Masterplug EXS1315B 13amp 1 Socket 5M Heavy Duty Extension Lead - Black

I'm not an electrician, but I don't see why not. It is rated (and presumeably fused for) 13 amps, which is the fuse rating on the granny cable. Looked on Amazon and there are a couple of people who use it for charging their EV's so you should be fine.

Just regularly check the plugs aren't getting hot while in use (would indicate a poor electrical connection in the socket).

If it is only 2 feet short, why not get a shorter extension? 5 metres seems an awfully long cable for what you need. A shorter cable would not need coiled. I'd settle for 2 metres myself.

will this be safe in my garage attached to a granny cable its just too short the granny cable by two feet
It looks like it would work - those chargers are limited to 10 amps so there is a bit of headroom. But I would strongly advise that you get an electrician to fit a new socket that's close enough not to need the extension, for 2 reasons:

1) Whilst the extension will work when new, it is likely to have a hard life, perhaps stored with things on top or trapped in the garage door and any damage will lead to hot spots. I'd trust fixed 2.5mm twin and earth more.
2) You will be putting your existing socket under sustained load for hours overnight. If it or the wiring is defective, a fire is possible and an electrician will check that for you.

If it helps at all I use a 40m extension cable and providing you don't leave the cable coiled then it's fine 😊

It looks like it would work - those chargers are limited to 10 amps so there is a bit of headroom. But I would strongly advise that you get an electrician to fit a new socket that's close enough not to need the extension, for 2 reasons:

1) Whilst the extension will work when new, it is likely to have a hard life, perhaps stored with things on top or trapped in the garage door and any damage will lead to hot spots. I'd trust fixed 2.5mm twin and earth more.
2) You will be putting your existing socket under sustained load for hours overnight. If it or the wiring is defective, a fire is possible and an electrician will check that for you.
Most ring mains are rated at 32amps, a granny charger at 10 amp should be perfectly fine, with or without an extension lead, which must me uncoiled!

Bite the bullet and get a home charger before the grants are removed totally, you might find after lockdown you will use the car more.
good idea about getting a home charger which one would you recommend?

I'd go for the Zappi for its smart features including ability to interface with Octopus Agile and solar. However it isn't the cheapest and you need to add £85 for the hub.

I looked at a lot of them and chose the Zappi, my advantage of being in Scotland is you get the 350 UK government grant then the 300 Scottish grant, which meant I paid around 400 on a basic install, which included the Zappi, Hub and Harvi and if you have solar panels it can handle them also.

I suggest you read this thread:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom