• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 25th January 2021 @ 7:30pm UTC

Thanks for your questions and feedback.
Just as with the ZS EV roof rails issue, I would suggest you think about talking to people - dealers, MG, Miles etc. asking for clarification in the promotional media hoping for a reasonable outcome before pouring a can of petrol over yourself in the MG Longbridge carpark and lighting a match.

Last edited:
Thanks for your questions and feedback.
Just as with the ZS EV roof rails issue, I would suggest you think about talking to people - dealers, MG, Miles etc. asking for clarification in the promotional media hoping for a reasonable outcome before pouring a can of petrol over yourself in the MG Longbridge carpark and lighting a match.
The brochures states the below...a full 7 year warranty....

7 year warranty
Like all MGs, the MG ZS EV has a full 7-year / 80,000 mile warranty, which includes the lithium-ion battery, giving you complete peace of mind throughout your ownership and guaranteeing that fully trained MG technicians will always be on hand to help. Both the vehicle and battery warranty are transferable to future owners.

Ref Warranty.
I understand your frustration, but in my experience the warranty on most cars do not include 'wear and tear' items. I am very sceptical of manufacturer warranty as usually there is some obscure caveat in their terms and conditions. In some ways it is good that MG have clearly specified what warranty they offer on items eg, clutch, brakes etc.
The warranty details attached in Cocico,s post is included in MG Terms and Conditions of sale.

N.B. I have no connection with MG Motors, but was reviewing the T & C's on MG's website a couple of days ago as I am interested in buying one of their EV's.

Ref Warranty.
I understand your frustration, but in my experience the warranty on most cars do not include 'wear and tear' items. I am very sceptical of manufacturer warranty as usually there is some obscure caveat in their terms and conditions. In some ways it is good that MG have clearly specified what warranty they offer on items eg, clutch, brakes etc.
The warranty details attached in Cocico,s post is included in MG Terms and Conditions of sale.

N.B. I have no connection with MG Motors, but was reviewing the T & C's on MG's website a couple of days ago as I am interested in buying one of their EV's.
I guess the challenge is wether you feel that MG in their marketing and how the 7 Year warranty is worded and used is clear enough up front and is not used as a marketing and sales ploy in a misleading way. There are a lot of people who interpret a 7 Year warranty on a car as just that. Yes they should read the small print - but manufacturers also need to be up front. Most people I feel will accept wear and tear exclusions - to a degree. Personally, I would like to see the warranty message be more in line with other manufacturers - something like ‘3 Year limited warranty with 7 Years and 80,000 miles cover on motor and battery’ For example.

I guess the challenge is wether you feel that MG in their marketing and how the 7 Year warranty is worded and used is clear enough up front and is not used as a marketing and sales ploy in a misleading way. There are a lot of people who interpret a 7 Year warranty on a car as just that. Yes they should read the small print - but manufacturers also need to be up front. Most people I feel will accept wear and tear exclusions - to a degree. Personally, I would like to see the warranty message be more in line with other manufacturers - something like ‘3 Year limited warranty with 7 Years and 80,000 miles cover on motor and battery’ For example.
I fully accept wear and tear, but electrical item like the infotainment system I would definitely expect it to be covered; not only for three years!!
I will not make a song and a dance out of this until I personally need to, that said if I need to I will take this matter all the way as none of the documents that I was presented identified this warranty break down and nor was it discussed during my many conversations with the sales team.

For me at the moment it’s no big issue. I’ve said before that time will tell. Perhaps MG will be very responsive and good in sorting out customers cars under warranty - who knows? I’ve said before - my short experience is so far a good one. I suppose the real niggle was that on the face of it, it does look like the 7 Year warranty has been used as a majot selling point and when you drill further into it, it doesn’t look as robust as many people maybe have been led to believe. Being a relatively new brand (Chinese owned anyway) it requires usp’s that people will take to in order to sell and build confidence - the warranty is a big part of this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom