Mechanical knocking / popping noise coming from rear of MG5 Long Range

charles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

I'm new to the forum but have read loads on it over the past 6 months or so whilst deciding whether I should buy an MG5 Long Range or not. ....

Well, I took the plunge and bought one in Piccadilly Blue and I have to say I love it. I've had it for about 2 months so far.... But.....

There does seem to be one problem with it and it has now been back to the dealer twice and it's still not fixed. This time they told me MG Motor UK are aware of the issue and it will be subject to a service bulletin when they find the fix... But they could not advise if this would be a week, a month... or indeed never!!! In fact I wonder if actually I have just been fobbed off! I have Googled the issue but can find nothing which in itself makes me believe it is not a widespread issue and is therefore unlikely to be being investigated by MG Motor UK... Call me sceptical!!!

So I thought I'd put a post on here to see if anyone else has the issue

The issue.... There is a mechanical sounding clonking or knocking noise coming from the rear... Can't work out if it's left or right so could be both or central. The dealer initially thought it was like a panel pop noise and allegedly dropped the roof lining and re-bonded it. Made no difference. It seems worse when driving down a bumpy road, more when the car is being 'twisted' by rough road surface rather than the sort of bump like a speed bump (Although it does sometimes do it over them too). Happens at all speeds from 0 upward and is bluntly beginning to drive me mad! It is literally non stop!!!

The sort of noise we are talking about ... well imagine it's an old car and the drop links are knackered... you know the knocking noise... well it's like that and happens in the same sort of scenarios.

Any thoughts or advise would be really gratefully received.

Thanks - Charles

At a guess I'd say shock absorber as I've seen a few people need those replacing under warranty. However you'd like to think they've checked this?

Upvote 0
I'd say this was very uncommon.
If it's triggered by a twisting motion, could you re-create it by jacking the car up on one corner?

Upvote 0
Just to put your mind at rest, I totally have this too!
Had the rear shocks replaced under warranty but no change.
To me it almost sounds like a heavy cable or similar knocking against the chassis or body.
It also doesn’t seem related to going over bumps etc,But twisting the car is a good description.
I’ve got an appointment in the New Year to take a technician out in the car with me!

Andy

Upvote 0
At a guess I'd say shock absorber as I've seen a few people need those replacing under warranty. However you'd like to think they've checked this?
The shock absorbers are pretty soft. I once had to drop onto the road off of a kerb and it made a sound like the shock absorber had 'bottomed out'. Not great and I have never felt that in any of my previous cars.

Upvote 0
Just to put your mind at rest, I totally have this too!
Had the rear shocks replaced under warranty but no change.
To me it almost sounds like a heavy cable or similar knocking against the chassis or body.
It also doesn’t seem related to going over bumps etc,But twisting the car is a good description.
I’ve got an appointment in the New Year to take a technician out in the car with me!

Andy
Does that experience relate to an MG5?
Your profile says you don't drive an MG :unsure:

Upvote 0
Check that the plastic bushes on the rear seat mountings are in place, they can fall off if someone has had the seat out.

Upvote 1
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it... I could try jacking it up.... worth a shot.... certainly doesn't do it if you push down on each corner.

I like the description of a large cable knocking... could be... I'll re-listen with this in mind and let you know my thoughts.

Andy - Has your dealer provided any other thoughts or told you, like mine, that it's being investigated by MG Motor UK?

I might actually email them and ask.... Again I'll post whatever reply I get

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'm sure it will.

Don't let the noise worry you... Other than that it's a great car and I love it!

I guess if they don't fix it soon I'll just have to get some ear plugs!!

Upvote 0
Hi All

I'm new to the forum but have read loads on it over the past 6 months or so whilst deciding whether I should buy an MG5 Long Range or not. ....

Well, I took the plunge and bought one in Piccadilly Blue and I have to say I love it. I've had it for about 2 months so far.... But.....

There does seem to be one problem with it and it has now been back to the dealer twice and it's still not fixed. This time they told me MG Motor UK are aware of the issue and it will be subject to a service bulletin when they find the fix... But they could not advise if this would be a week, a month... or indeed never!!! In fact I wonder if actually I have just been fobbed off! I have Googled the issue but can find nothing which in itself makes me believe it is not a widespread issue and is therefore unlikely to be being investigated by MG Motor UK... Call me sceptical!!!

So I thought I'd put a post on here to see if anyone else has the issue

The issue.... There is a mechanical sounding clonking or knocking noise coming from the rear... Can't work out if it's left or right so could be both or central. The dealer initially thought it was like a panel pop noise and allegedly dropped the roof lining and re-bonded it. Made no difference. It seems worse when driving down a bumpy road, more when the car is being 'twisted' by rough road surface rather than the sort of bump like a speed bump (Although it does sometimes do it over them too). Happens at all speeds from 0 upward and is bluntly beginning to drive me mad! It is literally non stop!!!

The sort of noise we are talking about ... well imagine it's an old car and the drop links are knackered... you know the knocking noise... well it's like that and happens in the same sort of scenarios.

Any thoughts or advise would be really gratefully received.

Thanks - Charles
After a few months I noticed a creaking noise coming from the rear at low speeds, it's particularly noticeable when I reverse into my parking spot along a very rough lane. Thinking it might be the rear shocks I tried pushing the back up and down; nothing. The nearest I can get to it is from twisting the open tailgate gently which leads me to think it is minor twisting of the body.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Now... That's interesting.... I'll try that tomorrow and I'll tell you why...

The first time it went to the dealer they tightened the boot lid, making it almost impossible to shut. When it went in this week I asked them to slacken it off again and I think the noise is worse now... I hadn't put the two things together, but I'll have a play and report back.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Now... That's interesting.... I'll try that tomorrow and I'll tell you why...

The first time it went to the dealer they tightened the boot lid, making it almost impossible to shut. When it went in this week I asked them to slacken it off again and I think the noise is worse now... I hadn't put the two things together, but I'll have a play and report back.

Thanks again!
It may be one of the hydraulic stays that's a loose fit on the ball joint. Try removing them one at a time.

Upvote 0
I've had a morning of testing scenarios this morning.

Firstly I could get the noise to happen by twisting the boot lid like Kompins can.

1. Removed everything from the boot, the boot cover, polystyrene tool holder, boot floor, everything I could.... Then a test drive... no change! - Reloaded the boot.

2. Shut the boot with a folded over towel trapped in it around the sides and bottom. No Change

3. Same again with the towel along the top..... And as I was trying to get it to stay in place while shutting the boot... I heard the noise! clearly coming from the top of the boot opening. Test drive... Still made a noise but possibly less and definitely quieter!

4. Removed the towel and shook the car while holding it by the top of the boot opening... The noise!!! Tried again... nothing.... Then tried prodding and pushing the metal area in front of the boot seal... nothing... Shook the car again by the top of the boot opening... The noise!!! I then discovered... If I push the metal area along the top of the boot opening infront of the rubber seal... IE in the hinge area... along the centre section between the two hinges and then grip the car by the top of the boot seal and gently shake I get the noise... Just a single 'pop' or 'knock' each time... but each time faultlessly.

So then I removed the top of the boot seal... The noise still happened. So then I dropped the head lining.. There are two pop fittings just 1-2 inches back from the boot opening.... Tried again... No noise.

How could I stop this.... Time for a mince pie... coffee and the think....

I had a pack of finest quality 3 for £1 wilko car cleaning sponges. Thick but very squishy.... I cut one in half across its width and stuffed one half in each of the holes that were in the double skin of the roof (IE the bit immediately above the boot opening.... The other sponge I cut in half length ways and then in half again to make it half the thickness and laid one piece on either side of the head lining and then popped the head lining back up with its pop fixings...

Tested... No noise... Test drive... No noise... Found a really bumpy road... I got one pop...... This is not a fix... It's a bodge and perhaps on a sunny day rather than a wet day I'll have a better look but the source of the noise is deffo there... It's just a case of what and why.

Kompins - If you're bored perhaps you could try pressing your car along the hinge edge and then shaking it to see if that creates the noise for you.

I'll feed back more as I drive the car more... The issue could be a simple as the headlining pop fittings 'creaking' and a bit of grease may sort.... I'll keep you updated

Of course if anyone has any other thoughts on what it could be or how to fix what I have found please post!!

Charles

Upvote 0
Mine has an annoying rattle, which sounds like the tailgate cover or the number plate rattling, I'm planning on getting in the boot sometime and let the wife take us for a test. Reminds me if the Rollers that used to drive around Crewe with a chap in the boot😄

Upvote 0
My dealer haven’t said anything else but I’ll report back after taking out the technician in the new year.

For prospective new owners, I wouldn’t worry too much. The car is great value for money and I’m very happy with it but also aware it’s a “cheap” car and corners have to be cut to get the other benefits of the car.
Mechanically there’s nothing the dealers can’t sort as long as the can get the parts and most seem willing to help.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom