MG compatibility with Android Auto

jaykew

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This link has been sent to me by the customer support desk at Waze with whom I have recently raised a query regarding lack of sound alerts.

Android Auto Compatibility | Android

Published by Google the link lists all the vehicles currently compatible with Android Auto. There is not a single MG vehicle on the list.
I was under the impression when I purchased my new Gen2 ZS EV last September that it was fully compatible with AA but it seems that this is not the case.

Waze are using lack of compatibility between the MG infotainment system and Android Auto as the reason for my problem. (The problem has only arisen since the recent AA update. Up until then everything worked fine.)

If the list is correct and up to date it looks as though MG owners may experience more and more problems when trying to connect via Android Auto.

AA and Apple Car Play work fine on my Gen2, maybe it's Waze that is the problem and I can't tell you because I don't use Waze.

AA and Apple Car Play work fine on my Gen2, maybe it's Waze that is the problem and I can't tell you because I don't use Waze.
You are probably right but they are telling me that I have a vehicle which is not on the published list of vehicles approved for use with Android Auto.

Download Mapy from the playstore Mapy.cz is the app, it's free with offline maps and no advertising live traffic if you have an internet connection. Works fine with AA and Carplay.
mapy.cz - cycling & hiking offline maps - Android Apps on Google Play

Failing that get yourself an apple device.

‎Mapy.cz navigation & maps

1684775752482.png

Last edited:
You are probably right but they are telling me that I have a vehicle which is not on the published list of vehicles approved for use with Android Auto.

There's probably some sort of higher standard of testing and certification that MG don't want to concern themselves with to get on that list. There are no other Chinese automakers on there either, so make of that what you will.

Upshot for me is that the Android Auto experience is a million times better than the built in Nav and media player - "official" support or no official support.

Waze is the only app that doesn't give this alert as it was removed.

Google Maps will give you speed camera beeps and all other sat navs work fine.

I've raised this to Waze that they don't work and go a completely different reply to yourself. They advised me that they had been disabled due to issues within their app and they were bug fixing it and they would be restored in due course.

Last edited:
There's probably some sort of higher standard of testing and certification that MG don't want to concern themselves with to get on that list. There are no other Chinese automakers on there either, so make of that what you will.

Upshot for me is that the Android Auto experience is a million times better than the built in Nav and media player - "official" support or no official support.
BYD (Chinese) is on the list. But what surprises me is that MG refer to Android Auto as a key part of their infotainment system without agreeing the spec with the owners of A A. Yes you're right, it's an excellent system and most of it works with the ZS even though not approved.

Waze is the only app that doesn't give this alert as it was removed.

Google Maps will give you speed camera beeps and all other sat navs work fine.
Does Google give you a beep when you equal or exceed the prevailing speed limit? That's what Waze used to do. It's a bit more than a speed camera beep.

Does Google give you a beep when you equal or exceed the prevailing speed limit? That's what Waze used to do. It's a bit more than a speed camera beep.
No it doesn't.

However the car has built in alerts it can do, it can read the road signs and alert you if you set it up.

Waze not giving audio prompts is more a Waze Android Auto app issue and not a MG version of Android Auto issue. The Waze client for Android Auto is shockingly poor tbh.

This thread should be more accurately titled 'Waze compatibility with Android Auto'; My Samsung ZFlip has been working perfectly for some years now, both on a Mk1 & now a Mk2 ZS EV.

Waze customer support who say there is nothing they can do if I have a non compatible vehicle
I don't think they would help much even if the car was in the list...

Waze is also behind on android auto. Still doesn't support the split screen that you get from google maps.

I don't think they would help much even if the car was in the list...

Waze is also behind on android auto. Still doesn't support the split screen that you get from google maps.
It should do. It was updated to support it.

Most Android Auto issues seem to be related to poor cables. There's a thread or two on the subject somewhere, either in the MG5 forum or general chat.
I had all sorts of issues connecting in the first place then occasionally having AA spit out it's dummy and dropping the connection.
I researched a properly certified USB C cable that was rated to at least 5GB and as short as I could find (3 ft). So far, it's been faultless.
Amazon product ASIN B01GN0M6NE

I have a mk2 ZS Ev , AA and Waze works fine.
Does your Zs eV allow voice controlled phone calls while moving?.... My new ZS eV will only allow Google voice control when stationary. This problem has been flagged up also on the MG 4 forum It seems to be an AA issue I think

Does your Zs eV allow voice controlled phone calls while moving?.... My new ZS eV will only allow Google voice control when stationary. This problem has been flagged up also on the MG 4 forum It seems to be an AA issue I think
Turn off Hello MG in the settings menu. Google Voice control and Hello MG do not work together.

I researched a properly certified USB C cable that was rated to at least 5GB and as short as I could find (3 ft). So far, it's been faultless.
Amazon product ASIN B01GN0M6NE
Thanks for that. Certainly worth investing £8 to see if that is part of my problem. I have ordered 1 from Amazon. The cable I am using now is only .25m long but rated well under 1 GB My set up worked fine until the March update installed itself on my 'phone. Should know within a week or so whether this is the answer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom