Maximum range in normal

sgt4hed

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Come on, let's see you all flex those ranges. My GOM has been almost spot on so far and my long term average is 4 miles per kW and just ilu plugged to car to see this in normal (not eco).
Screenshot_20220630-144807_MG iSMART.jpg

Pop outside and reset BOTH of your trips and then come back and tell us that the predicted range has now dropped ;) .
See, what did I tell you :oops:.
But why... the range being displayed is based on my driving style... resetting it would probably put it back to 273 which isn't comparable to my driving style 🤷‍♂️

But why... the range being displayed is based on my driving style... resetting it would probably put it back to 273 which isn't comparable to my driving style 🤷‍♂️
This is very true, and yes it would put your predicted range back to a more achievable level !.
The problem I have is this 307 miles of range is a totally inflated figure based on historical data.
If you where making repeated trips over the same roads, in the same weather conditions etc etc.
And can match everything on a repeated 100% basis, then YES could be possible.
But, if you make any charges what so ever to this pattern ( weather / HVAC use / different route etc ) then that inflated figure will not be achievable and you should treat its prediction with some note of caution.
E.G. - You are fully charged and ready to commence a trip that you have NEVER conducted before.
Your predicted ( HISTORICAL ) range on the GOM is displaying 307 miles of range.
The ACTUAL range in distance of this new trip is 290 miles.
Well achievable according to the inflated 307 miles of range on the GOM ?.
Will you make it - very unlikely !.
The inflated figure relies on you being able to mimic 100% your historical driving style to the absolute letter of the law.
It is nice to see this inflated prediction of your expected range, it is a credit to your driving style.
But only speaking for myself here, if I was about to take on a LONG trip that was likely to stretch the range, that I had not done before, and was close to the limits of the pack.
Plus, I could not charge on route, then I would be resetting both of my trips, for sure !.
I find the GOM fairly accurate on a "one to one" basis of prediction vs distance.
As long as the starting figure is fairly accurate of course.
If you are brave enough to believe the predicted 307 of range and achieve it, then well done !.
I am not that convinced by this inflated prediction sorry.
99% of the time, I reset both of my trips before charging.
This way I can keep a mental record of what the car repeatedly predicts after I charge to 80%.
I can then seen any decline in the batteries ability to reproduce the same target figure.
Having had the original ZS EV with smaller pack, and over two years of ownership and covered 20,000 miles, I am keeping a close eye on how this larger battery heath performs over time.
Some early adopters will know where I am coming from here ;).

Excellent driving :)

300 miles range is totally realistic and achievable in the LR ZS EV in summer.

I often see similar in mine and drive such that this is the range the car would get if I drove from full to empty - not that anyone ever does :)

When I decide to drive at more elevated speeds and with more rapid acceleration then the range does drop.

Would advice you continue driving as you do. Resetting the trip is pointless (IMHO). Your car learns how you drive and let’s you know the range you can expect from your driving style.

Here is mine at 80% SOC, which is 308 miles at 100%

084CCBB1-9077-480F-B1BF-A9953E3034FE.jpeg

If you want to know how the battery is degrading then get a cheap OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and connect it to ABRP.

C8E3D58D-920C-40E5-98FC-F9A6564C4A1F.jpeg

Last edited:

I often see similar in mine and drive such that this is the range the car would get if I drove from full to empty - not that anyone ever does :)

When I decide to drive at more elevated speeds and with more rapid acceleration then the range does drop.

Would advice you continue driving as you do. Resetting the trip is pointless (IMHO). Your car learns how you drive and let’s you know the range you can expect from your driving style.

Here is mine at 80% SOC, which is 308 miles at 100%

View attachment 9445

If you want to know how the battery is degrading then get a cheap OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and connect it to ABRP.

View attachment 9444
Oooh that looks good, how do I get that all displayed on the screen with ABRP?

But to be fair, you would have to run the car from 100 down to maybe 2%

I honestly feel they should make an option where you were able to set the range-o-meter to show range but 10% being the bottom.

You would still be able to drive for a while after that, but it would be more realistic with regards to range, if 10% (Or 20% depending on how you feel) that is the bottom.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom