• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 2 May 2022 @ 7:30pm BST

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

We bring you the latest news from the world of MG EVs including the latest on MG ZS EV delays, the MG5 refresh, rumours about the MG4 EV plus opinion from MG EV owners.

We look forward to your company, questions and feedback on the livestream at 7:30pm BST on Bank Holiday Monday 2nd May.

Looking forward to this!

With regard to the ZS EV delays topic, I'd love if somebody can shed light on the below. Are some dealers being prioritised over others?:
Update from my dealer today - For the last year as all of us know there has been delays due to the chip shortages and now adding to the delay is the Russia - Ukraine war. During the Chip shortage period many dealers have placed fake orders (Fake orders in general is a common practice). And MG is aware of this. However due to the chip shortage issues causing delays in the production, MG insisted to all dealers not place fake orders. Many dealers however still continued to place the fake orders. Effective 8th April 2022, MG started to scrutinise every order and the Dealers and began to charge a penalty of £.1500/- for each fake order and pulling the fake ordered vehicle out of them. Where did the vehicles go? - They are being and have been sent to the dealers who are following the rules and are in good relations with MG. If you have booked your vehicles through any of those good dealers, and if you have paid the full cost of the vehicle during booking, and if the withdrawn vehicles from the dealers who did not obey MG's instructions match your order, you will have a better chance of getting your vehicle earlier than the rest. Many of such vehicles are being delivered to customers from this week onwards.
It'd also be great to know how information on order status is disseminated by MG to all dealers... Depending which one you call, the stories customers are told as to the delays are wildly different.

And with regard to the MG5 refresh, given current delivery delays how far into 2023 is it likely to materialise here?

Thanks!

I think it's high time we were given the state of play personally. We have all ordered in good faith. I know that there have been delays with computer chips, the war in Ukraine and shipping delays, but there has been next to no contact from the dealers unless you contact them. They're not exactly run off their feet at the moment are they and I'm sure they could spend some time contacting their customers to bring them up to speed. And the information from MG Motors UK is totally non-existant. The whole process has become a nightmare from start to finish. I am sure that if things had been done better many potential customers would not have cancelled their orders. But the response is that they can always sell it to someone else so it doesn't matter.
COME ON MG.......GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.!!!!!

Totally selfishly the following would be interesting to get an insight on from someone knowledgeable:

• the difference between lead times in mainland Europe and the UK
  • differences in lead times between the different models and model variants (eg standard vs posh/ LR vs SR)
  • common faults on new models and progress on correcting them
  • are the left hand drive models basically the same as the right hand drive models, or are there any significant differences?
  • why is the new MG5 more expensive than the equivilant ZS (in Europe) - I was holding out for the 5 but the price increase was a surprise

Hi Stu - It’s been a while since the last pod cast and I am looking forward to hearing from the team.
I would like Miles to give his thoughts and advice on why lucky new ZS EV facelift owners, have been serious issues when trying to use the rapid chargers 🔌 !.
Resulting in the car getting “Bricked” and then requiring recovery to a dealer and then codes being removed.
Thanks 🙏.

I'd echo @Lovemyev with the rapid charger question. It's not a problem I've encountered yet but it is giving me the anxiety when I'm doing longer trips for work.

I'd like to think it would be sorted pretty damn quick and id like to know if MG would contact owners if a dealer update is required.

One more...

In the 28/02/2022 podcast, Miles mentioned that SAIC had ordered and bought 2 transporter ships for itself, but that they weren't due to come online for a month or two. Has there has been any update as to the progress on this since then as to whether these are now operational?

And if they're not ready yet, has MG shared any other means by which they plan to tackle the shipping issues?

Hi Stuart, on the podcast on Monday evening, can you ask Miles if he can shed any light on how MG allocate cars, every dealer has a different story, I’m being told by the salesman that I haven’t got a build date Assign to my name or order, I ordered on the 8th of November 2021, now I do know of people who ordered after me and they’re getting their cars before me, so I’m just wondering how this might happen and why no build allocated to my order?
Thanks I’m advance. Ady.

Hi Stuart
I believe there are 2 boats with MG's due to arrive Portbury in May. Both are now loaded and en route.. When will dealers be told how many vehicles they will be getting off each boat
and which customer orders they can allocate against these vehicles ?

If anyone here would like to join the podcast tonight to ask the questions directly, please start a conversation with me to arrange a test Zoom call in advance.

I'd echo @Lovemyev with the rapid charger question. It's not a problem I've encountered yet but it is giving me the anxiety when I'm doing longer trips for work.

I'd like to think it would be sorted pretty damn quick and id like to know if MG would contact owners if a dealer update is required.
I only started listening to the podcast and was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to be something they were covering. Hope it was as it is causing me some concern to the point that I won't rapid charge my car until it's sorted

There was a bit @Miles Roberts CG mentioned with regards software versions, but no I don't think was covered in much depth. I was in Chorley MG the other week picking up a part and asked if there were any updates for the car - they didn't seem to think there were.

There was a bit @Miles Roberts CG mentioned with regards software versions, but no I don't think was covered in much depth. I was in Chorley MG the other week picking up a part and asked if there were any updates for the car - they didn't seem to think there were.
Yeah I asked the service desk at Mangoletsi and I don't think they even knew about the problem!

Needs sorting really. An issue of this magnitude I'd be expecting the dealer (directed by the manufacturer) to contact the customer, not the other way around. Particularly given there's not many of these cars out there yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom