MG first rev and some issues

yukyolol

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi everyone. I have an MG EHS PHEV bought in June 2022. I have the 1st rev at the end of this month. The car has now, 11500 km, and to be honest, it's incredible how easy and good the car is.

But I have recently found some issues with my car (not critical ones) but as I have the first rev in two weeks I would like to ask them to fix all the issues.

1) Issue with the driver door speaker. When music is too loud, and it has high bass (dumb/reverberation), the speaker makes a "croishy" noise, like when you crush an empty water bottle with your hands, It is VERY annoying when the song specially "dumbs".

2) When braking at very, very low speed, the brakes make an "old house noise", like when you walk in an old wooden house. If you apply some more strength to the brake pedal then the sound disappears, but if you are moving very, very slow, and you press very slowly the brake it makes that annoying sound, and also it happens if you release very, very slow the brake and the car starts moving, but you still have the brake pedal in the "release" movement.

3) The Data USB port is almost NEVER working. I have tried to use CarPlay with an iOS. Original apple wire. Sporadically, it works, but if the wire moves just an inch the CarPlay stops working, and then you have to unplug and plug the wire 20 times and in one of the "plugs" it will work again. The USB wire has to be in an intermediate position regarding the USB input because if you insert the wire all the way it will not connect. This is specially annoying when doing long road trips, and I'm using Waze, spotify, etc…

What do you think? They will be able to easily fix all the issues that I have? I heard from one of the MG dealers that they are missing a lot of "replacement parts" in Spain.

I appreciate the opinions of other EHS PHEV owners and if you are experiencing any of the mentioned issues that I have.

Kindly regards.

Hi everyone. I have an MG EHS PHEV bought in June 2022. I have the 1st rev at the end of this month. The car has now, 11500 km, and to be honest, it's incredible how easy and good the car is.

But I have recently found some issues with my car (not critical ones) but as I have the first rev in two weeks I would like to ask them to fix all the issues.

1) Issue with the driver door speaker. When music is too loud, and it has high bass (dumb/reverberation), the speaker makes a "croishy" noise, like when you crush an empty water bottle with your hands, It is VERY annoying when the song specially "dumbs".

2) When braking at very, very low speed, the brakes make an "old house noise", like when you walk in an old wooden house. If you apply some more strength to the brake pedal then the sound disappears, but if you are moving very, very slow, and you press very slowly the brake it makes that annoying sound, and also it happens if you release very, very slow the brake and the car starts moving, but you still have the brake pedal in the "release" movement.

3) The Data USB port is almost NEVER working. I have tried to use CarPlay with an iOS. Original apple wire. Sporadically, it works, but if the wire moves just an inch the CarPlay stops working, and then you have to unplug and plug the wire 20 times and in one of the "plugs" it will work again. The USB wire has to be in an intermediate position regarding the USB input because if you insert the wire all the way it will not connect. This is specially annoying when doing long road trips, and I'm using Waze, spotify, etc…

What do you think? They will be able to easily fix all the issues that I have? I heard from one of the MG dealers that they are missing a lot of "replacement parts" in Spain.

I appreciate the opinions of other EHS PHEV owners and if you are experiencing any of the mentioned issues that I have.

Kindly regards.
I don’t own a HS PHEV but will try and offer my opinion with regards to offering help with question(s) :-
1) It very much sounds like either the drivers door speaker is being pushed too hard and it is distorting badly, which it turn has caused it to fail and simply has “blown out”.
You can ask the dealer to replace it ?.
But if you like to play your music 🎶 loud, then it maybe worth upgrading the quality of your front speaker anyway ?.

2) The “Growning” noise you can hear 👂 from the brakes, sounds like it is just the car trying to “creep” forward when you only have light pressure applied to the foot brake, say at the traffic lights.
The car is wanting to pull / “creep” forward and you are preventing this from happening.
As soon as you slightly easy the pressure with your foot 🦶 you will hear the groaning noise I would suspect ?.
It is very likely that the noise is coming from the front of the car and you maybe able to feel it through your foot and will more evident first thing in the morning, if the car has been standing a day or so ?.
Likely there is some light surface rust on the brake disc’s which makes this situation very common, full BEV’s can suffer from this problem a LOT due to the effects of Regen braking and therefore the lack of foot brake use.
I have no experience of your issue in your question 3 - Sorry 😞.

Last edited:
Hi
The speaker is faulty and needs replacing, this may not be covered by warranty but go to a person who fits car radio eg and they will do it for you.

The brake sounds like the pad is vibrating, the back of the pad which metal vibrates against the metal piston so makes a noise Because this is dry. Ruling out that the pads are not low and the disc ( at this low mileage should be fine ) then I would ask them to strip and apply something called Copper Grease on the back of the pad and this should stop this.

As to the usb I would get a new cable and something called WD40 contact spray and spray the socket the stiff is designed to clean the contacts and remove lose bits, then try the new cable.

Hi
The speaker is faulty and needs replacing, this may not be covered by warranty but go to a person who fits car radio eg and they will do it for you.

The brake sounds like the pad is vibrating, the back of the pad which metal vibrates against the metal piston so makes a noise Because this is dry. Ruling out that the pads are not low and the disc ( at this low mileage should be fine ) then I would ask them to strip and apply something called Copper Grease on the back of the pad and this should stop this.

As to the usb I would get a new cable and something called WD40 contact spray and spray the socket the stiff is designed to clean the contacts and remove lose bits, then try the new cable.

How this is not covered by warranty if the speaker is probably broken? How did I break a speaker just using the music, too loud? Well, I'm just "using" the volume that the car allows to use…
About the USB, I forgot to mention I tried with 3 different original cables, so I don't think the issue it's with the cable or the phone, it's on the car's USB female input. As said, if I just blow the cable while it's connected, it will disconnect the CarPlay.

I don’t own a HS PHEV but will try and offer my opinion with regards to offering help with question(s) :-
1) It very much sounds like either the drivers door speaker is being pushed too hard and it is distorting badly, which it turn has caused it to fail and simply has “blown out”.
You can ask the dealer to replace it ?.
But if you like to play your music 🎶 loud, then it maybe worth upgrading the quality of your front speaker anyway ?.

2) The “Growning” noise you can hear 👂 from the brakes, sounds like it is just the car trying to “creep” forward when you only have light pressure applied to the foot brake, say at the traffic lights.
The car is wanting to pull / “creep” forward and you are preventing this from happening.
As soon as you slightly easy the pressure with your foot 🦶 you will hear the groaning noise I would suspect ?.
It is very likely that the noise is coming from the front of the car and you maybe able to feel it through your foot and will more evident first thing in the morning, if the car has been standing a day or so ?.
Likely there is some light surface rust on the brake disc’s which makes this situation very common, full BEV’s can suffer from this problem a LOT due to the effects of Regen braking and therefore the lack of foot brake use.
I have no experience of your issue in your question 3 - Sorry 😞.

1) I'm planning to replace the speakers anyway in a few months, the music shop that I want to go to has a full schedule until the end of this year… so for now, I would like to have the speaker fixed.
2) Yes, the noise is coming from the front of the car, but in other PHEV cars that I used they don't make that "old house noise" when braking slowly, I mean I'm a careful driver and I don't like to just push pedals or release them as I'm playing the mole game…

hi. i have an mg one and face the same problem with the usb connection. i could get around it by buying a wireless adapter for carplay. i leave that one plugged in and my iphone always connects wirelessly when i enter the car. so far no trouble with random disconnects. i would recommend you to try this out. you can get such adapters in amazon or aliexpress. cheers tolga

Agree with tolga. I had similar problems then went for a AAWireless dongle, just sits in under the USB console cover, no wires to see or get knocked. I have found that using WAZE for navigation is 99% perfect, whereas Google still dropped out far too often.

Attachments

• 20220511_134856.jpg
    20220511_134856.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 45
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom