MG4 Main Screen Stopped Working

loydex

Standard Member
Reaction score
On top of everything else the main screen stays off. Unless I have switched it off somehow? Just stopped working since this morning when I sat in the car. Locking and unlocking didn't help. Whats next???

Attachments

• 20221015_162119.jpg
    20221015_162119.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 306
I have a reboot problem with touch screen,
Just switch off the on, while radio on or sat nav.
Done a reboot still the problem happens every time I drive.
Only had it 2 years on a 3 year old car. 7 year warranty lost it because they said I didn’t service the car. It was too much to do on universal credit. Now the MG Dealer wants 130.00 just to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit confused really: have you been servicing the car or not? You will need to for the warranty to be valid, but independent garage servicing can qualify if they used MG parts.

You have an EV and you are on Univeral Credit? I presume your circumstances changed and am sorry to hear that.

As others have said, if we knew what model of car you had, would be easier to help you.

Bit confused really: have you been servicing the car or not? You will need to for the warranty to be valid, but independent garage servicing can qualify if they used MG parts.

You have an EV and you are on Univeral Credit? I presume your circumstances changed and am sorry to hear that.

As others have said, if we knew what model of car you had, would be easier to help you.
No, when I got the used car, they didn’t tell me about the warranty. Don’t really know what that was after being on motability for 30 years, until they changed the disability rules.
Tried several garages who didn’t want to touch it and said go to the dealer. Even one garage said that to change the touch screen could cost up to £1,000 quid with the labour and parts as well. So that put me off as well. They also said just replace the touch screen and hard drive is another option.
Overall a 2019 year car, had it since 2020 and already playing up, just imagine another 6 years down the line.
I have contact MG Headquarters for answers.

I think the bus is calling and ditching the car altogether.

Difficult situation. It really needs proper diagnostics at MG but if you can't afford it then 🤷‍♂️

It may well be software or hardware, one cheap one expensive but at least you would know for certain. I think this is beyond a forum answer to be honest and you need a dealership that may be a little understanding of your situation and try and meet your financial restrictions somewhere where both parties are happy.

Alan

The sad part is having the car 'serviced' would have had no effect on the part in question.
They're basically saying, 'you didn't scratch our back so we won't return the favour'
I wonder if anyone has ever got satisfaction from the 7 year warranty to date ?

Right Alan, if I have this in the wrong place please feel free to move it thanks.
So yesterday I took my wife’s MG4 SeSr to the bodyshop to get the damage to the door repaired at an authorised MG bodyshop, so I parked the car went into the office there to hand in the Keys and the guy said it was the first MG4 they had had in the bodyshop, so I said we’ll do you know how to start the car he said it’s just like others isn’t it with a stop/ start button no I said it’s not so I took him out side to the car to show him, I had park the car 10 minutes previously so I open the car got in screen in front of the steering wheel came to life but the other did not, now I had had this 1/2 times on my MG5 mk1 so I knew about pressing and holding the home button, I also had read about it many times on here in these forums but this was the first time on the MG4 for me, anyhow finger on home button for 1/2 minutes nothing is happening small screen is still ok and saying ready but with foot on brake I’m unable to select any drive mode.

So got out the car locked it with the button on the handle reopened it again via the handle got in nothing has change on the home button again still nothing got back out of the car again this time I locked the car with the key fob waited a couple of minutes and reopened it with the key fob open the door and got back in and again the small screen came on but not the other so finger back on the home button for around 30 seconds and it came alive and I could select a drive mode and all was well again, I try it again a couple of times no problems just decide to post this in case anyone else might experience a similar issue I know there are several post that manage to get the system to work but this was a little bit different.
Les

Les, with this cars software there could be multiple "burps" that need different ways of getting "it"...whatever that maybe...working again, so one fix doesn't cover all applies. Thanks for sharing your method. The more complex car software becomes the more room there is for glitches irrespective of manufacturer, however the MG4 in particular appears to need a larger iron than normal to press out the problems at the moment. Given time all will no doubt be resolved. I just wish that they had taken advantage of a new platform and new model to up testing and quality control etc. ahead of launch instead of perhaps rushing to the marketplace imo.

Alan

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums