Melted passenger seat

Ranger

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I cleared my Mg5 exclusive out to find the the passenger seat had melted. I'm guessing the the recent heat wave and having a bottle of water in the car has caused it, but I'm not really sure what to do about it. Can we buy the seat base on its own? Should just ask MG about fixing it or straight to the insurance company?
I don't even really have passengers so it should have about 25 miles in bottom ware.
The plastic seats are very plastic and are night and day to my wife's leaf tekna seats.
If I could have anything for the car it would be a set of leaf seats that fit. Or the Mg5 cloth seats if I could still have the heated seats.

Very sad. 🥺

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_164934.jpg
    IMG_20210729_164934.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 368
You should be able to get that smart repaired. They can do most stuff and make it almost invisible. I can’t recommend a company but a google search should find someone who could quote you.

That's very bad luck - could the water bottle have acted like a magnifying glass? Unless you can prove there is a fault with the material i wouldn't think MG will help.
Possibly a set of seat covers from Halfords or the like will be an (un)satisfactory short term solution.

Seat covers may be good in the short term, but I worry about airbags and heated seats.

I took a look a smart repair and fell head first down the rabbit hole of thinking I may get the whole car re upholstered in a nice colourful diamond stitch leather. The wife hardly goes in my car, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Oh god....that's some bad luck you got there.... Search YouTube....you might stumble upon some ways to fix this.....

Hope you find a way...🤞

Find some decent cloth seat covers? Pretend the plastic never melted.

I cleared my Mg5 exclusive out to find the the passenger seat had melted. I'm guessing the the recent heat wave and having a bottle of water in the car has caused it, but I'm not really sure what to do about it. Can we buy the seat base on its own? Should just ask MG about fixing it or straight to the insurance company?
I don't even really have passengers so it should have about 25 miles in bottom ware.
The plastic seats are very plastic and are night and day to my wife's leaf tekna seats.
If I could have anything for the car it would be a set of leaf seats that fit. Or the Mg5 cloth seats if I could still have the heated seats.

Very sad. 🥺
Wow ….. That is really nasty 🤢!.
The material even looks like it has a brown burn stain to the edges to the worst part of damage.
It almost looks like a hot electrical device has been left on the seat, like a computer or tablet etc that has been on charge ?.
Although it has been really hot in the U.K. just lately, I wonder how fellow friendly owners in hotter climates like Australia 🇦🇺 would find this problem an issue with their cars ?.
If there was a problem with the material, you would expect them to be suffering this problem given the crazy temperatures they have down under.
A 100% repair could be done by ordering ( if available ) a new seat cushion cover from the dealer.
Or the OEM seat cushion could be removed ad unpicked and a new centre section installed by a good interior trimmer.
But matching the grain effect of the material, maybe difficult.
A dealer replacement cushion cover is the best repair option ( if available ) but unlikely to be cheap ???.
Hope you get it sorted my friend.
That damage would over load my OCD that’s for sure !.

The water bottle probably acted like a lens and concentrated the suns rays to that focal point.
The same would have happened with leather, or any material in fact. We had the same, some years ago, with a leather wing chair that was near our bay window. The old bay window had what they call bulls eyes in some of the glass panels and one of them focused the sun onto the chair. Fortunately this was on the front of the house where the sun starts and moves round and away from the window later on in the morning so it didn't catch fire (no fire retardant materials back in the 70s).

Cant find the photo online at the moment but I recall years ago seeing a picture of a melted car seat in a kit car magazine. The vehicle was a kit car which had a soft top with a roof window. Rain had puddled in the window whilst the car was parked. Then the sun came out and the puddle neatly focused the sun onto a seat back.
If I can find it i'll add a link but it was so long ago I ain't hopeful.

Good luck, and VERY good to know this material can melt like that!

As it's pretty freakin' hot where I live, and I often have water bottles sitting on the rear seat, the note is WELL taken!

Gutted for you!
Could the heated seat switch have been knocked or left on by accident to aid and abet the situation?

Gutted for you!
Could the heated seat switch have been knocked or left on by accident to aid and abet the situation?
No, they reset each time you turn the car off and they haven't been on in ages, but a good thought.

It was purely the sun and heat. Could you imagine if it had gone up properly, the battery would of been a super fuel.

No, they reset each time you turn the car off and they haven't been on in ages, but a good thought.

It was purely the sun and heat. Could you imagine if it had gone up properly, the battery would of been a super fuel.
I used to work in optics/fibre optics and I remember that a sphere-lens has its focal point right up close to the lens (for parallel incident light). In the same way, the bottle of water is like a 2-D sphere (i.e. it's a cylinder) so its focal point would be very close to the surface it is sitting on (in this case your seat). Just imagine if you had left a crystal ball on the seat - you wouldn't have needed it to predict the immediate future!!
Really bad luck and hard to believe!

Find some decent cloth seat covers? Pretend the plastic never melted.
We've had our seats get really hot this past month or so, so I ordered some seat covers from Amazon. took a couple of weeks to arrive but they fit quite nice for covers and have a stitching that makes them look original. They're designed for air bags too, so that's a bonus

Front covers fit really nice with a bit of pulling and fiddling. The back covers fit ok but still need a bit of fettling to tighten up esp around the headrest and central armrest (my wife sews so will adjust em to fit better) the headrest holes didn't align so I just poked a new hole in em. but for £26 delivered they've solved the hot seat problem and look tidy enough for me not to get irritated by having to use em....

IMG_20210926_142856099.jpgIMG_20210926_142922103.jpg

Last edited:
You must have had the last one. They're now showing as unavailable. There's similar in different colour ways as well, so all is not lost. The blue ones would go well in my Piccadilly Blue 5

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom