Message on rear of (3 pin) official granny charger

watdub

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I was lucky enough to get an official MG granny charger with my MG5 LR. Although I live in Ireland, we share a similar electricity grid (240V, 3 pin plugs) so we probably have the same official granny charger. I don't understand one of the instructions on the back of the charger and was hoping someone on here could explain it to me?

The message reads: "Please maintain an AC balanced charge of at least 9 hours per month;"

I know what balancing the battery is and I do that every 2 weeks or so. But 9 hours per month? Does anybody know what this means? If I finished balancing the battery at midnight, for example, and didn't touch the car for the next 9 hours, would that satisfy the instruction above?

TIA

P.S. Apologies, I should have resized the attached photo!

Attachments

• Granny Charger Heavy Crop.jpg
    Granny Charger Heavy Crop.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 88
Adopting a fixed time period is pointless.
Once it's achieved balance it will shut down the charge regardless.
It might be a belt&braces position to take when you can't monitor the current.

It just means 'leave the car plugged in for at least 9 hours at least once per month. Sadly they didn't both to employ a native English speaker to sense check their wording on anything - hence the 'please charging'.

Once the battery has reached 100% the charge rate will drop to between 300-500w and go to zero once fully balanced.
If you don't use rapid chargers much then once a month balance suffice.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom