marketing lies?

drmcw

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone noticed the new "estimated range" section on the MG web site?
They are quoting 387 miles for "slow moving traffic" even 305 miles for "urban". I'm not doubting that these are possible but surely realistic would be better?

Figures from EV Database which are generally fairly well regarded.

Real Range Estimation between 160 - 345 mi​

City - Cold Weather *235 mi
Highway - Cold Weather *160 mi
Combined - Cold Weather *195 mi

City - Mild Weather *345 mi
Highway - Mild Weather *205 mi
Combined - Mild Weather *260 mi

That was my point, that the figures given on the web site would be doable if you had a 400 mile long flat road with a 30 mph speed limit on a warm dry summers day without any passengers, luggage or a/c on. So realistically the figures are lies without any proper context and so misleading to a casual browser of the MG web site. I imagine the legal department added the "Range figures are provided for comparative purposes only and may not reflect real life driving results, which will depend upon a number of factors including the accessories fitted (post-registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load." For comparative purposes then they should really do like the ev-database figures and show expected ranges when cold etc.

Although I don't yet have the car, I think I would prefer to believe the figures given by members of this forum. Actual experiences and all that.
You are on the right track. The various posts here give a good idea of real world driving range. Many people don’t do any or little research and then moan. Realistic daily mileage and charging regime dictates car choice.

What's the story on the 4+ m/kWh tee shirts? Based on the MG web site figures then perhaps it should be changed to 6+ m/kWh as that's where they seem to be headed!

The official figures used for comparison purposes. All EVs have them, same as ICE cars have 'official' mpg figures. See Volkswagen :ROFLMAO:

All my journeys are short, 3 miles each way, urban and so I naively thought I might get the quoted 200+ figure in Summer in my 2020, but I get around the WLTP 163 at best in Summer. I think the short journeys kill the range as I noticed when I went to the dealers 8 miles away my mpkWh went up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom