MG culling small dealers

meangreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
8 car showroom? That is a lot of cars. I am not rural but my dealer doesn't stand a chance of displaying 8 cars. The building is nowhere near large enough.

My dealer is Ford/MG/Subaru and have room for 3 cars inside the showroom.. Lately that's been 1 or subarus as everything else is sold out. Now I can see why they're looking at planning to turn the plot into houses.

8 vehicles is a lot of space. Quite a few manufacturers are also insisting on x amount of EV charging and older/smaller dealers are struggling to get enough inbound from the grid to cope with that many as well as workshop requirements.

Interesting article. My local dealer certainly comes under the heading of "small" and "rural" but it does have the bonus of being the longest established MG dealer in the country.

Interesting article. My local dealer certainly comes under the heading of "small" and "rural" but it does have the bonus of being the longest established MG dealer in the country.
Sadly, do not think that matters if they can not display 8 vehicles. This where we are all at, it seems.

SAIC isn't looking at remaining where it was, but instead being a leading global brand. Perhaps they could revive MG Metros or M Types for selling via the small old dealerships? I'd be up for the latter. 😉
Or perhaps they'll completely rebrand at some point - I'm not sure of the relevance of Morris Garages to the new world order.

What is everyone's thoughts on this my dealer is a small showroom been there ever since it was rover etc has me worried reading this that I'll end up been in a position where my mg order goes walkies

What is everyone's thoughts on this my dealer is a small showroom been there ever since it was rover etc has me worried reading this that I'll end up been in a position where my mg order goes walkies
I’m sure your order is in safe hands, if they are authorised MG dealers they will follow the normal ordering procedure, sometimes a small dealer will give extra care and attention, I love to support small independents, it’s certainly a difficult time for them, well done you.

If it's a small dealer that does well with sales numbers, the cars on display figure might not be a hard and fast rule. If the small dealer is in a geographical area with no other major dealers, again, it will factor as customers won't generally drive too far for look for a new vehicle.

Problem comes with the suits think that bigger is better, and assume that however many sales a smaller showroom can make a bigger showroom would make more. Whilst there is some truth in that there's also a balance to be struck in less densely populated areas.
Cars are increasingly bought by people who view them as a commodity rather than being enthusiasts, and those people often equate large flashy showrooms with quality.

If MG do decide to remove the franchise from my local dealer where I purchased my ZS EV Trophy Connect, I will be selling the MG and look elsewhere in the ever expanding EV market place for a replacement - even though it would cost me more. My dealer also handles Skoda, so the Enyaq springs to mind.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom