• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 12 July 2021 @ 7:30pm BST

Re Pilot and its impact on brakes/regen not sure why it would have that interaction but I haven't owned a ZS EV. As for brake light activation I assume the Mk2 will like the Mk1 (its the same car with bigger battery, MG Pilot and stronger roof bars only) will be required to have the brake light working when regen brake g-force hits the level required by law, can't remember off the top of my head what that is but its too high IMHO and the lights come on only under strong regen and can catch out following traffic.

I distinctly recall talk of a refresh when the MG5 was first premiered, in 2020 objectively to fix the MG pilot safety suite to enable the car to acheive a useful Ncap rating, this was way before any sign the EU MG were planning to do their own LHD version .
as for depreciation , compared to the ZSEV there are limited numbers on UK roads since the Nov Launch , so anyone wanting a 'Estate EV ' there is only going to be one used option for some time to come.

Re Pilot and its impact on brakes/regen not sure why it would have that interaction but I haven't owned a ZS EV.
The system used on the ZS EV is an off the shelf Bosch L2 autonomous driving system that is presumably designed for ICE cars that don’t have regenerative braking. Assumption is that they’ll fit the same to the 5, but I guess nobody will know until they’re delivered - MG never seem very forthcoming with that kind of technical detail.

Every day a learning day re MG pilot origins and capabilities. My point against depreciation is based on the fact the used Mk1 whilst useful to some because it will be so cheap, but it will be the obsolete smaller battery, less options alternative, with used buyers a bit less worried about depreciation it may still worry some of them that there are two newer models on the market. Plus the discounted prices they will need to shift the last few Mk1s once the mK2 arrives in Sept and probably again when the Mk2 subsequently is superseded by the more capable face lift model will significantly impact the value of 2 year old Mk1 cars. I don't think the Mk2 will survive the arrival of the face lift either and will once stock is sold it will also be withdrawn with only the face lift left on the table. There is a reason most manufacturers space out updates, facelift, new models its to ensure the approved used market is kept buoyant and that customers are not nervous about buying new in case a newer version is just round the corner..

I hope so Miles but with due respect as an employee is that the best spin you can put on it. Having a future market for mk1 is possible at the right (low) price. There would have to be a significate delta between the old, relatively new and new models and if you are at the bottom of that chain you will lose out. I hear you re other lower battery capacity models when new come along, but 3 models in potentially 18 months! The "slight" buoyancy of which you speak is unlilely in the next 18 months. So come on, which manufacturer has done 3 sequentially better models in such a short time ever and if they have are you really asking us to believe residuals will be ok? I hear the MG MD is on tour tell him how customers feel let down by the use of UK as a clearing house for old stock. Want to buy a car?
Tesla. They update their models every couple of months with tweaks and new features. If you order one now it is likely to have been updated by the time you receive it.

Really, is the the best comparison you can suggest? Tesla update software every month or so They do not add a model update with a bigger battery and completely new electronic wizardry that wasn't there before then follow it by a facelift which requires homologation ..............Tesla software updates not the same is it really?

Having watched the podcast now I have two questions .
The incoming stock has the 61.1kWh battery + the pilot suite hardware but it is only increased the kerb weight by 15kg .

Now my ZSEV has NMC 523 (141wh/kg)
The Chinese MG5 (Ei5 ) now uses LiFePO4 'LFP' ( like the Chinese made model 3 ) 180wh/kg

What chemistry Battery does the new 61.1kWh MG5 have?
,it's obviously a higher package density if it can pack an additional 10kWh in the same space with minimal weight added ?

2nd with adding of the MG pilot will it mean no KERS on ACC , like the ZSEV .

Having watched the podcast now I have two questions .
The incoming stock has the 61.1kWh battery + the pilot suite hardware but it is only increased the kerb weight by 15kg .

Now my ZSEV has NMC 523 (141wh/kg)
The Chinese MG5 (Ei5 ) now uses LiFePO4 'LFP' ( like the Chinese made model 3 ) 180wh/kg

What chemistry Battery does the new 61.1kWh MG5 have?
,it's obviously a higher package density if it can pack an additional 10kWh in the same space with minimal weight added ?

2nd with adding of the MG pilot will it mean no KERS on ACC , like the ZSEV .
Hi Martin,

Rather unhelpfully, I don't know the answer to either of your questions, but I'll try to find out once the demonstrator lands with us next week.

Kind regards,
Miles

Cheers , I always like to know what I'm 'sitting on'
CATL SAIC were developing high nickel/low cobalt NMC811 cells , but after all the fun and games BMW FORD GM, and especially Hyundai have had with these I think they are sticking with the tried and trusted.
The newRoewe ER 6 installed NMC523 cells with an energy density of 243 Wh/kg. They can operate at a higher cell voltage and are much more stable than 811 chemistry. So I'm hoping MG are getting these.
I checked, our 44.5kWh ZSEV has a 161wh/kg density so the new packs have a 50% increase over the 2019 battery without adding any weight.

Hmmm, I placed a deposit yesterday but the 35kg roof load has always been problematic- maybe time to re-evaluate the order assuming MG Affinity still applies to the MK2 model.
Did you amend your order for a long range version on MG Affinity, and importantly when do you get your MG5?

I wonder how many original 5s they still have to sell? the differential in price from an Excite original 5 and the long range models will still make it attractive if you want reasonable range and not bothered by pilot. But I still think there will be heavy discounting come Nov to shift the original 5s because they need to clear them out as we will not get anymore. Original 5s residuals will slide and make great used buys.....not so great for early adopters with Extended range here now and facelift coming soon

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom