Max power - Amps seen

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
What's the most amps people have seen generated?

I just did some foot down testing....
I got to a maximum of 290 Amps being drawn (at about 430volts)
Interestingly, the motor speed display turned red once it got to something like 8.5(x1000rpm), I didn't have much time to see it exactly!

Regen maximum amps I only saw about -100 amps today, I thought when I was playing around a while ago I got to around -150, need to try this out properly.

(obviously I'm not recommending people go zooming about to test this out lol)

I haven't been using the app while driving for a few weeks, but I recall seeing 290 odd Amps the last time I used it. I may be tripping, but I'm sure I've broke 300 before.

🤔 when I get back from work, the pack should be fully charged and balanced. I'll maybe give it a wee stretch on the drive from the station 😉

I haven't been using the app while driving for a few weeks, but I recall seeing 290 odd Amps the last time I used it. I may be tripping, but I'm sure I've broke 300 before.

🤔 when I get back from work, the pack should be fully charged and balanced. I'll maybe give it a wee stretch on the drive from the station 😉
I wasn’t using the app, I just put it in the volts/amps screen on the dash.

What's the most amps people have seen generated?

I just did some foot down testing....
I got to a maximum of 290 Amps being drawn (at about 430volts)
Interestingly, the motor speed display turned red once it got to something like 8.5(x1000rpm), I didn't have much time to see it exactly!

Regen maximum amps I only saw about -100 amps today, I thought when I was playing around a while ago I got to around -150, need to try this out properly.

(obviously I'm not recommending people go zooming about to test this out lol)
8500 revs is heading towards maximum rpm of the motor/ top speed of the car, that's why it went red. If you keep your foot down a bit longer the drive cuts out and you'll freewheel 'til the revs drop back then the drive cuts in again. Probably not wise to take it up 'til it cuts out too often. I tried it just to prove top speed. I haven't tried to watch max regen amps. Maybe if the battery is down a bit you would see higher regen current

8500 revs is heading towards maximum rpm of the motor/ top speed of the car, that's why it went red. If you keep your foot down a bit longer the drive cuts out and you'll freewheel 'til the revs drop back then the drive cuts in again. Probably not wise to take it up 'til it cuts out too often. I tried it just to prove top speed. I haven't tried to watch max regen amps. Maybe if the battery is down a bit you would see higher regen current
I've seen 9000 a couple times, no cut out however it didn't change back from red until I dropped below 8200.

Do you know how the drive disconnects? I thought that it was permanently engaged turning the motor all the time the car is moving via the transfer gearbox.

I think this is an electrical disconnect rather than a mechanical one.

Do you know how the drive disconnects? I thought that it was permanently engaged turning the motor all the time the car is moving via the transfer gearbox.
Sorry, I meant the drive electrics cut out and the car freewheels 'til the revs/speed drops then it comes back on. I think this happens around 9000rpm which, if the speedo is correct is almost 90mph. You are correct in thinking that the motor is permanently connected.

Sorry, I meant the drive electrics cut out and the car freewheels 'til the revs/speed drops then it comes back on. I think this happens around 9000rpm which, if the speedo is correct is almost 90mph. You are correct in thinking that the motor is permanently connected.
Nah, it's a bit higher than that...or so I've heard 😉

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom