MG EV is it worth paying extra to buy from dealer?

RichardD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm looking to make the jump to electric vehicle very soon. There seems to be some good prices on 2022 mg5 long range exclusive models at the moment, going for around 20-23k on auto trader.

For a year old model, how important do you think it is to buy from an MG dealer?

I'm looking to make the jump to electric vehicle very soon. There seems to be some good prices on 2022 mg5 long range exclusive models at the moment, going for around 20-23k on auto trader.

For a year old model, how important do you think it is to buy from an MG dealer?
Check it has had the first year service, (if over a year) at an MG dealer, for warranty and free AA cover (MG Assist)

Hi, as above as long as the sevice has been done by an MG dealer then you should be ok.
Do you know what MG dealer originally supplied it?

Good question I will find out.

There seems to be a few coming to market that are very competitively priced.

Hi, as above as long as the sevice has been done by an MG dealer then you should be ok.
Do you know what MG dealer originally supplied it?

Try and do a bit of investigation into its history.
Was it a pre reg / XDemo / Privately owned car for example ?.
If privately owned, what / why was it traded in after such a short time ?.
Ask the dealer to check if the car has had any warranty work carried out, as this will all be on record.
This may give some indication if the car has had issues and therefore traded in due to it spending a lot of time at a dealership.
If the car is straight, they will be more than willing to carry out these checks for you.
If they refuse or are not willing then be cautious.
It’s unlike the car will have suffered any accident damage, as the wait on parts is so long 🤣.
But you could run a check yourself via the normal people who offer this type of paid service.
These measures on a nearly new car, may on the face of it, appear to be a bit extreme.
But trading in a car when it is only 12 months has an underlying story to tell.
It’s possible that somebody decided to upgrade to a face lift model or the MG4 ?.

I think a lot of EVs were traded in after a short period of ownership for various reasons, e.g. the stress of long journeys compared to owners' previous ICE cars, the disappointment in the real world range compared the manufacturers (and WLTP) claims etc. I think that's one of the reasons that second hand values have tanked.

I think a lot of EVs were traded in after a short period of ownership for various reasons, e.g. the stress of long journeys compared to owners' previous ICE cars, the disappointment in the real world range compared the manufacturers (and WLTP) claims etc. I think that's one of the reasons that second hand values have tanked.
Agreed 👍 - You just have to be a bit wary of the odd “Bad Egg” hiding 🫣 in the pack🤣.

No to mention first time EV owners quickly moving on to their second. I sold my first EV after 1 year to upgrade.

Many sold because they were tempted by the (then) crazy second hand prices being offered.
A relative of mine traded in his Gen1 ZS EV right when the prices peaked.
His long awaited ZS EV Gen2 had just arrived.
The dealer bought the car in at top money and almost three months later, it is still on their forecourt unsold, they are asking the very same price that my relative received as the PX price for the car.
He had the car about two years and covered only 8,000 miles.
He received the same price back in trade in value as he paid for it.
The problem now is because the prices have fallen from the stupid heights that they had climbed too, the screen price on these cars are very expensive.
Who would have thought even six months ago, that a second hand EV would be sitting on a forecourt STILL for sale after three months !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom