has completely reset.
Closing down the car and then rebooting it straight away, is not always effective, for this very reason.
Holding down the “Home” button on the info unit, resets the whole info unit itself.
Disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery and leaving it disconnected for about 15 - 20 minutes, then reconnecting again, performs a deeper 12 volt reset of the whole 12 volt system, not just the info unit.
Holding down the home button is therefore the more practical “Go To” attempt to restore the system 👍.

Upvote 0
This has happened to my 2023 zs tc lr on numerous occasions and I get around it by continuously pressing the source button on the steering wheel. It had it's first service this week and didn't need any software updates after 12 months!!!! When I mentioned the problem with the radio freezing/locking they said it was not an unknown fault as they have had it before and sent the infotainment unit back to MG "for them to do their thing" which takes about a week which rectified the fault. It is not a software problem.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom