MG 4 electric home charger

bajwa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Greetings All,
I have some questions regarding MG4 electric (essence 64kWh). Need to install fast home charger for the car. I have single phase electricity at home. Can someone please recommend me what charger I go for and what are the some of the factors should I consider before installing. Also, I have got solar panels installed at my home.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question to consider is, do you want to use an Octopus Intelligent tariff? If so their are threads on the Forum discussing this. (Since I now see you are in Australia. this probably doesn't apply).
I have an Hypervolt charger which is good. Again check the forum for topics about solar power. There are many Australians on the Forum who have provided good advice.

Perhaps one for our Antipodean friends to assist with, I'm not sure they have Zappi's or Ohme's or Octopus IO in Oz.

I'm not sure they have Zappi's or Ohme's or Octopus IO
Some of us do import Zappis (I believe that they are a British invention), I've never heard of an Ohme here (but there could be some here), and I'm pretty sure we can't get Octopus plans of any flavour. Though we do have energy company Octopus Investments; it doesn't seem to be associated with the British electricity retailer.

Not sure of the available chargers in Oz, however you should check out your costs for supplying excess power to grid from your solar panels versus costs for charging car. If (as is usual) cost of power from grid outweighs what you get for supplying power to grid then you want to look at charging car before export and a charger that facilitates this (usually via a CT clamp).

Another factor to consider if you want to primarily use solar is the size of the array. Here in the UK the default size appears to be 4kW, which is fine if you are using the granny charger but a dumb 7kW one would just take the rest from the grid, an intelligent (expensive) charger would throttle back the charge rate to match your solar output. In my case probably close to what the granny would supply.

I have just installed a Hypervolt Home 3 pro charger to charge my MG4 SR 50kWh.
I also have 7.2kW peak of solar panels and 30kWh of house batteries. I use a split rate tariff from EON which is currently 9.5p from 00:00 to 07:00 then 32p from 07:00 to 24:00.
I am currently charging the house (and car when it needs it) overnight and running the house from the batteries all day. I don’t use any of the peak rate grid. I have also just applied for the SEG export tariff which will pay 16.5p/kWh in the summer. I have an ASHP to heat the house and water so I use a fair amount of energy but with the heating off in the summer I am confident that I will have excess solar to export.
I could get a slightly cheaper tariff but not one that offers 7 hours of off peak. This was a key design consideration for me as the MG4 charges at 6.6kW and I wanted a full recharge from 20% SOC overnight.

I've seen good reviews of the Evnex e2 which has smart solar monitoring. I was thinking of getting one of these installed but then discovered that it won't be able to monitor solar in my case as I have 3 phase power.
If it's for an outside installation, I've heard that Zappis don't handle the harsh Australian sun well.
There's lots of useful tips on the solarquotes website.

I have just installed a Hypervolt Home 3 pro charger to charge my MG4 SR 50kWh.
I also have 7.2kW peak of solar panels and 30kWh of house batteries. I use a split rate tariff from EON which is currently 9.5p from 00:00 to 07:00 then 32p from 07:00 to 24:00.
I am currently charging the house (and car when it needs it) overnight and running the house from the batteries all day. I don’t use any of the peak rate grid. I have also just applied for the SEG export tariff which will pay 16.5p/kWh in the summer. I have an ASHP to heat the house and water so I use a fair amount of energy but with the heating off in the summer I am confident that I will have excess solar to export.
I could get a slightly cheaper tariff but not one that offers 7 hours of off peak. This was a key design consideration for me as the MG4 charges at 6.6kW and I wanted a full recharge from 20% SOC overnight.
Can I ask, what is a ASHP?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom