MG Cyberster road test

As a coupe it would look better i reckon. Interesting that the reviewer has an F - Type. A car im considering.

Last edited:
SO two Chinese Youtubers with dubious motoring knowledge, producing propaganda on a litany of oriental rubbish, pronounce that the handling of the Cyberster is a bit rubbish (hence SLK quips), versus Autoexpress journalist who feels the car has good bones that will be seen on the track.

As for F-Types; watch out for terminal rot on the subframes. Pretty much all the case for modern Jags where, stupidly, steel parts are bolted onto aluminium parts, a recipe for accelerated galvanic corrosion.

From 1 minute., On the track with some understeer. The computer trying to correct it. You can see the weight a bit. Still balanced considering. 4:05 couple of launches. This is the X power AWD version. I like how the computer tells you the speed. They should add a timer then no need to waste money on draggy hardware lol. Brakes seem adequate enough. I'm guessing 4 piston front and rear.

Last edited:
Track test:

The MX5 has nothing to fear. MG stopped the journalists from turning off the electronic stability control. The RWD is probably the one to go for. Interesting observations about how the battery pack stiffens up the chassis. Some terrible ergonomics (seat controls rub on the legs......). Not a proper roadster. Probably ok for old man sunday drive.

Track test:

The MX5 has nothing to fear. MG stopped the journalists from turning off the electronic stability control. The RWD is probably the one to go for. Interesting observations about how the battery pack stiffens up the chassis. Some terrible ergonomics (seat controls rub on the legs......). Not a proper roadster. Probably ok for old man sunday drive.

Obviously to you, not a proper roadster means it's not a poxy little toy for the kids to throw around, like the MX5. Well good, I'd have no interest in it if it were, This is a much nicer, substantial grand tourer, will be great for driving long distances in comfort on Sundays or any other days I reckon. ;)

Obviously to you, not a proper roadster means it's not a poxy little toy for the kids to throw around, like the MX5. Well good, I'd have no interest in it if it were, This is a much nicer, substantial grand tourer, will be great for driving long distances in comfort on Sundays or any other days I reckon. ;)
What the reviewer said.

If you actually bothered to watch the video, rather than attack the messenger, you would have noted what the reviewer at 9:03 said:

So let me answer the question at the beginning. No its not a proper roadster. It's too heave and too complicated, but as for the part of putting (a) smile on the driver's face, well, yes, it has done an excellent job. Its probably the most exciting Chinese EV I have ever encountered

Average age of a new MX5 owner is 63, so obviously the first choice of many an old gipper, not kids.

The poxy little toy you referred to is actually a fair bit bigger than the Elan and MGB you are probably familiar with.

When actual reviewers get hold of it without MG minders outside of China, I have a feeling the MG will be found out. The reviewer said his minders wouldn't let him disable the electronic stability control. Hmm.

Track test:

I watched all of this expecting it to be negative and the reviewer loves the car saying it puts a smile on his face and is the most exciting Chinese EV he's ever encountered.

No, it isn't a lightweight cheap sports car - but anyone paying attention already knew that and the weight of EVs prevents them from being like that at present, so no surprise. As has been said here over and over again, this is a grand tourer competition for the upmarket brands.

I've owned an MX5 and as great a drive as they are, they are a complete pain to live with due to the cramped cockpit, lack of storage and lack of comfort. That's not what the Cyberster is competing with.

As to turning off traction control, everyone does that with journo first drives on a track, to stop them binning it. As he pointed out, you can turn it off completely, which in many competitors you can't and it handles well on the track, which is a bonus since it isn't aimed at the track.

Thanks for posting this video, it has reassured me that this is going to be a great car and my thinking around the lightest RWD version being the best to drive/buy is unchanged,

Last edited:
What the reviewer said.

If you actually bothered to watch the video, rather than attack the messenger, you would have noted what the reviewer at 9:03 said:

Average age of a new MX5 owner is 63, so obviously the first choice of many an old gipper, not kids.

The poxy little toy you referred to is actually a fair bit bigger than the Elan and MGB you are probably familiar with.

When actual reviewers get hold of it without MG minders outside of China, I have a feeling the MG will be found out. The reviewer said his minders wouldn't let him disable the electronic stability control. Hmm.
Fair enough, kids and old gippers then!

I did watch the video, not attacking, we just have differing opinions.

I'm aware of the size of the MX5, I don't like small cars much, would never be interested in an MGB, that really is toy sized.

Nowadays drivers are chasing performance and road presence if spending beyond economy. Small cars were great for a certain period and in the old days where efficiencies, lightweight and nimble.

The weight penalty im sure will be sorted once the battery technology is there. Yes it does weigh as much as a 4 door model 3. Thats probably where it falls short.

There are videos of the Cyberster doing donuts etc with possibly the Traction Control turned off.

Id say if you take away the EV aspect its probably competing with Mercedes SL Roadster which weighs around 1800KG

Promo has started lol

If it will make me look as good as her, it has to be worth a try! 😂
She got philosophical, i wonder how much book storage is available for those saturday summer morning drives to nowhere

That’s a looooong advert, MG must be targeting 30 something middle class single ladzzz in China🙂
With the 35 - 40,000 price point domestically also young ladies. My colleague from Hong Kong was telling me most people dont get paid more than 12k a year. So must be the top 20% in the financial, IT or public sectors. Either way finance makes dreams come true

Some in English

Wow lol this guy was so sideways at one point i thought it was tokyo drift. Imagine what the Cyberster will do derestricted. Limited by top speed, handling and weight me thinks. But for 30K not bad

Wow lol this guy was so sideways at one point i thought it was tokyo drift. Imagine what the Cyberster will do derestricted. Limited by top speed, handling and weight me thinks. But for 30K not bad

Looks like the X power brakes more than good enough to keep up with the Porker!

He's got Michelin Pilots on apparently

Short clip of highway test drive.

Short test drive video

A comprehensive review has been left by a buyer in Shanghai. Well detailed. Hit the translation button in your browser if your Chinese isn't up to standard.

Seems like they get some incentives and discounts for preorder. He even mentioned crowdfunding. Some issues with the door on some cars. Mostly software related.

On the track overtaking BMWs although understeer is apparent

On the track overtaking BMWs although understeer is apparent

Never really understood all this understeer, oversteer (wombling free) sh1t , or the the classic, "it's a driver's car", what ever the hell that means. :unsure: If it drives good. Goes good. And looks good, it'll do for me. Simples really. To me anyway. 🙂👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom