MG EV5 Long Range and Roof Rack Range

DaveEV5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi, I’m looking to buy the new MG5 EV long range. They quote 250 miles for the 61kwh battery. What sort of miles per kWh could I expect on a motorway doing 65-70mph over long distance in winter and in summer. Is it possible to get 250mile range purely motorway driving do you think in both winter and summer or is that unrealistic?

I’d also be interested to know if anyone has any roof rack with bike stats! Anyone have any miles per kWh with bikes on the roof?

Thanks in advance may sway my decision!

EV Database is a good starting point for information across a variety of driving types and weather conditions - worth comparing any EV you’re shortlisting but colder weather and speed always reduce ‘ideal world’ range.

Anything that adds wind resistant (roofbox or bikes) or increases weight (passengers or luggage) will affect range - same way it impacts MPG on an ICE car.

Lifted from EV Database

Real Range : between 150 - 320 mi​

City - Cold Weather210 mi
Highway - Cold Weather150 mi
Combined - Cold Weather175 mi

City - Mild Weather320 mi
Highway - Mild Weather190 mi
Combined - Mild Weather240 mi

Or, expressed from an energy usage perspective

Real Energy Consumption : between 175 - 380 Wh/mi​

City - Cold Weather270 Wh/mi
Highway - Cold Weather380 Wh/mi
Combined - Cold Weather325 Wh/mi

City - Mild Weather175 Wh/mi
Highway - Mild Weather300 Wh/mi
Combined - Mild Weather235 Wh/mi

Last edited:
Very roughly you can expect any ev range to drop by about 30% when temps get close to zero compared to summer.
The problem with trying to predict more accurately is that it depends on so many outside factors. Temperature, weather conditions, traffic, your driving style (aggressive = less range). Use of electronics like heating and wipers has a small effect but constant use obviously means a bit more battery power used up.
What you will do is adapt, you will come to know your vehicle and where best to go to top up on regular journies.

Very roughly you can expect any ev range to drop by about 30% when temps get close to zero compared to summer.
The problem with trying to predict more accurately is that it depends on so many outside factors. Temperature, weather conditions, traffic, your driving style (aggressive = less range). Use of electronics like heating and wipers has a small effect but constant use obviously means a bit more battery power used up.
What you will do is adapt, you will come to know your vehicle and where best to go to top up on regular journies.
And possibly another 25% drop for motorway driving.
So basically plan for half the best range, expect 130 (ish) miles at worst.

My own experience with faster driving ( no motorways where I am) on dual carriageways is that it's less efficient but not massively so by itself. I notice the biggest hit when driving aggressively, i.e. overtaking.
As I said above and I think its true of every ev driver is that you adapt your driving style to suit the car. Personally I only ever drive in eco mode with full kers and the car still accellerates faster and more smoothly than anything I've ever driven before.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom