MG Chargehub Firmware

jessejackson

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Does anybody know of or have access to firmware updates for the MG Chargehub?

I’m running 1.0.0.0.7b107 - is this the latest?

Scheduled charging with my Chargehub/ZS EV simply doesn’t work properly, and through trial and error, I think it comes down to some kind of fault with the charger.

Cheers!

I'm also having the exact same issue, scheduled charging works with the 10A plug in charger but not the charge hub. I can't remotely start a charge with the app either.
I think it might be something related to the car going to sleep mode, ie the charger fails to keep it awake.
I'm also running 1.0.0.0.7b107.

Upvote 0
I'm in a local Facebook group, and plenty of people have no problems with other chargers - the problem seems to be specific to the ChargeHub.

What I've noticed is this - when you plug in when out of schedule, the charger light flashes blue and makes a click noise to turn itself off. If the charge schedule starts while the light is flashing blue, then it works.

However, that blue flashing only lasts around 10-15 minutes, and then just changes to a solid blue light. Once it changes to solid blue, any start in schedule won't work. I very much doubt the car has gone to sleep in 10-15 minutes - I'm almost certain it's the ChargeHub that decides not to start charging, even though the car gives the signal that it's ready.

Upvote 0
@EVSalamander had a breakthrough - an MG Australia representative got back to me with a new firmware version, which fixes the issue!

Here's a link to the firmware and the PDF on how to do the update.
Thanks for providing this! Information on the MG branded version of the StarCharge wallbox is hard to find. Were there any additional steps you needed to perform that weren’t in the documentation? I performed the update and it all looked okay during the process: the ChargeHub restarted a few minutes after the upload and came back on line… but is still sitting stubbornly at version 1.0.0.0.7b107 ?

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience. I had to try it a second time before it worked.

The second time I did it, I was very careful not to navigate away from the update screen after doing the update for like 15 minutes (it says in the instructions not to click/do anything after initiating the update).

Not sure if that was it, or if it just failed the first time (it also says in the instructions to just try again as it might fail 😄).

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience. I had to try it a second time before it worked.

The second time I did it, I was very careful not to navigate away from the update screen after doing the update for like 15 minutes (it says in the instructions not to click/do anything after initiating the update).

Not sure if that was it, or if it just failed the first time (it also says in the instructions to just try again as it might fail 😄).
Ah, oops 😆 Thanks, Yes I was so cautious that I wasn’t keen to try it again.. but not cautious enough to read right to the bottom of that page where it says to try again if the version doesn’t change! 👍
Edit: After which it worked ok and shows the new version.

(And not really of any consequence but interesting tidbit: Now when browsing to the ChargeHub from Safari it shows the manufacturer Star Charge’s branding and none of the MG branding anymore.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@EVSalamander had a breakthrough - an MG Australia representative got back to me with a new firmware version, which fixes the issue!

Here's a link to the firmware and the PDF on how to do the update.

Hi Jesse- many thanks for this. Can I ask how you managed to get this- I can't seem to get any info from MG themselves. I'm wondering how in the future we might be alerted to further updates etc? Pretty poor support and information from MG unfortunately...

didn't work for me using edge browser- will try again soon

Upvote 0
I'm wondering how in the future we might be alerted to further updates etc? Pretty poor support and information from MG unfortunately...
Yes it appears they just said to StarCharge “we’ll pay a license fee to slap an MG logo on your Aurora chargers”… and then that was the end of their involvement.

I too am curious about how to get support if ever needed as their listed contact [email protected] doesn’t reply. I enquired a few times about the “MG ChargeHub App” mentioned at MG Motor Australia and get zero response.

In the end I’m not overly concerned as the wallbox works perfectly fine in Plug‘n‘Charge mode. Being a bit of a gadget nerd though it’d be nice to access the charging data and analytical feedback and bluetooth connectivity MG advertise but clearly have no idea about. I guess they are assuming it’d just be hotels etc using an OCPP service who would want these features so MG leave it up to third parties.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone is having issues accessing the MG portal or even to connect to the ChargeHub wifi hotspot?

Upvote 0
Hi All,
I am wondering if anyone is having issues accessing the MG portal or even to connect to the ChargeHub wifi hotspot?
No, but what kind of trouble are you having? I turned off the hotspot in mine, but when it was active no issues accessing it from a 2.4GHz device using the default config:

Attachments

• IMG_4153.jpeg
    IMG_4153.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
No, but what kind of trouble are you having? I turned off the hotspot in mine, but when it was active no issues accessing it from a 2.4GHz device using the default config:
Thanks for your reply! I am not quite sure what is it that I am doing wrong...
I have tried to connect it to it using the instructions however the MG_chargeHub is never visible to connect to it.

Is there a way to reset the hub? I tired the rest stop button on the side but nothing..

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply! I am not quite sure what is it that I am doing wrong...
I have tried to connect it to it using the instructions however the MG_chargeHub is never visible to connect to it.

Is there a way to reset the hub? I tired the rest stop button on the side but nothing..

Did it ever work? If not, then I’d suggest contacting MG because it should be broadcasting that out of the box, but only on 2.4GHz - it doesn’t support 5GHz. Another possibility is if you had previously changed it to Client mode so it connects to your home WiFi, then that disables the MG_ChargeHub hotspot. You should still be able to connect via the IP address your WiFi router assigned to it.

As for resetting it: that red knob on the side is really just an Emergency Stop. The only way I know to reset the software to defaults it is to connect via an ethernet cable and browse to its default IP 192.168.88.206. The ethernet port is internal though, so if you didn’t get the installer to run a network cable to it you won’t be able to do that.

(Technically you can access the port by removing the unit from the wall or pole mount and removing the back plate, BUT the port is also just centimetres from the mains power active/neutral/earth wires so unless you’re an electrician I wouldn’t go messing around with it.)

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 1
Did it ever work? If not, then I’d suggest contacting MG because it should be broadcasting that out of the box, but only on 2.4GHz - it doesn’t support 5GHz. Another possibility is if you had previously changed it to Client mode so it connects to your home WiFi, then that disables the MG_ChargeHub hotspot. You should still be able to connect via the IP address your WiFi router assigned to it.

As for resetting it: that red knob on the side is really just an Emergency Stop. The only way I know to reset the software to defaults it is to connect via an ethernet cable and browse to its default IP 192.168.88.206. The ethernet port is internal though, so if you didn’t get the installer to run a network cable to it you won’t be able to do that.

(Technically you can access the port by removing the unit from the wall or pole mount and removing the back plate, BUT the port is also just centimetres from the mains power active/neutral/earth wires so unless you’re an electrician I wouldn’t go messing around with it.)
In an attempt to connect mine to the wifi, I now can’t access the configuration portal. I’ve seen you and others say that I should still be able to access via the IP address, however I can’t seem to.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
If by “an attempt to connect mine to the wifi” you mean putting it into WiFi client mode instead of AP mode then you’ll need to connect to it via whatever IP Address your WiFi router has given it.

The way to find that IP that varies by router, so you might need to do a search or maybe visit somewhere like the Whirlpool forums, but long story short you need to log into your router and find the DHCP assignments. It’ll be in there with a name like ‘MG-ChargeHub’ or if it only shows a MAC address it’ll (possibly) be the one that starts with 34:6F:24:….

If still no luck, then an Ethernet cable unfortunately is the only other option.

Upvote 0
If by “an attempt to connect mine to the wifi” you mean putting it into WiFi client mode instead of AP mode then you’ll need to connect to it via whatever IP Address your WiFi router has given it.

The way to find that IP that varies by router, so you might need to do a search or maybe visit somewhere like the Whirlpool forums, but long story short you need to log into your router and find the DHCP assignments. It’ll be in there with a name like ‘MG-ChargeHub’ or if it only shows a MAC address it’ll (possibly) be the one that starts with 34:6F:24:….

If still no luck, then an Ethernet cable unfortunately is the only other option.
Thanks so much for your reply.

I have found the DHCP assignments and they only have MAC address. What do I do with those though? I can’t click on them and I’ve tried copy and pasting the IP address but to no avail.

Upvote 0
If you have the IP address then you can try to ping it, but if you don‘t get a reply then you could try power cycling the ChargeHub. If there’s no isolator switch near it to power off and back on, the circuit breaker for it in your meter box hopefully is labelled and you can flick it off for a minute and then back on.

Yep, the old “have you tried turning it of a back on again?” 🙂

Upvote 0
O
If you have the IP address then you can try to ping it, but if you don‘t get a reply then you could try power cycling the ChargeHub. If there’s no isolator switch near it to power off and back on, the circuit breaker for it in your meter box hopefully is labelled and you can flick it off for a minute and then back on.

Yep, the old “have you tried turning it of a back on again?” 🙂
Okay but once I have the IP address, what do I do with it? As in, how to I open it? In the address bar of a browser?

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom