• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 20 December 2021 @ 7:30pm UTC

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

This week, we discuss the cut in the UK EV grant plus we share our stories of MG EV ownership.

Please reply with any feedback and suggestions.
Thanks

First of all Happy Xmas everyone, I ordered a Trophy at my local dealer on the 5th Dec paid deposit and done the finance paperwork at the same time, rang the dealer Thurs 16th for a price of a space saver wheel, dealer said had I heard the news about the grant, I said yes , he said he is waiting for a reply from MG ! I'm thinking what's this to do with my order, then he said he could not do the grant as he never had a ETA for the car? then said I'm sure it will be ok, any thoughts how do I stand cheers

I'm sure it will be fine. My view would be that as they accepted a deposit you have entered into a contract to supply on the 5th of Dec. Subsequent changes in grants and eligibility only apply to orders from the inception of these changes.

First of all Happy Xmas everyone, I ordered a Trophy at my local dealer on the 5th Dec paid deposit and done the finance paperwork at the same time, rang the dealer Thurs 16th for a price of a space saver wheel, dealer said had I heard the news about the grant, I said yes , he said he is waiting for a reply from MG ! I'm thinking what's this to do with my order, then he said he could not do the grant as he never had a ETA for the car? then said I'm sure it will be ok, any thoughts how do I stand cheers
Unless your dealer delayed submitting your order on the system then you should be fine having paid your deposit before the announcement. The spacesaver is a seller option not part of the vehicle order.

Unless your dealer delayed submitting your order on the system then you should be fine having paid your deposit before the announcement. The spacesaver is a seller option not part of the vehicle order.
Yea I only wanted a price 👍

I've got a question for tonight's podcast if you have time please? I've read that the ZS ev trophy and trophy connect models don't qualify for the plug in grant any more due to their book price being over 32k however the government website about it here: Low-emission vehicles eligible for a plug-in grant names both models specifically as being eligible. Anybody got any clarification please? Cheers, Sam

I've got a question for tonight's podcast if you have time please? I've read that the ZS ev trophy and trophy connect models don't qualify for the plug in grant any more due to their book price being over 32k however the government website about it here: Low-emission vehicles eligible for a plug-in grant names both models specifically as being eligible. Anybody got any clarification please? Cheers, Sam
I think because it doesn't state "long range" then it means the new "short range" models for trophy and trophy connect because there are 2 SE models listed and only one SE has the "long range" moniker. What's amazing is that a government web site is more up to date than MG's!:eek:

That's got to be a first for the government to be more up to date than anyone on anything!

Do you want to know what the 9 most terrifying words you can ever hear are?

'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'! 🤣

Watch the pod cast, the PICG grant is the first thing under discussion.
Miles runs through the situation.
The Chorley group aims to apply for the PICG grant within 24 hours of receiving the deposit and then placing the order where possible.
Anybody who has placed an order with them, before the cut off is okay.
The only fear is that if your dealer has NOT submitted the PICG in time, this could give you a problem.
Miles recommends that you should get an assurance, that your car has been ordered and the grant applied for.
Check out the pod cast !.

Watch the pod cast, the PICG grant is the first thing under discussion.
Miles runs through the situation.
The Chorley group aims to apply for the PICG grant within 24 hours of receiving the deposit and then placing the order where possible.
Anybody who has placed an order with them, before the cut off is okay.
The only fear is that if your dealer has NOT submitted the PICG in time, this could give you a problem.
Miles recommends that you should get an assurance, that your car has been ordered and the grant applied for.
Check out the pod cast !.
Yep I was there

Yep I was there
Hi @BarryH.
Yeah - I did see you post in the comments field thanks.
A great source of information and a bit of banter thrown in for good measure.
Just a shame John & Pat could not join us as planned.
Nice to see Jake joining this week.
Thanks to everybody for time they have taken, in bringing the pod cast to us.

This is a much better approach than the delusional belief that touching someone else's vehicle without permission is ever OK. Anyone perceived to be tampering with another person's property may well put their safety at risk.

I do think most people are considerate of others and would probably end their session once the rate slows down anyway. That being said if someone wants a full 100% and they are paying for the privilege, then so be it...they don't owe us an explanation of their onward journey. The infrastructure is where continued pressure needs to be applied, not the customer.

Last edited:
The infrastructure is where continued pressure needs to be applied, not the customer.
On this point, you are totally correct.
At the current rate of EV take up and the lack of pace regarding the charging infrastructure, this situation is only going to get a lot worse.
I get one of the advantages of having a bigger battery, is that you have the opportunity to skip chargers that are packed full.
At my local Tesco they have four 7kw Pod Point posts that are free to use for customers.
I can go there any day between Monday to Friday and there is a massive Merc EV parked in the same bay, pulling a charge.
Nobody needs that much shopping surely !.
He / She must work close by and leaves it there all day, every working day.
Monopolising the charger 5 days a week 8 hours a day is a bit much in my book.
At a local new Aldi just around the corner, there is another four A/C posts.
The EV bays are free most of the time because the wall box only provides juice for 1 hour and then stops !.
They have soon got wise to people leaving their cars there all day and buggering off.
Likely not even patronising the shop either !.

This is a much better approach than the delusional belief that touching someone else's vehicle without permission is ever OK. Anyone tampering with my property would be lucky to leave with only broken fingers.

I do think most people are considerate of others and would probably end their session once the rate slows down anyway. That being said if someone wants a full 100% and they are paying for the privilege, then so be it...they don't owe us an explanation of their onward journey. The infrastructure is where continued pressure needs to be applied, not the customer.
You're entitled to your point of view of course, but if a charge is finished and the plug can be removed there is no need to touch the fully charged car. As to your point about "paying for the privilege" that only applies to certain charge networks not all and the occupying of a charging bay when no longer charging would in all likelihood be an infringement of the terms of service and implied contract to purchase charging not parking.

As to your threat to break my fingers should I have the misfortune of crossing your path I regard as a threat of assault and something which has no place on this forum and must ask you politely to retract the threat.

On this point, you are totally correct.
At the current rate of EV take up and the lack of pace regarding the charging infrastructure, this situation is only going to get a lot worse.
I get one of the advantages of having a bigger battery, is that you have the opportunity to skip chargers that are packed full.
At my local Tesco they have four 7kw Pod Point posts that are free to use for customers.
I can go there any day between Monday to Friday and there is a massive Merc EV parked in the same bay, pulling a charge.
Nobody needs that much shopping surely !.
He / She must work close by and leaves it there all day, every working day.
Monopolising the charger 5 days a week 8 hours a day is a bit much in my book.
At a local new Aldi just around the corner, there is another four A/C posts.
The EV bays are free most of the time because the wall box only provides juice for 1 hour and then stops !.
They have soon got wise to people leaving their cars there all day and buggering off.
Likely not even patronising the shop either !.
I absolutely disagree with people commandeering a charger as if it's their own personal home unit. I feel this isn't only poor etiquette on the users part but goes back to poor management too - it's for the business in question to tackle those who abuse their service and put prevention in place. In an ideal world everyone would have at least a little care for others and understand being in the same charging boat so to speak, but unfortunately there is always that minority of people who are selfish in all walks of life.

Unfortunately as it currently stands it's up to others to complain and for action to be taken....I'd have no issue with fines for overstay if say more than 2 hours, or as you said - having a time limit on the box before it cuts you off. But as frustrating as these people are, never would I tamper with someone else's property whether or not it requires me to only 'technically' touch the plug.

Our local Asda has a good few points, but 99% of the time they're ICEd or don't work. Too many business I feel put the service in initially as a gimmick to draw customers but don't actually care about it.

You're entitled to your point of view of course, but if a charge is finished and the plug can be removed there is no need to touch the fully charged car. As to your point about "paying for the privilege" that only applies to certain charge networks not all and the occupying of a charging bay when no longer charging would in all likelihood be an infringement of the terms of service and implied contract to purchase charging not parking.

If someone has taken the biscuit with a charger then I'd raise it as an issue with the service provider. It's for them to deal with any breaches in terms of service, and/or include very clear signage in each bay that in the event that the charge is complete then another party can go ahead and disconnect their vehicle.

As long as that's very clear on/around the terminal then all patrons know what to expect should they not be in their car when the session ends.

And although nothing in my comment was in reference to nor intended to be aimed at anyone specifically, I have edited it so as to not trigger anyone sensitive :)

Last edited:
By way of an update to the 'can you': 'can't you' unplug the charger from a vehicle with 100% charge. According to the person I spoke with at GridServe at some length today, you absolutely can unplug another vehicle and if you are able to park alongside and start a charge you can do that too.

EVM is one of many YouTubers who have addressed this on their YouTube Channels in recent years especially when there were far fewer chargers on the various networks and something often advised is to photograph the area of the car around the charge port to have evidence of any preexisting damage if any and also the evidence that it is fully charged. Then remove the charger's plug and photograph the car again so as to provide evidence that you caused no harm to the other's car.

The day will come (2030) when there will be more charger parking, than ice parking 😄😄

The day will come (2030) when there will be more charger parking, than ice parking 😄😄
All my usual joking and being tongue-in-cheek aside, this it what I hope for - charging shouldn't have to be a battle.

The way some are dragging their heels though, it seems like it's up to the users to keep pressing. I'm already on my workplace's back to sort out their points and also gently (for me anyway😁) encouraging those in our area with EVs to request lamppost chargers.

Fingers crossed we'll soon all have better services.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom