• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Mg 5 rear heated windscreen

I've had my mg5 short rang for about a month and have noticed the rear heated windscreen doesn't work on the bottom 3 lines. Initially the dealer's sticker was over them. I've contacted the dealership and they have removed the sticker and looked at the rest of the mg5 in stock which they bought at the same time as mine. There conclusion was they are all the same but they said they would contact MG to see if this was a faulty batch. The question is. Has all the MG 5s got this problem?
Yes i have the long range MG5 and the lower 3 lines do not work i have reported the fault no answer .

I've had my mg5 short rang for about a month and have noticed the rear heated windscreen doesn't work on the bottom 3 lines. Initially the dealer's sticker was over them. I've contacted the dealership and they have removed the sticker and looked at the rest of the mg5 in stock which they bought at the same time as mine. There conclusion was they are all the same but they said they would contact MG to see if this was a faulty batch. The question is. Has all the MG 5s got this problem?

The bottom 3 lines of rear screen 'heater' are the aerial of the DAB radio.

Yes i have the long range MG5 and the lower 3 lines do not work i have reported the fault no answer .
Gary if you look back in the thread #12 #13 you will find there all the answers for you from a year or so back. There is no difference in any MG 5 models SR LR or even the newer up lifted model recently released the the same bottom couple of lines are for the radio and not heaters crap I know but that’s how it is.
The MG 4 is the same all models plus it as no rear wiper.
Les

Last edited:
Thats good to know I had been wondering where the aerial was. i like not having to remove anything to go through a car wash lol

So I’m glad Davet has placed this question because I was wondering how others find the heated rear screen in the 5, I find mine to be quite poor in the demising process even now, as I have said above I believe the bottom couple of lines on the screen or for the radio aerial but the rest of it is very slow to warm up in my view had no frost on it as yet but even misting seems slow to clear, and where the rear wiper parks itself is at the bottom where the aerial lines are, so in the winter I think you would need to be very careful to release it from any frost as I’m sure you could easily damage it if you didn’t as that part of the screen would stay frozen for quite a while I think, some of you would have had the car last winter so how did you find if when it Was frosty ☃️
Les
Yup. Mines a 22 model Exclusive and is exactly the same. Took it to the MG main dealer, they were not aware of the FM radio aerial part and replaced the screen. The new screen is exactly the same -gaps three lines up to the right of the wiper centre. Agree with others, not the best design and leaves the wiper stuck to the glass in very frosty weather! Back at the dealership again this morning for a new DAB radio module as it packed up (driving without a radio is enough to drive me insane!!) for a new one fitted and to be programmed. Takes about three hours so, four hours in...........

This radio Ariel in a stupid place and the new face lifted Trophy model is no better I remember my son had a Ford once and the Ariel was in the 2 rear most windows on the sides of the boot area and I have more than once seen the same thing on other makes Stilly design without much thought and I don’t see anyway around it to be honest.
Les

My Freelander 2 had its DAB aerial as a set of elements in the boot side window. No problem with it although it tended to switch transmitters 2 or 3 times on the way to work

I find the rear window a little strange. MG think it ok to delete elements yet other manufacturers have extra de-icing elements under the wiper park position

Shame the entire HRW trackwork isn't heater. All that would be needed to achieve that plus the ability to use it as an ariel as well, would be for power and ground to be via small inductors (stops RF disappearing into the power wiring) and one end also fed to the radio input via a small capacitor (stops 12Vdc going into the antenna input and probably already exists in the radio). I think that's already done in some vehicles but can't locate any references.
My old Passat estate had a HRW plus antenna tracks on the rear quarter windows. Seemed to work well.

My old 56 reg Avensis, that I sold last year had the antenna built into the rear screen.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom