Max size Roof Box

Mg69

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi i need to maximise the size of my roof box, what is the maximum size Roof Box that people have put on their MG5 and being successful

Only the LR has the weight certification to have a maximum load of 75kg including the box and bars but the box will also have a limit. So even if the box is rated at 75kg if it weighs 20kg you only have 55kg capacity

The strongest position for the bars is just behind the front rail feet and just in front of the rear feet and that gap needs to be at least half the length of the box. Too long a box will start to "nod" over bumps

It will also have a significant effect on your range unless you go really slow.

Some pictures here as an example...

Hi i need to maximise the size of my roof box, what is the maximum size Roof Box that people have put on their MG5 and being successful
I have a Kamei 510 (new model released now), originally bought for my Grand CMax but used on my MG5LR. Photo in my profile

I positioned the bars based on a combination of the MG5 manual (which is vague but says mount as far forward as possible) and the Ford manual (80cm gap between bars) - so placed front bar just after the join, and the second bar 80cm later - this is within the range provided in the box instructions (62cm -> 87cm gap)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom